Bug Report mp4 files produced by OBS cause VLC to crash

db0

I've been having the same issue. Eventually I moved to VLC 64 bit and it seemed to solve this issue, but I just recorded a very large video (1.3 Gb, ~3 hours) and VLC 64 is also crashing. Another vid I took (~2.5 hours, same record type and settings) which is 1.1Gb opens fine.

I'm currently seeding the file via torrent if someone wants to download it and take a look

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I think our schedules are mismatching. I'll just leave it on.

onan

New to the streaming thing, but VLC crashes for me too on a 3-hour, 4.81gb 1080p MP4 video recorded and played back on a windows 7 64-bit computer. Thought it might be the 32-bit VLC I was using, but after switching to the 64-bit flavor, it still didn't work. Crashes every single time you try to open it.

Oddly, video plays just fine on the built-in Windows Media Center.

It's not a size thing, with the same settings I was able to record videos 2-3 times as long (for Extra Life) in XSplit and they played just fine on VLC. Not really sure what's making it crash immediately.

Haven't tried it with other things yet, so not sure if it's a problem with the file (generated by OBS) or VLC, or interaction with my OS, but given it works with an out-of-the-box codec in Win7, the self-contained VLC codecs are probably the problem.

Since the issue seems to be duration (since Jim mentioned forcibly-generated via extra-high bitrate large files were fine), I'll just take more breaks and make smaller videos. The small videos I've made have been fine.

onan

...So here's a thought. I've been using an Avermedia LGP device to stream, and initially switched to XSplit because I couldn't get it working with OBS even though Avermedia put out a "stream engine" virtual device installer that let the software see the device (It doesn't support it natively). I was never able to see the Stream Engine, but earlier remembered that OBS offered me two launch options, 64-bit and 32-bit. I got it to see the Stream Engine on 32-bit, so I was streaming with that.

The file I generated was 4.81gb though, which trips the 4gb barrier that's a fundamental issue with 32-bit applications. So it didn't crash and made a functional file, sure, but I have to wonder if something to introduced due to whatever workaround made that possible that VLC is choking on..?

Jim, during your tests, were you using 64-bit or 32-bit? I'm on a 64-bit OS so I just use 64-bit applications when they're available without thinking, I'm wondering if the same happened when you tried.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Porbably 64bit. I still don't know what the problem is exactly.

mapi

Hi

I'm encountered a similar problem.
When read mp4 files Aviutl + L-SMASH(mp4 library) cause crash aviutl.
And I reported this problem to the author of the library.
Author said that mp4 files have invalid mp4 structure.

Wrote detail below, but I'm not sure about mp4 file structure.
Last stts entry is missing.
It must be written duration of the last sample.
0-duration is prohibited basically, But only the last sample is allowed exceptionally by mp4 standard.

I hope this information will help you.
If you want sample mp4 file I sent library author. I'll PM you.

I hate digging up an old issue thread but I suddenly have this issue with both x32 and x64 VLC. The files all work in Windows Media Player but I mostly use VLC. Any fixes or thoughts on this?

What resolution are you recording at?
1280x720 @30FPS

video size - 3.32GB

Actually i tried a 404mb clip with was 17 mins long and still crashed.

I went to the VLC and saw a new patch was being sent out today and just got it. Will test in a few mins

Patch has fixed it and working flawlessly. Sorry for the cry wolf Jim

Last edited:

Retnaburn

I just recently started saving my streams and am also having this problem. The size of the files that will not play for me vary from 1.7GB to 7.81GB, but I have several saved streams in that range that will play. The streams that do not play do open in Vegas and play after any rendering. 64 bit VLC didn't fix this for me. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
retnaburn - If you have ffmpeg (command line utility), try this:

ffmpeg -i [obs mp4 file] -acodec copy -vcodec copy [output mp4 file]

and see if the resulting MP4 from ffmpeg works.

Yamato

Just started saving my streams as well and have this issue, it loads in windows media player but only plays sound, no video.

2.40gb 1hour 30min stream at 1920x1080 with 3500kbps video and 128kbps audio @ 30fps. :/

Yamato

I will restrain myself from making a joke.

I posted in the thread titled: mp4 files produced by OBS cause VLC to crash.

I got here because of a google search, so if it isn't clear then I use VLC 2.1.3 and I have the EXACT same issue. I really don't know how my post alluded you to think I was saying i only use windows media player lmao. Figured posting in an already filed bug thread would give you the hint im having the SAME exact bug, no? Well, i thought so.

ThoNohT

Developer
That's right. We apologize. We're all psychics and we should all know which of all the people that come here are the ones who simply read half the post and then reply with a problem that is vaguely similar to them, but really actually has nothing at all to do with it. And which are the ones that actually read stuff, then decide to follow up on that, with a post that tells us nothing about their exact situation because they feel that just adding to it what they last tried should obviously be enough for everyone.

Terribly sorry for your inconvenience.

I'm afraid to ask now, but did you try Jim's suggestion?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Yamato - if you were mentioning that about windows media player in addition to the VLC issue, such as "it doesn't work in VLC, but in windows media player, it loads up, but only with audio", then it's clear that he simply misunderstood your post. There's no need to be upset about that fact, he's just a human being.

VLC does seem to be having issues with large MP4s, and currently, the only way to fix it is to either use the 64bit version of VLC, or if that doesn't work (which has been known to happen), try out MPC-HC as well. If you want to load it in windows media player, you just require the codecs to do so. h264 decoding does not come with windows by default, so windows cannot play the video without those codecs.

fuerchter

retnaburn - If you have ffmpeg (command line utility), try this:

ffmpeg -i [obs mp4 file] -acodec copy -vcodec copy [output mp4 file]

and see if the resulting MP4 from ffmpeg works.

I just tried that command on my 2.3gb crashing mp4 and it produced a working mp4. Currently do not have any other files to test it on though, so I will report back once that is the case. Maybe that will work for others as well?