My Speed Test shows 9Mbps upload, but my bitrate on OBS only goes up to 1000

Rexus507

Hello, I´ve been recently having issues with my OBS because my stream gets all pixelated or blurry. I know this is cause of the bitrate, but when I do the SpeedTest, it shows me that I have up to 9Mbps on upload, but when I stream on OBS in Twitch, my bitrate doesn´t goes higher than a 1000kbps, sometimes it evens satys at 500kbps. Is there any reason to this, and could there be any solutions? Thanks.

Lawrence_SoCal

my bitrate doesn´t goes higher than a 1000kbps, sometimes it evens satys at 500kbps. Is there any reason to this, and could there be any solutions?
Yes, either your PC is overwhelmed and can't create that bitrate, OR you don't have the upload bandwidth you think you do (speedtest give you an optimistic, brief point in time measurement. there are lots of reasons that may be (grossly) optimistic/misleading)

the short answer is make sure your PC is configured properly (OS and OBS) for its capabilities, make sure nothing else on your LAN is consuming the bandwidth, and then do some alternate tests on your WAN (Internet) regarding sustained upload throughput.. sorry don't have time for the long explanation on how to do all of those things.. there are LOTS of recent posts in these forums on bitrate issues, even a guide on this site you should start with. and then there is the pinned post in this forum on posting an OBS log so we can see your basic hardware equipment and OBS settings

FerretBomb

Speed testing sites like speedtest.net are useless for livestreaming. They test peak throughput, not minimum constant throughput (which streaming relies on). In fact, most speed-testing sites simply throw out the worst results, to give consumers results closer to what their ISP says they should receive.

Think of it like... measuring your height.
Speed test sites let you jump six times, and the tips of your fingers reaching as high as you can on your highest jump is what they say your height is. And some ISPs prioritize speed-tester sites, so imagine that as them giving you a trampoline to jump on.
Streaming, you stand there, heels on the ground, knees straight, measure to the top of your head.