Bug Report mp4 files produced by OBS cause VLC to crash

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
At this point, I think I'm just going to use FFmpeg to create mp4 files in the rewrite, on a separate process stub to prevent the possibility of file corruption as well.

fuerchter

I recently tried it on another file and it worked as well.

On another note, I'm not sure whether it's appropriate or not to ask this here but here I go anyways:
The mp4 files obs generates still have very strange/obvious audio/video desync issues (almost 1 second delay on the audio). I tried playing it back in windows media player, vlc, sony vegas and uploaded a clip onto youtube and the problem was present everywhere. I thought it might fit in here since the topic is faulty mp4 files but I can open another thread if it doesn't make much sense, too.

Merfi

Some solution for these problem?
I have some files from obs, size < 3gb and i cant play it before (original) and after ffmpeg command (new file).

LinkSatonaka

Just a suggestion: VLC is not the best of video players. Perhaps those of you experiencing this problem might fix it by moving on to different, better, video playback software. MPC-HC is one example.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
So even files remuxed with FFmpeg are failing? I'm beginning to suspect something might be going on with VLC, though I'm not entirely sure. However, if FFmpeg-muxed files don't work then it's definitely indicative of something wrong with the player, though I just couldn't say for sure yet.

There really should be nothing wrong with the files that would cause it to happen, outside of the files just being very large and requiring large integers. Again, if you are not using VLC 64bit you will run in to problems.

Merfi

I tried to open file with vlcx64 and in sony vegas x64 version, i have system w7x64..
So, i think that problem is not in player (vlc), but in file or my system.

I downloaded newest drivers from my system, and newes k-lite mega pack for new codecs.

My actions does nothing with my problem.

ffmpeg after his work give me some file and it works like an audio-file - without picture.

I still cant open my videos my any of editors...

Any ideas?

i've had this issue for some time now and had to start opening up my files with windows media player to view them. 64 bit still doesn't solve my issue.

mca640

mp4 is a pain. I recommend use mkv with FFmpeg. MP4 conversion can be added as a tool in OBS. Also using matroska container allows to add more format for audio like lossless code FLAC or ALAC. Of course all is for local recordings.

Aeryn

I could not play some long files with anything, the one i had a problem with today was ~600MB, but a bit over an hour and a half long from doing a stream (540p30, x264 med preset, 750kbit cbr on video, + audio) for a friend. 64 bit of VLC plays it fine, thanks (: