Bug Report mp4 files produced by OBS cause VLC to crash

TOM_RUS

So basically when you open mp4 file created by OBS with VLC player, it's crashing. Everything worked fine in old builds (0.4x, can't really remember when first time that problem appeared).

silenttikeus

Before version 0.5 did not have problems, too. Vegas worked fine without any problems with video mp4, then there crashes KMPlayer and etc, and now in Vegas playing only sound, but no video.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I am aware of this, I'm not sure if it's VLC with the internal large file format adjustments or if there's a bug with the MP4 large file output code. (files above 1 or 2 gigabytes use a slightly different format). VLC is the only place where I've heard of this happening at the moment.

It could be a VLC bug because I -have- created super large files without crashing VLC. Although actually I think what happened is that VLC opened it but it took forever for it to load for some reason and it seemed like it was frozen or something.

I know I've been slow, I will try to look and see what's up with it.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
It's still not fixed? How big does the file have to be for this to happen? Can someone tell me how to replicate this issue exactly?

Andrew Evenstar

Jim said:
It's still not fixed? How big does the file have to be for this to happen? Can someone tell me how to replicate this issue exactly?

I have a file here that's only 1.15 gb and it crashes VLC. resolution 852x480. 60 fps.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
As a quick test I made an MP4 using 200000 bitrate so I could create a gigantic file really quickly, but didn't get any problem with VLC there -- I'm sadly guessing I'm going to have to actually leave it on for hours just to see if I can find a problem with a file that way.. ugh.

What I would like is a series of exact steps to duplicate this, but it seems like that's going to be more difficult to do

Andrew Evenstar

the only thing i could do is post a log file, but if you needed that you would have already asked, and since its a previous and somewhat global issue... yeah its gonna be tough to duplicate.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'll just have to leave it on for hours until I get the same issue to create a legitimate large file or something. Maybe I'll actually play a video game for once. I haven't played dark souls in forever. I think I left off at sens fortress. Died to some chest that ate me alive if I recall. Also got killed by an unexpected boulder which caused me to fly out of my seat. Good times.

Xioden

Just ran into this as well, if you'd like I can upload the video to dropbox or something so you can take a look at it.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Yep, I got them, thank you again, I will be taking a look at them a little later today to see what's up