macOS 10.15 Catalina Support Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slice.of.Pai

I'm still having an issue with NDI on Catalina, is there some genius out there that could please help fix this, it's quite urgent. I'll be so grateful, and so will the world... because it's an essential ingredient I'm going to use to help save the world. I know I sound crazy, but just wait and see and let me prove it to you :).

jedibugs

Nothing is working for me at all. I have the Hot Fix installed, I have given OBS security/privacy permissions for Microphone, Input Monitoring, Full Disk Access, and Screen Recording. I have even tried running the binary through Terminal (and giving all those same permissions to Terminal) but OBS crashed ALL THE TIME.

I just now opened OBS to do some testing, but it crashed after a few minutes even though I did not interact with the app at all. I just opened it, went to look some stuff up, and after a few minutes, got a crash error.

Crash Log is attached, if anyone can offer any help.

Attachments

• OBS Crash 10-30.txt
    100.6 KB · Views: 35

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
To fix the NDI plugin, run the following three commands from the Terminal:
Bash:
sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtWidgets @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/5/QtWidgets /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so

sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtGui @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/5/QtGui /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so

sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtCore @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so

DarrenJay

Oh Lord, please give me strength to carry on another day without OBS. I have so so so many videos to upload. Im not technically savy on a mac, so all the above suggestions, does it actually work? God knows i dont want to make things worst, i just want an update which i can run and get it working again like it was before the demon Catalina upgrade happened. HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY GOT IT WORKING ON Catalina yet, including all the normal things we use to be able to do with OBS?

JJJOHNSON

So, installed obs-24.0.3-installer-catalina-fix-02 and it works after a number of popups happen. I know about the Permissions ones, and fixed up those in Security and Privacy, but thought these two of interest. When I ran the new version, I got these. The first time it ran. I clicked "Remind me later" for the odd update one. Seems to be the wrong version?

Seems to work ok otherwise.

View attachment 48746View attachment 48747

I am having this exact same issue. Have you found a work around with it?

ToddT

Can you post a screen shot of what you see under your privacy tab in the privacy and security for screen recording?

you can also try creating a new user and installing obs on that user as a fresh install, making sure it’s installed in the main applications folder (not the username/applications). Then you can delete the user once it’s working
Sorry I saw this late. I’ll give this a look tomorrow.
Can I suggest that you completely uninstall obs, including from its application support library folders, reboot, and try installing it again?
Unless of course you’ve already done it.
I uninstalled it previously but I don’t think I cleaned out those support folders. I’ll give that a try tomorrow as well.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions.

JJJOHNSON

Hello,
I have run the 3 commands and have got OBS running though its not very stable, crashing after I try and connect a camera.
However my question is for use with these commands. After I have done this is NDI suppose to pull up in the dialog box now? Or do I have to run a different/new command?
I have never done any of this before so I do apologize this is all new stuff to me. I appreciate any and all help.

hoffsiderunner

Hello,
I have run the 3 commands and have got OBS running though its not very stable, crashing after I try and connect a camera.
However my question is for use with these commands. After I have done this is NDI suppose to pull up in the dialog box now? Or do I have to run a different/new command?
I have never done any of this before so I do apologize this is all new stuff to me. I appreciate any and all help.

same problem bud. feel really lost.

ToddT

Can I suggest that you completely uninstall obs, including from its application support library folders, reboot, and try installing it again?
Unless of course you’ve already done it.
Got around to trying this just now and it didn't work. It still didn't ask me for screen recording permissions (nor does the app show up in my security and privacy system preferences to set myself) and it still only shows OS UI elements as selectable for window recording.

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 9.12.07 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 9.10.03 AM.png

djsobs

The terminal work around does not work for Syphon client. Also it raises significant security concerns because you are now giving very broad permissions to ANY script that runs in the terminal - including many brew packages that many of us run.

Is there an active issue with the OBS project to create full and proper support in the native application - I'd like to subscribe!

vvulpes0

Anyone succesfully made any long Youtube live stream with the Catalina + Terminal OR Quick fix version yet? I should care one full day live stream and thinking if I should order few months Ecamm license for it. Seems it works without any problems with the Catalina. Although I would like the OBS much more (Ecamm is not so flexible at all and cost monthly).
I'm on Catalina, using the "quick fix" version. I don't do YouTube, but I do nine hours of Twitch streaming per week (a 3h session and a 6h one). No notable issues here. Using browser sources, text, window- and display-capture, as well as the direct (not NDI) feed from my Elgato HD60S+

DevCageR

To fix the NDI plugin, run the following three commands from the

So. What is the current state of possible official release to download? Is it still being worked on or is it considered working for most of the people?

