Lag with 3600xt

Macluc123

Hi! First of all I want to say that I have used obs a while now but don't know much about the program and settings!

I bought a new cpu a while ago, a AMD Ryzen 5 3600xt. And now three months later I decided to start streaming. And of course because I bought a new cpu I want to use that as a encoder (x264). But for some reason my game lags when I only have obs started, not even streaming or recording, the cpu usage is about 30-60%.

If someone knows how to fix this please reply!

(My english is not that good)

Lawrence_SoCal

Using the CPU for encoding... might make sense
real-time video encoding is VERY computationally demanding. Offloading to a GPU can help (sometimes, it depends)

I recommend monitoring hardware resource (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc) utilization to see if your system is being maxed out with your settings [Task manager’s Performance tab and/or Resource Monitor]. Starting OBS with all of your settings means rendering the screen in OBS (nothing to do with recording or streaming... you are doing all of the encoding work already because you can see it on screen, right?). Using OBS in Studio Mode doubles that rendering work (so don't do that if CPU load is an issue)

And depending on your OS and OBS settings, it is easy to drive even the most powerful computer to its breaking point. So if you've followed YouTube type advice, without understanding (or being told) the context, it is easy to set up OBS for a way your PC can't support

So, let's see your settings (via OBS log) with a recording or streaming session.. Per pinned post in this forum

Macluc123

Using the CPU for encoding... might make sense
real-time video encoding is VERY computationally demanding. Offloading to a GPU can help (sometimes, it depends)

I recommend monitoring hardware resource (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc) utilization to see if your system is being maxed out with your settings [Task manager’s Performance tab and/or Resource Monitor]. Starting OBS with all of your settings means rendering the screen in OBS (nothing to do with recording or streaming... you are doing all of the encoding work already because you can see it on screen, right?). Using OBS in Studio Mode doubles that rendering work (so don't do that if CPU load is an issue)

And depending on your OS and OBS settings, it is easy to drive even the most powerful computer to its breaking point. So if you've followed YouTube type advice, without understanding (or being told) the context, it is easy to set up OBS for a way your PC can't support

So, let's see your settings (via OBS log) with a recording or streaming session.. Per pinned post in this forum

Thanks for reply!

I want to use my cpu as encoder because I've heard that it's better quality when you encode with cpu than gpu.

This log is from a recording

Attachments

• 2021-04-01 19-29-47.txt
    16.7 KB · Views: 19

Lawrence_SoCal

I want to use my cpu as encoder because I've heard that it's better quality when you encode with cpu than gpu.
Yea, that is the kind of stupid (unvetted) advice one gets from random folks on the Internet that makes informed folks just shake there head in annoyance

it isn't that simple

can you get better video quality from CPU encoding that GPU, *IF* you have unconstrained CPU resources? sure
but you don't have unconstrained system resources. and you aren't a technical expert on your computer, nor Operating System, nor OBS to make sure your system doesn't end up tripping over itself.. and different GPUs produce different results.
At the resolution, FPS, and bitrate you plan to stream at, will the difference be visible? and when you are constrained, what is optimal compromise in settings? those are all 'better', more appropriate questions in my mind (but not good for a click bait article/video title)
So if you set a mid-range CPU to produce real high quality real-time video encoding, one shouldn't be surprised at high CPU usage.. CPU is doing EXACTLY what you asked of it.

Others can comment on specific settings around 1080p, 50fps at 6000 bitrate

I'm not sure if this might be helpful (or accurate)
Boost your stream quality — choose the right encoder! | by Andrew Whitehead | Mobcrush Blog
Get the most out of your CPU or GPU and stop dropping frames Jul 2, 2020 · 4 min read

also, these seemed informative
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/please-help-me-setup-my-stream.139369/#post-511474
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/best-settings.140188/#post-514693