Resource icon

All Versions NVIDIA NvEnc Guide

Luminair

@findal FFmpeg supports hevc_nvenc but it doesn't show up in Custom Output and I don't know how to make a truly custom custom-output with my own FFmpeg. Can you ask OBS to add hevc_nvenc support? Thanks.

Attachments

• hevc_nvidia_obs.jpg
    hevc_nvidia_obs.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 210

Toranks

Im using NVIDIA Nvenc, but every time I alt+tab from OBS to the game, the recorded image freezes, but when I'm looking at the preview inside OBS studio, it records fine. Something is preventing the image from being processed when I play full screen. The game is Left4 Dead 2 in case it helps. I think it's related to the CPU priority, but I have it set OBS to high, and also starting OBS as administrator, but it doesn't seem to help the problem. Windows 7, 8gb ram, Geforce GT 710, Intel Celeron 2.8 ghz, 2 CPU
Can anybody help me?

Lucasmpaiva

Im using NVIDIA Nvenc, but every time I alt+tab from OBS to the game, the recorded image freezes, but when I'm looking at the preview inside OBS studio, it records fine. Something is preventing the image from being processed when I play full screen. The game is Left4 Dead 2 in case it helps. I think it's related to the CPU priority, but I have it set OBS to high, and also starting OBS as administrator, but it doesn't seem to help the problem. Windows 7, 8gb ram, Geforce GT 710, Intel Celeron 2.8 ghz, 2 CPU
Can anybody help me?
I'm having a similar problem, but playing games that has 4:3 resolution (i'm using the GPU scaling on nvidia control panel). My stream bitrate goes to zero and my preview screen also freezes. Here's the post that I created with more info to help investigate: https://obsproject.com/forum/thread...n-playing-games-that-uses-gpu-scaling.155904/

findal

findal updated NVIDIA NvEnc Guide with a new update entry:

Streaming or Recording with HEVC and HDR

With OBS version 28, you can stream with HEVC to platforms that support it. HEVC is an improved codec that provides 15% better encoding efficiency than H.264 (i.e. it provides quality as if you streamed with 15% more bitrate). HEVC - and OBS version 28 - also allow you to record and stream HDR content.

How to Record and/or Stream with HEVC
If you want to record or stream with HEVC, in OBS navigate to your Output window and change the Encoder to Hardware (NVENC, HEVC) for the...

Read the rest of this update entry...

spartanz1080

This updated guide is perfect but i just wanted to mention one thing I experienced. The guide says to turn GPU hardware acceleration on but I was having some issues with the new OBS and as soon as I turned GPU hardware acceleration off all my issues went away so I thought I’d mention that. And on the OBS troubleshooting site it says to turn it off so I’m confused. I’m keeping it off though.

iamdak

Hello, thanks for the guide! I'm not sure if this is due to a recent build but auto hdr doesn't appear to be working anymore (on latest obs and latest win11). The captured image has the dull SDR color. It seems to work fine if I try a game with native hdr.

iamdak

Hello, thanks for the guide! I'm not sure if this is due to a recent build but auto hdr doesn't appear to be working anymore (on latest obs and latest win11). The captured image has the dull SDR color. It seems to work fine if I try a game with native hdr.

I wanted to update this for anyone else trying to figure this out. Auto-HDR isn't working for me when I use a "Game Capture" source. To be clear, Native-HDR games *DO* work with "Game Capture". I was however able to capture my Auto-HDR games by using either a "Window Capture" or "Display Capture" sources.

jasonsmith1

NVIDIA NVENC is a hardware-based video encoding technology that enhances streaming and recording performance. In OBS, select NVENC as the encoder, adjust bitrate, keyframe interval, and profile. ptcl speed test Test settings and prioritize quality or performance based on presets. Refer to current resources for the latest information.