Laggy Recording/Video Rendering on OBS

LosxThaGod

Hello fellow OBSers.
I'm new to the forums, so I'm not sure if we all have a nickname so im dubbing us as the OBSers lol.

Trying to keep this a bit short, yet thorough.

So I recently purchased a new gaming monitor from Asus, the VG278QR, which is a 165 hz (it's running at 144 hz right now) monitor with .5 ms and v-sync capabilities.
It came in today, and have been using it since then (obviously), which has been running flawlessly for Call of Duty Modern Warzone and co.

Now, before I dove in and tried to get some recordings and footage out here with my new monitor, with my good ol 60 hz Samsung monitor running as the secondary screen that allows me to keep OBS and other stuffed lobbied for me on the side, I did change up a few of my settings with some advice from my tech-savvy nephew. But as I went in and recorded, most of everything came out choppy as hell. No dead pixels or anything distorted of that nature. It's literally like "laggy", as if OBS is barely able to intake the 120+ frames I'm leaking out here with all my movements and such. Everything I've looked up on Google and such has not been helping me for sh*t. It's annoying me so much because I'm an aspiring video/content creator, and this monitor was something I've been anticipating for to arrive to my possession (at long last), and now that I pretty much got my whole gaming studio complete, OBS is over here failing on me miserably and it's been giving me hella issues. I cannot seem to figure it out.

I have plenty of RAM, with my PC running on 4 8 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3660 cards (32 gigs of memory).

CPU and GPU? I'm rocking on a AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 8 Core 3.4 GHz CPU, and a MSI Geforce GTX 1660 SUPER GPU.

I'm not sure what it is honestly. I'm accepting and appreciating the hell out of any help I can get from any of y'all.

SOS

recordingoutput.PNG

video.PNG

HERE ARE MY CURRENT SETTINGS SINCE THE LAST TIME I'VE MESSED AROUND.
Thank you if you read through this whole thing. I greatly appreciate your time.

Kraezy

@LosxThaGod

Not sure why no one has replied to this but this is a common problem with Windows 10 and Dual Monitor setups with different refresh rates that's plagued us for a number of years..

In brief, the WDM service within Windows 10 - throttles your highest refresh monitor down to your lowest if there is any form of Hardware Acceleration on your 60hz monitor.

If you play a video on your 60hz monitor it throttles your main monitor (144hz) down to 60hz
If you have live OBS preview open on your 2nd Monitor, it'll downscale your main to 60hz...
so on and so on.

You can test this using

Have the Browser window with the above url open on your 144hz monitor, then open a video or enable OBS preview on your 60hz monitor, you'll see it pulls the frequency of the browser source page on your 144hz monitor down to 60hz.

There's 2 options currently to remedy this that worked for me.

1) Do not play any form of Hardware Accelerated content on your 60hz / (as mentioned above Disable OBS preview when recording etc.)
2) Get another 144hz monitor. So you have 2 x 144hz monitors
3) See below

Another option which I can't validate as I upgraded to another 14hhz monitor regardless, is that the latest Update for Windows 10 (2004 Patch May 2020) after all these years apparently includes a fix for this. So if you don't want to do options 1 or 2, update your Windows first, see if this cures the issue, some report it should / has, if not you're left with options 1 or 2.

LosxThaGod

@LosxThaGod

Not sure why no one has replied to this but this is a common problem with Windows 10 and Dual Monitor setups with different refresh rates that's plagued us for a number of years..

In brief, the WDM service within Windows 10 - throttles your highest refresh monitor down to your lowest if there is any form of Hardware Acceleration on your 60hz monitor.

If you play a video on your 60hz monitor it throttles your main monitor (144hz) down to 60hz
If you have live OBS preview open on your 2nd Monitor, it'll downscale your main to 60hz...
so on and so on.

You can test this using

Have the Browser window with the above url open on your 144hz monitor, then open a video or enable OBS preview on your 60hz monitor, you'll see it pulls the frequency of the browser source page on your 144hz monitor down to 60hz.

There's 2 options currently to remedy this that worked for me.

1) Do not play any form of Hardware Accelerated content on your 60hz / (as mentioned above Disable OBS preview when recording etc.)
2) Get another 144hz monitor. So you have 2 x 144hz monitors
3) See below

Another option which I can't validate as I upgraded to another 14hhz monitor regardless, is that the latest Update for Windows 10 (2004 Patch May 2020) after all these years apparently includes a fix for this. So if you don't want to do options 1 or 2, update your Windows first, see if this cures the issue, some report it should / has, if not you're left with options 1 or 2.

I’d say this have to be the issue. It really does drag the frames down by nearly 50 when I run any sort of video on the secondary 60 hz.
I turned off the Preview & it seemed to have worked that way.
I’m unaware of that patch, so maybe I’ll look into that. I do remember my pc updating last month.

Thanks though man. Your advice helped. I might just wind up getting a twin for this screen tbh.