Question / Help Mac OBS mic audio not working

Baban

Ok so I've been having this issue for a few months since the last OS update for mac. I've tried getting help in the discord by no one seems to know what's wrong.

-Mic works fine on everything else, not a mic issue. I regularly use the mic in imovie and never have an issue. Just using the built in mic in my macbook.
-Using a mac.
-Mic audio isn't being picked up on OBS.
-Sometimes picks up audio after uninstalling and reinstalling. I've been using this as a work-around for a while, reinstalling every day, using it once it works.
-After using this work around it reverts to not picking up the audio after shutting down the computer and restarting it to use the next day. Also reverts after closing and reopening without restarting, either immediately or after a few times of opening and closing.
-Sometimes randomly picks up audio after opening and closing OBS a number of times.
-Have tried deleting settings and completely reinstalling, this made it work ok for around 30mins (opening and closing OBS repeatedly and it picking up the audio every time)but now it's not working again.
-if audio isn't going to work it shows up as a single coloured bar, rather than the 2 when it does.
-Started having this issue after the last mac os update.

Would appreciate any help as this is holding me back a lot, thanks!

Narcogen

Check if you can give OBS permission to use the microphone in System Preferences > Security if you are using Mojave.

Try launching OBS from the command line and see if that helps:

/Applications/OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/OBS

Baban

Check if you can give OBS permission to use the microphone in System Preferences > Security if you are using Mojave.

OK so the permission for OBS to use the microphone is fine, I tried removing the permission then reapplying it and that seems to work! I have to do it each time I open it but it seems to be working consistently so I have a much better work around now, thank you!

JoelL

I just registered because I wanted to say that I was having the exact same issue and it was driving me crazy. Even though Mic permission was checked, I wasn't getting any signal. Unchecking the permissions and the rechecking them and then the mic started working. It was driving me nuts! Thanks!

jeredm9

Hey Guys!

This issue is drive me crazy and I reset my mac today thinking that that could resolve the problem... But no.

I just saw what you were saying but in System Preferences > Security > OBS doesn't appear! I only have skype here.

How did you do ??

Thank you very much

joyrani

Hi,
Silly me accidentally click on Don't Allow OBS to access my mic so now no matter how many times I removed it and reinstall it I still cannot get the audio/mic to pic up any sound! Please help, it is driving me crazy and I have an assignment to accomplished soon. Need some good clear advice.

joyrani

Hi it's okay, I finally figured it out.
Thank you for your advice above Narcogen, it worked and Jeredm9's complain actually helped me figured it out too.

Dj JJQ

Thank you for your helpful support.