Bug Report OBS Studio Crashes Randomly on Mac - Possibly Related to StreamDeck

For context, I had an existing bug report related to the browser source specifically for Streamlabs alert box and chat. I removed all Streamlabs browser sources and had a few successful streams, then started running into more crashing issues. (Original thread here: https://obsproject.com/forum/thread...y-when-live-and-using-browser-captures.98979/)

I've attached the new log file for what's going on, but it's super unclear why I'm crashing as it has appeared to happen at random intervals. Sometimes when live, sometimes when not live. I assume the relevant lines are somewhere in these though:

20:04:33.827: ---------------------------------
20:04:34.155: [Python] Python failure in obs_scripting_load_python:1675:
20:04:34.155: [Python] Error importing obspython.py', unloading obs-python
20:04:34.155: [Python] Failed to load python plugin
20:04:34.470: [VideoToolbox encoder]: Adding VideoToolbox H264 encoders
20:04:34.522: [obs-browser]: Version 2.1.6
20:04:34.766: VLC found, VLC video source enabled
20:04:34.791: Failed to load 'en-US' text for module: 'StreamDeckPlugin.so'
20:04:34.792: Ignoring old obs-browser.so version
20:04:34.792: ---------------------------------

I'm not sure which one (or ones) are the culprit(s) (or more importantly what to do about it), but with my limited knowledge that was the only weird stuff I could find in the log file myself.

As mentioned in my previous thread, I'm running a late 2015 iMac with maxed out specs, if that matters. Currently running macOS Sierra version 10.12.5. Let me know if there's any other relevant info I can provide.

Attachments

• 2019-02-03 20-04-33.txt
    17.2 KB · Views: 25

Narcogen

I don't think any of those are relevant.

Python fails because it's broken on MacOS currently. It's been that way a long time, and is the same for everyone.

I don't have the StreamDeck plugin since I don't have a streamdeck, but failing to load that file is just failing to load a text localization file, so I don't think that means anything.

The "ignoring old obs-browser.so version" means there are multiple copies of the browser plugin on your computer, but that at least one isn't being loaded because OBS knows it is old.

Btw if it helps, here's a log of an OBS session I opened just now (no stream) attached. I couldn't find anything super obviously mega different amongst them except for this line which only appeared in the session where nothing went wrong.

16:33:34.691: [rtmp-services plugin] Successfully updated file 'services.json' (version 98)
16:33:34.691: [rtmp-services plugin] Successfully updated package (version 98)

Assuming that really has nothing to do with anyhting but I ran a diff on the two logs and that was the only thing that stood out to me aside from the stuff that is involved in the stream actually going live. (The crash stream went down after just 1 minute of being live.)

Attachments

• 2019-02-04 16-33-32.txt
    22.6 KB · Views: 17
I don't even know how to verify whether any of those issues match my situation though. (Crash log attached just in case anyone sees and can help out.)

Would it be appropriate to post a new issue on that bug report page when I don't have any diagnosis for what's happening? (I'm not even able to replicate the crash - it just sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't.)

Attachments

• Feb 3 Crash Report.txt
    125 KB · Views: 14

Narcogen

The crash appears to be associated with a browser source, so you might try eliminating them all to see if that stops the crashes, and then adding them back one by one to narrow it down.

You may also want to at least look through /Library/Application Support/obs-studio and ~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio and see if you have multiple copies of the browser.so file.

You're also on MacOS Sierra which is a bit old at this point; I don't know if it is old enough that you want to consider downgrading OBS, though. You might want to consider upgrading at least to High Sierra unless there is a particular reason not to (although I do suggest not necessarily going to Mojave unless you must, as that breaks certain parts of OBS on MacOS that you might want to use at some point.

I started out with several browser sources but removed all the Streamlabs ones re: your recommendations from the previous thread. The ONLY browser source I have active now is just a native twitch chat.

It's just frustrating to have it said that the browser source was redone and is just "working" now and then have it be the bane of my existence lol. I get that it's free software so I can't be too salty about it but it's an annoying feature to just have to remove entirely. I'll give it a shot with no browser sources and see how I go.

