MUFFLED AUDIO PLEASE HELP!

IM1ISRAEL14

I really really need some helpful information so that I can solve this audio issue. I'm using a spank brand new MV7 Shure Podcast USB mic and im plugging the USB directly into my USB port on my HP OMEN gaming laptop. While I'm LIVESTREAMING everything seems good but the audio goes flat (sounds muffled or muddy) during certain spots while im talking and then it will clear up for a minute or so and then sound muddy again. It does it like every minute that Im talking and im very frustrated because I dont know what the problem is. I've disabled the digital microphone on my computer and I just cant seem to understand why my audio is doing this. It's not the microphone because when I record on StreamYard it sounds awesome but OBS for whatever reason does not like my MICROPHONE. Ive looked on Youtube at some videos to see if I can solve the issue and ive also seen others using this same USB MV7 USB MIC and they arent having any issues with it but for some reason I am. Is there a setting I need to change inside OBS?

AaronD

Post a recording? And screenshots of your settings? A log file would be helpful too, especially if you run it through the Analyzer. Link to that below.

IM1ISRAEL14

Post what settings? Im not sure I understand. Which tab? Im vert new to this so you'll have to speak in simple terms. I dont understand where to get a log file?

AaronD

Post what settings?
Yes. :-)

If you know nothing, post everything. But since it's an audio problem, we only need the audio settings.

It's also important to have a recording, because different problems sound different.

where to get a log file?
1694799228776.png

That'll give you a URL to paste here, and run through the Analyzer too.

IM1ISRAEL14

OK I did analzye it and change some settings. I dont know if it will work but I did exactly what It told me and im going to try again

PaiSand

Well, it shows as on.
Restart Windows (not just turn it off and on) and try it again.
Also, in the log file there's no actual session on it, which is crucial.
Windows Game mode should be on as it do help.
Run OBS as admin.
spectralize is a deprecated old not updated plugin. Remove it. In the plugin page it's explained and you'll find a link to the new plugin replacing this one.

IM1ISRAEL14

Yes. :-)

If you know nothing, post everything. But since it's an audio problem, we only need the audio settings.

It's also important to have a recording, because different problems sound different.

View attachment 97719
That'll give you a URL to paste here, and run through the Analyzer too.

Well, it shows as on.
Run OBS as admin.
spectralize is a deprecated old not updated plugin. Remove it. In the plugin page it's explained and you'll find a link to the new plugin replacing

Well, it shows as on.
Run OBS as admin.
spectralize is a deprecated old not updated plugin. Remove it. In the plugin page it's explained and you'll find a link to the new plugin replacing this one.
Here is a new log file and I did record something. You can see at 7 seconds in this video the audio got muffled and I kept my head straight the entire time while I was speaking into the mic. I didnt move or anything and it still was muffled. https://obsproject.com/logs/8BBKcV1OoEVNKl6U

PaiSand

spectralize is still shown as installed. Check on %appdata%\OBS-Studio\ folder for any leftover file from the plguin and remove it.
You have all the sound filters in the wrong order. Always goes first noise reduction, then compressor and finally EQ. You may add a gain after this but in normal situations isn't needed like the limiter (you already use a compressor).
I'm guessing the issue is in this filter order you have.

Other than this, is working just fine.

AaronD

You have all the sound filters in the wrong order. Always goes first noise reduction, then compressor and finally EQ. You may add a gain after this but in normal situations isn't needed like the limiter (you already use a compressor).
I thought it was okay:
13:24:00.362: - source: 'Shure Mic' (wasapi_input_capture)
13:24:00.362: - filter: 'Gain' (gain_filter)
13:24:00.362: - filter: 'Noise Suppression' (noise_suppress_filter_v2)
13:24:00.362: - filter: '3-Band Equalizer' (basic_eq_filter)
13:24:00.362: - filter: 'Compressor' (compressor_filter)
13:24:00.362: - filter: 'Limiter' (limiter_filter)
Or does it report in reverse order? I've seen some things do that.

Anyway, Noise Suppression should be before any dynamic processing (Compressors, Limiters, Gates, anything that changes volume in response to the signal that it's processing), because the noise also follows their change in volume. Noise Suppression needs constant noise, so it goes before anything that changes volume over time.

The Limiter should be last, as a "safety net" to make sure you don't clip.

--

Otherwise, there's no technical reason for the order, but there might be an artistic one.

Some things make no difference at all, like the order of EQ and Gain, because those are both "linear" processes in the sense of being described entirely by linear calculus. Or in more layman's terms, it makes no difference in what order you apply multiple Gains, and EQ is only a frequency-dependent Gain. The frequency-dependence doesn't break that.

Noise Suppression doesn't really care if it's preceded by some linear functions, but it's easy to remember to have it first.

Non-linear things do make a difference in order. If you have an EQ boost, for example, before a Compressor, then the Compressor will react more strongly to the boosted frequency range than if you swapped their order and kept the same settings. Or if you have an EQ cut to get rid of something, the Compressor will react more strongly to that thing if it comes before the EQ than if it comes after. For that reason, most digital consoles allow you to swap the order of the channel EQ and channel Compressor.

Since you're building your own processing chain here, nothing says you can't have multiple of the same thing. EQ -> Comp -> EQ, for example, where the first EQ cuts out annoying things and the second EQ boosts nice things. Normally, you could combine the two EQ's and have fewer processors (always a good thing!), but the non-linear thing in between prevents that.

