HLS streaming on Youtube not working; network frames being lost

Frunobulax

So, I have this weird situation.

RTMPS streams for Youtube work flawlessly (250mbps upload, stream set to 9500kbps), but when I change the configuration to HLS, it just doesn't work. OBS informs network frames being lost at 90%+ - rendering/encoding is unaffected. I have even tried opening the firewall in my router, setting the PC's connection as the DMZ and whatnot. Pinging and tracing a.upload.youtube.com works just fine as well.

I have tried lowering the bitrate as shown in the log below, updating from 30.0 to the current beta, but no dice. I have tried using different encoder configurations.

In the log file provided, 00:39:14.973 logs an attempt with NVENC, and 00:44:11.795 uses FFmpeg (CPU) for example.

In Wireshark I can see a RST every couple of seconds, but I'm not sure if it's a red herring, really - not acquainted with HLS to discern.

1708401968323.png

As far as I know my ISP didn't block anything in particular in my connection. More likely candidates for blocking such as SSH work just fine, and I run another machine as a server here sometimes, and I can access it.

Does anyone have an idea on what it could be?

Attachments

• 2024-02-20 00-23-41.txt
    117.4 KB · Views: 9

sandrix

HLS works quite complexly. You send short video segments, approximately 2 seconds long. Therefore, you need a very good and stable Internet. It also all depends on the CDN server and how far it is from you. You're probably a little unlucky.

Frunobulax

I see. The connection here is fiber, and I've yet to find (any other) issue with it.

Ping shows good numbers:

1708432844222.png

And this is the traceroute:

1708432954732.png

This is pretty puzzling...

But yeah, I can keep using RTMP for now since it's working nice.

sandrix

In my country, the HLS protocol works fine only in the central region. Users who live behind it report network drops. Fortunately, YouTube has an enhanced RTMP protocol, so there is no point in using HLS anymore. You have good data. Probably something to do with the Youtube server infrastructure. I find it difficult to answer.

Frunobulax

I more or less "figured out" and """fixed""" what was happening.

The other day I noticed a completely different application failing to fetch some JSON data. I dug into it with Wireshark, because if I take the exact address it was trying to fetch... It opened just fine on Firefox.

Apparently, the TLS handshake was failing to negotiate, or something related to that. Then I tried using the application on a Linux installation, and it worked just fine too - so it wasn't a network thing. I'm betting that it's the same issue I had with HLS.

I tried a bunch of things, everything I could find somewhat related to TLS, but nothing worked. I hadn't ever changed anything in Windows' TLS stuff in the first place.

Then I formatted my installation, and voilà. HLS working just fine.

koala

May be you used a virus scanner with faulty ssl inspection that is gone after your Windows reinstall. I don't know the current state of https inspection today, but the last time I investigated it was not really stable - it was optimized for web browsing (requesting many connections with not much data each) instead of streaming (one connection and a long continuous data stream, resulting in much higher bandwidth than with the web browsing scenario).