My question still stands though - should I be posting this in that bug report system mantis? Given that I'm having gigantic browser source issues despite all the supposed fixes?

Thanks for all your help Narcogen - it is very much appreciated.

Narcogen

I'm not suggesting deleting the browser sources as a workaround, I'm suggesting it as a troubleshooting method.

If you delete all browser sources and the crash doesn't happen, that's a strong indication that it is indeed the browser source causing the crash.

If you could narrow it down to knowing which browser source causes the crash, that would be enough information to search Mantis and make sure this bug isn't already filed, and then to write a post with reproducible steps that shows that OBS can be made to crash on a certain OS by adding a specific browser source.

As somewhat expected, I ran a successful stream when I removed ALL browser sources.

Added my native Twitch chat browser source back in at a later date and ran a stream on a dummy channel. It shut down on a crash after about 2 hours.

Narcogen

Okay... is there ANY browser source you can add without causing a crash? Like, what if you leave it at the default-- the OBS home page?

Ran that test today. Streamed a bit longer than normal (I believe a bit over 5 hours on stream) but it did ultimately crash. New crash report and log file attached to this message.

Interestingly, I was able to reopen OBS without encountering the typical "could not load en/US.ini" and "could not load locale" errors. It just opened back up.

Attachments

• Feb 12 Crash (Browser Source = OBS Web Page).txt
    125.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 2019-02-12 12-19-44 (Browser Source = OBS Web Page).txt
    19.3 KB · Views: 17
Despite reopening without error, it DID follow the typical pattern of then immediately crashing (within minutes) of being reopened. And after THAT crash I got the typical errors afterward. THAT crash report and log file are attached to THIS post.

Attachments

• Feb 12 Crash After Reopen (Same Browser Source).txt
    114.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2019-02-12 17-39-20 (Second Crash After Reopen with Same Browser Source).txt
    15.1 KB · Views: 15

Narcogen

Okay, so it's not a specific web source, apparently.

Does it crash if you remove all browser sources? And if it does crash, is it the same crash?

The only other nonstandard part of your setup is the streamdeck plugin, and I don't have that so I can't test it.

Okay, so it's not a specific web source, apparently.

Does it crash if you remove all browser sources? And if it does crash, is it the same crash?

The only other nonstandard part of your setup is the streamdeck plugin, and I don't have that so I can't test it.

Nope. It seems 100% isolated to browser sources. It has never crashed on streams when I have ALL browser sources removed. I no longer think it's related to stream deck simply because of that fact. Initially I'd thought that because I'd run several streams without crashes where I used the Twitch chat browser source (with no streamlabs browser sources) but I think I just got "lucky."

The most recent test with the OBS browser source took over 5 hours to crash, but I've also had crashes that occurred within minutes of going live, so it's very hard to pinpoint anything beyond the browser source being involved. I haven't been able to correlate any specific actions or anything like that to the crashes.

Narcogen

Okay... so what we've got left is a system that will crash on ANY browser source if any are included, but at greatly differing intervals.

The only other relevant elements I see are the error about the old browser source (but I have that also, but not the crashes) and that you're running Sierra (I run High Sierra) and the StreamDeck plugin.

I guess my last question would be does a browser extension cause a crash even when the StreamDeck plugin isn't loaded, and whether this same error occurs on High Sierra or later (I can't seem to get this to repro on systems I have, but I'm missing some of the elements, like the StreamDeck plugin).

Narcogen

Remove it.

Right click the app, choose "show contents" from the pulldown.

Navigate to Contents/Resources/obs-plugins

It should be:

StreamDeckPlugin.so

If you want to put it back later you should be able either to do so manually or just run their installer again.

Fair warning: I do NOT have a StreamDeck so I have not tried this, and I do not generally install Mac OBS plugins manually since most have installers.

andrepatta

@Narcogen, the Chromium Embedded Framework that OBS is using needs to be updated. You're using a version from early 2018 which is not compatible with 10.14 OS X .