Laggy/Choppy video after recording game.

pictel2

So yeah... not much else to say. Trying to record, recording is laggy. Initial recording of the video is fine, but playback appears choppy. I was able to fix some of the issue by resetting OBS and using optimized settings for my laptop, is better but still a little choppy. And when I change scenes (in Minecraft from overworld to nether or vise versa) it's stuck for about a minute. Here is the video showing what it's like.

Laptop specs:
Windows 10 Home
4GB RAM/Memory
1TB HDD
AMD A8 6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics.

Lenovo laptop with 1600x900 display.

In 'Output' under 'Recording settings' - Output Mode: Simple

Recording Quality: High Quality, Medium File Size
Recording Format: mkv
Encoder: Software (x264)

Audio -

Not changed.

Video -

Base Resolution: 1600x900
Output Resolution: 853x480
Output Filter: Bicubic
FPS: 30

Everything else was left to default. Also note these settings where the best I've used, just not yet perfect.

qhobbes

OBS Settings, Output, Output Mode: Advanced. Type: Standard, Format: mkv, Encoder: x264, Rate Control: CRF, CRF: 23, Keyframe: 2, CPU: veryfast, Profile: High. Adjust CRF (higher number = lower quality) and CPU (faster = lower quality) as needed.

pictel2

OBS Settings, Output, Output Mode: Advanced. Type: Standard, Format: mkv, Encoder: x264, Rate Control: CRF, CRF: 23, Keyframe: 2, CPU: veryfast, Profile: High. Adjust CRF (higher number = lower quality) and CPU (faster = lower quality) as needed.
Thanks for the reply. I will try this out.

pictel2

Kind of made it better, kind of worse. At times when the movement is smooth in the video it's fine, but if I move in the game too fast, the lag is worse. Would changing the audio bitrate help? I know that changing something in the audio helped me when I used a different recording software...

qhobbes

qhobbes

1. You are running Windows 10 1803, which has not been supported by Microsoft since November 2019. We recommend updating to the latest Windows release to ensure continued security, functionality, and compatibility and per https://obsproject.com/blog/five-simple-tips-for-new-streamers
2. At least one of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 44100 Hz (Change this (after #3) in OBS Settings , Audio, General, Sample Rate 48 kHz.)
Speakers (Conexant SmartAudio HD): 44100 Hz
Microphone (Conexant SmartAudio HD): 48000 Hz
3. Run OBS as admin. Right click on the shortcut, properties, advanced, check box.
4. Your log contains no recording or streaming session. Results of this log analysis are limited. Please post a link to a clean log file.
To make a clean log file, please follow these steps:

1) Restart OBS as admin.
2) Start your stream/recording for about 30 seconds. Make sure you replicate any issues as best you can, which means having any games/apps open and captured, etc.
3) Stop your stream/recording.
4) Select Help > Log Files > Upload Current Log File. Send that link via this troubleshooting tool or whichever support chat you are using.

qhobbes

1. You are running Windows 10 1803, which has not been supported by Microsoft since November 2019. We recommend updating to the latest Windows release to ensure continued security, functionality, and compatibility and per https://obsproject.com/blog/five-simple-tips-for-new-streamers
2. Run OBS as admin. Right click on the shortcut, properties, advanced, check box.
3. That log is incomplete. There is not stop in the recording.

qhobbes

0. Change the refresh rate on your Acer monitor from 144 Hz to 120 Hz
1. In Windows 10 versions 1809 and newer, we recommend that "Game Mode" be enabled for maximum gaming performance. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode.
2. To ensure that OBS Studio has the hardware resources it needs for realtime streaming and recording, we recommend disabling the "Game DVR Background Recording" feature via these instructions.
3. You are not running the latest version of OBS Studio. Please update by downloading the latest installer from the downloads page and running it.
4. Record to MKV or FLV. If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable.

If you require MP4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window or enable Auto Remux in the advanced settings.
5. At least one of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Speakers (Conexant SmartAudio HD): 48000 Hz
Microphone (Yeti Stereo Microphone): 48000 Hz

To fix this, go to Settings, Audio, General and set the Sample Rate to 48 kHz.
5. Framerates other than 30fps or 60fps may lead to playback issues like stuttering or screen tearing. Stick to either of these for better compatibility with video players. You can change your OBS frame rate in Settings -> Video.
6. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene.
7. Multiple Game Capture sources are usually not needed, and can sometimes interfere with each other. You can use the same Game Capture for all your games! If you change games often, try out the hotkey mode, which lets you press a key to select your active game. If you play games in fullscreen, use 'Capture any fullscreen application' mode.

Please post new log after making those changes.

ThornierLake

I tried it but when I record my game and I watch my recordings it's still lag what should I do?

pixelpizzaparty

Hi!, having a similar problem that has literally happened over night. this is after an initial issue with game capture no longer working and giving me a black screen, so switched to display capture instead. I tried the above solution:
( OBS Settings, Output, Output Mode: Advanced. Type: Standard, Format: mkv, Encoder: x264, Rate Control: CRF, CRF: 23, Keyframe: 2, CPU: veryfast, Profile: High. Adjust CRF (higher number = lower quality) and CPU (faster = lower quality) as needed )
...looked fine for the first minute, but starts lagging/ choppy at 1min 18 secs. running as admin. please help!

log: https://obsproject.com/logs/p0VFZDblHyBa1yuT