Last edited:

VegaDesign

Got around to trying this just now and it didn't work. It still didn't ask me for screen recording permissions (nor does the app show up in my security and privacy system preferences to set myself) and it still only shows OS UI elements as selectable for window recording.

Have the same problem - there is no popup for permissions of the screen recording. Running via terminal - does not help. Catalina, OBS 24.0.2.

Any ideas about how to resolve the issue?

rachalmers

I keep seeing this popup, does anyone know what's happening. Its the catalina-2 build.
It has been happening when OBS asks about doing an update - but's its trying to updte to version 0.2 which I'm not running.
I'm running 24.0.3-g4cb53279-modified (64 bit ) on a Mac. I was running 24.0.2

Screenshot 2019-11-02 14.05.19.png

rachalmers

Have the same problem - there is no popup for permissions of the screen recording. Running via terminal - does not help. Catalina, OBS 24.0.2.

Any ideas about how to resolve the issue?
I moved the Applications/OBS to Applications/org-OBS then downloaded the catalina-fix-2.dmg build and installed that. After setting the permissions it seems to work ok, other than trying to update to 0.2 again, which I turned off.

detroit

Hello,
In Option 2: Run OBS manually from the Terminal

There isn’t obs-ndi.so on the new installation of OBS (both : normal AND 'obs-24.0.3-installer-catalina-fix-02.dmg' version)

Capture d’écran 2019-11-02 à 17.25.40.png

But with "open /Applications/OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/OBS --args -picture"
that's OK
---------
Option 1: Download and run the test build
Yes, I see box ask me that OBS want access to micro and screnn
and in preference I see the OBS's logo

Capture d’écran 2019-11-02 à 17.39.57.png

Capture d’écran 2019-11-02 à 17.40.24.png

And I don't need to run the console

I see micro level
Capture d’écran 2019-11-02 à 17.45.57.png

Thanks

Last edited:

NE0NS1DEAS

The newest version of macOS, 10.15 "Catalina", is now available. However, OBS Studio is currently not yet fully compatible with it. These issues stem from a change to the way Catalina handles permissions for things such as capturing webcams and microphones. For example, if you have a webcam capture in one of your scenes, OBS will crash. We are currently working on a fix.

Users currently have two options for running OBS on Catalina right now:

Option 1: Download and run the test build

This is a test build that we have put together that reorganizes the application package in a way more compatible with Catalina. Please help us test this version and let us know if you encounter any issues with it. We hope to have a formal release soon.

Important notes about this build:
  • This build is not signed, so the first time you open it, macOS may complain and not let you open it. If you can't open OBS, right-click on the icon and click "Open", and the pop-up should have an "Open" option available to open the program anyway.
  • The updater may not work correctly, so you will likely need to manually download the full update later when it comes out. However, this should work for many of you at least as a stop-gap so you at least have something working.
  • The install process has changed. Now when you open the .dmg file, you simply need to drag the OBS.app file into your Applications folder to install.
Download the test release here: http://obsproject.com/downloads/obs-24.0.3-installer-catalina-fix-02.dmg

Option 2: Run OBS manually from the Terminal

If you want to run the normal release, you will likely need to run OBS via the Terminal. Open the Terminal app and type the following:

Code:
open /Applications/OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/OBS --args -picture

NOTE: When you run OBS from the Terminal this way, and attempt to add things such as webcam capture or display capture, the Terminal will ask for these permissions instead of OBS. If so, be sure to grant those permissions to the Terminal to ensure functionality in OBS.

Important Notes

Permissions for Display Capture, Microphone, and Cameras

If you are trying to capture your display, microphone, or a camera on Catalina, you should get a pop-up asking to grant permission to OBS to allow it to do so. However, it seems that some users are not getting this pop-up. If you are having trouble with any of these things, you may need to manually grant OBS these permissions.

To do so, go to Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy, then under the entries for "Screen Recording", "Camera", and "Microphone", ensure that OBS is checked. Note that if you are running OBS from the Terminal, you may need to grant these permissions to the Terminal as well (unconfirmed).

Note about the NDI plugin:

For those of you using the third-party NDI plugin, you may need to run the following three commands from the Terminal in order to get it working:
Bash:
sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtWidgets @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/5/QtWidgets /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so

sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtGui @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/5/QtGui /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so

sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtCore @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so

I also have a further problem, Hotkeys do not work if you open obs from terminal ive tried tried it and tried it. I have also looked at the other forums on here regarding hotkeys and it has not worked please let me know when there is a solution (and when the new update is out)

Smolt

Whenever I record a video, if I move it into iMovie for simple edits, I can't play the video if it was recorded with OBS. The program just hangs. Any fixes? I'm on Catalina 10.15.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.