Question / Help Mac w/ Mojave > Logic Pro X > Ishowu > OBS - No Sound

TerribleHumanz

Having the damnedest time sorting this issue out. I have intentionally NOT upgraded to El Capatian and have been fighting the OBS upgrade requests so as to give the team time to work on a proper upgrade.

I'm new to all this, including livestreaming, so be gentle. I've only known of OBS for about 2 weeks.

OBS is setup, scenes are built, everything visually plays nicely, here comes audio...I got the Ishowu set up, created the multi-output device, and even got sound in 1 of my videos, then I closed my computer for the night. Upon reopening OBS the next day, the system had issue finding my cameras and loading them, its showing my same audio settings, but not receiving any audio.

I'm inputting my mics via a behringer xr18air into logic pro x (audio is in xr18, out multi output) into OBS > Desktop audio 1/2 are disabled, Aux 1 is xr18, Aux 2 in Ishowu, and Aux 3/4 are disabled.

Like I said, it worked once, now i can't see what I did wrong.

Also, I have yet to be able to get any screen audio recorded at all. I've got a second computer that I have been card capturing via HDMI, but this is a real pain when I know that it can all be done in OBS.

Narcogen

For the sake of troubleshooting, ditch the multioutput.

Tell Logic to send to iShowU.

Tell OBS to capture iShowU.

In the Mixer (Edit > Advanced Audio Properties) set the iShowU audio device to "monitor and output" and then in Settings > Audio set your Monitor device to be a hardware output you can listen to (headphones).

See if that works for you. The point of the multi-output is to get around any latency added in by using OBS, but there are other ways around that.

TerribleHumanz

For the sake of troubleshooting, ditch the multioutput.

Tell Logic to send to iShowU.

Tell OBS to capture iShowU.

In the Mixer (Edit > Advanced Audio Properties) set the iShowU audio device to "monitor and output" and then in Settings > Audio set your Monitor device to be a hardware output you can listen to (headphones).

See if that works for you. The point of the multi-output is to get around any latency added in by using OBS, but there are other ways around that.
Without Multioutput, I get NO sound whatsoever.

Narcogen

Even with monitoring on, set to your hardware output?

If so, there's something basic wrong with the initial setup of iShowU.

Whatever solution you use, SoundFlower, iShowU, LoopBack or other, the intent is for that virtual device to take the place of the default system output, or in your case, the Logic output. Sending output there means you can't hear it, but OBS should be able to pick it up there.

With that source set in OBS to "monitor and output" and a hardware device set in Settings > Audio as your Monitoring device, you should be able to hear the audio being sent to the virtual device, through OBS.

Another option that performs the same function as having the multioutput, but also avoids the added latency of monitoring through OBS, is to use the legacy freeware program LineIn by Rogue Amoeba:

https://rogueamoeba.com/legacy/#retired

There you can choose your virtual device, whatever device Logic is sending its output to, and set that to also forward to another hardware device for monitoring. Before I got LoopBack this was part of the solution I used.

If Logic is sending more than 2 channel audio (stereo) then there may be another problem as OBS is basically a stereo program that also supports surround audio, but does not natively support multichannel devices like a real DAW does.