Also, the Compressor has a Gain control built into it. So you might absorb the Gain up front into that. It won't be *exactly* the same setting because it's an *output* gain as it leaves the Compressor, but it's not all that hard to figure out:
- Start with the Compressor's Threshold lower by the amount that the removed Gain was.
- Then boost the Compressor's Output Gain by that much.
- Then divide that amount by the Compressor's Ratio, and bring the Output Gain back down by that.
Not having a "pre-boost" like that, also makes it harder to clip early in the chain, which *might* actually be the problem here. I don't see a recording link, only logs, but I *have* had people describe clipping as "muffled".

Last edited:

IM1ISRAEL14

spectralize is still shown as installed. Check on %appdata%\OBS-Studio\ folder for any leftover file from the plguin and remove it.

Other than this, is working just fine.
But even before I added that it was already doing it. But I'll try to change something I'm just truly frustrated as to why mine is not working. I can use StreamYard and it works fine but OBS is giving me issues.

IM1ISRAEL14

I thought it was okay:

Or does it report in reverse order? I've seen some things do that.

Anyway, Noise Suppression should be before any dynamic processing (Compressors, Limiters, Gates, anything that changes volume in response to the signal that it's processing), because the noise also follows their change in volume. Noise Suppression needs constant noise, so it goes before anything that changes volume over time.

The Limiter should be last, as a "safety net" to make sure you don't clip.

--

Otherwise, there's no technical reason for the order, but there might be an artistic one.

Some things make no difference at all, like the order of EQ and Gain, because those are both "linear" processes in the sense of being described entirely by linear calculus. Or in more layman's terms, it makes no difference in what order you apply multiple Gains, and EQ is only a frequency-dependent Gain. The frequency-dependence doesn't break that.

Noise Suppression doesn't really care if it's preceded by some linear functions, but it's easy to remember to have it first.

Non-linear things do make a difference in order. If you have an EQ boost, for example, before a Compressor, then the Compressor will react more strongly to the boosted frequency range than if you swapped their order and kept the same settings. Or if you have an EQ cut to get rid of something, the Compressor will react more strongly to that thing if it comes before the EQ than if it comes after. For that reason, most digital consoles allow you to swap the order of the channel EQ and channel Compressor.

Since you're building your own processing chain here, nothing says you can't have multiple of the same thing. EQ -> Comp -> EQ, for example, where the first EQ cuts out annoying things and the second EQ boosts nice things. Normally, you could combine the two EQ's and have fewer processors (always a good thing!), but the non-linear thing in between prevents that.

Also, the Compressor has a Gain control built into it. So you might absorb the Gain up front into that. It won't be *exactly* the same setting because it's an *output* gain as it leaves the Compressor, but it's not all that hard to figure out:
- Start with the Compressor's Threshold lower by the amount that the removed Gain was.
- Then boost the Compressor's Output Gain by that much.
- Then divide that amount by the Compressor's Ratio, and bring the Output Gain back down by that.
Not having a "pre-boost" like that, also makes it harder to clip early in the chain, which *might* actually be the problem here.
I'll do all of this that you mentioned but even before I added anything, it was already sounding muffled. I only added the filters to try to fix the problem but it still didn't work.

AaronD

I only added the filters to try to fix the problem but it still didn't work.
That almost never works. Processing can make something good better, but it can't fix a mess. You need to find and fix the original problem.

I googled that mic and got the official product page:
It has a Gain control on the mic itself. If you're clipping there, then nothing else will fix it.

IM1ISRAEL14

That almost never works. Processing can make something good better, but it can't fix a mess. You need to find and fix the original problem.

I googled that mic and got the official product page:
It has a Gain control on the mic itself. If you're clipping there, then nothing else will fix it.
Yes I just got a brand new one in yesterday literally. The mic is not clipping. whats happening is while Im either recording or livestreaming the audio starts to sound muffled like im talking other the sheets and then it starts getting clear for about a minute or two and then starts going back to stuffy and then clear again. Thats whats happening. It sounds amazing onn StreamYard no muffle at all very clear and crisp so I think its a setting either on my Laptop or inside OBS

AaronD

Yes I just got a brand new one in yesterday literally. The mic is not clipping. whats happening is while Im either recording or livestreaming the audio starts to sound muffled like im talking other the sheets and then it starts getting clear for about a minute or two and then starts going back to stuffy and then clear again. Thats whats happening.
Post a recording?

IM1ISRAEL14

Post a recording?
Theres a link. If you notice at 7-8 seconds the audio gets muffled. People in my LIVESTREAM notice it as well which is why ive been deleting my LIVESTREAMS until I can figure this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocVpEbpfe8Y i recorded with my head straight about 6 inches away from the mic and I also tried to use manual and auto mode on the mic and it still doesnt do it. It something inside OBS because I can stream on StreamYard with no issues.

Last edited:

AaronD

Theres a link. If you notice 7-8 seconds the audio gets muffled. People in my LIVESTREAM notice it as well which is why ive been deleting my LIVESTREAMS until I can figure this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocVpEbpfe8Y i recorded with my head straight about 6 inches away from the mic and I also tried to use manual and auto mode on the mic and it still doesnt do it. It something inside OBS because I can do it on StreamYard with no issues.
So it's just the "I" at 0:07? You're right, that doesn't sound like clipping. Is it always that short?

IM1ISRAEL14

So it's just the "I" at 0:07? You're right, that doesn't sound like clipping. Is it always that short?
Yes the "I" exactly. But its not always this short. I have entire LIVESTREAMS where its doing it through the entire LIVESTREAM. No matter how still I sit or keep my face away from the mic or what certain words get muffled every single time.