Lag/stuttering on dual 144hz monitors

topdogmsn

Recently got a 144hz monitor as my main monitor, its QHD with freesync.
After I got this, my pc started to lag/stutter in certain games like Knockout City, Rogue Company and Genshin Impact, while other games like Minecraft (with shaders) different horror games and fortnite runs fine.

I figured it was the Windows 3d acceleration issue, where windows cant use v-sync properly if both monitors arent the same refresh rate.
So i upgraded my second monitor from 75hz to 144hz full HD, but the issue is still there.

I have game mode off, tried with freesync on and off, tried putting both monitors to 60hz in nvidia control panel, I have only 1 capture source active in my scene at once (i toggle between game and display capture, so only one of them are active)

I have tried everything I can think off, and I dont know what to do anymore.

I have a pretty powerful pc with a rtx 3090, a ryzen 9 3950x and 32 gb ram.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 2021-08-19 18-23-26.txt
    135.8 KB · Views: 64

qhobbes

1. Change the refresh rates to 120 and cap your games at 120 FPS.
2. At least one of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Speakers (Logitech G733 Gaming Headset): 44100 Hz
Microphone (Logitech G733 Gaming Headset): 48000 Hz
Analogue 1 + 2 (2- Focusrite Usb Audio): 44100 Hz
Digital Audio Interface (Valve VR Radio & HMD Mic): 48000 Hz
3. Enable "Game Mode" for maximum gaming performance. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode.
4. Uncheck the boxes for Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning.
5. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene (Game Sources).
6. Your gigabit-capable network card is only connecting at 100mbps. This may indicate a bad network cable or outdated router / switch which could be impacting network performance. If this is because of 100mbps switch, that's fine, just make sure it's not the cable.
7. Record to MKV. If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable.

If you require MP4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window or enable Auto Remux in the Advanced Settings.

Post new log after making those changes if still having issues.

topdogmsn

1. Change the refresh rates to 120 and cap your games at 120 FPS.
2. At least one of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Speakers (Logitech G733 Gaming Headset): 44100 Hz
Microphone (Logitech G733 Gaming Headset): 48000 Hz
Analogue 1 + 2 (2- Focusrite Usb Audio): 44100 Hz
Digital Audio Interface (Valve VR Radio & HMD Mic): 48000 Hz
3. Enable "Game Mode" for maximum gaming performance. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows 10 "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode.
4. Uncheck the boxes for Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning.
5. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene (Game Sources).
6. Your gigabit-capable network card is only connecting at 100mbps. This may indicate a bad network cable or outdated router / switch which could be impacting network performance. If this is because of 100mbps switch, that's fine, just make sure it's not the cable.
7. Record to MKV. If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable.

If you require MP4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window or enable Auto Remux in the Advanced Settings.

Post new log after making those changes if still having issues.
Thank you so much for your help.

I have some problems/questions
1. Cant change valve index audio properties
2. People usually say game mode should be off?
3. Can I put display and game capture into their separate scenes and then import the scenes into my gaming scene?
4. My router is pretty old but my connection is only 100/100 mb so its not an issue for me.
5. is there a reason 48 Hz is recommended instead of 44.1hz? I have a background as a videographer, so thats why 44.1hz makes sense for me

I have made all the other changes and got a stream tomorrow, will return if I have more issues, thank you very much

qhobbes

2. When Game Mode came out, there were problems, but as long as you're using up-to-date Windows, you should be good.
3. I don't know but probably not.
5. "Using a 48 kHz sample rate offers slightly more headroom for tweaking your mix. If you decide to go back and edit the master, the 48 kHz sample rate offers more flexibility, especially when working with high frequencies such as the sounds produced by cymbals and high hats. A higher sample rate also reduces the risk of aliasing." https://www.protoolsproduction.com/44-1khz-vs-48khz-audio-which-is-better/ While some or all of that may not apply, just better to have consistent sample rates to avoid drift.

topdogmsn

2. When Game Mode came out, there were problems, but as long as you're using up-to-date Windows, you should be good.
3. I don't know but probably not.
5. "Using a 48 kHz sample rate offers slightly more headroom for tweaking your mix. If you decide to go back and edit the master, the 48 kHz sample rate offers more flexibility, especially when working with high frequencies such as the sounds produced by cymbals and high hats. A higher sample rate also reduces the risk of aliasing." https://www.protoolsproduction.com/44-1khz-vs-48khz-audio-which-is-better/ While some or all of that may not apply, just better to have consistent sample rates to avoid drift.
I had a 12 hour stream yesterday and it seems like everything worked out.
Thank you <3

lazerladle

SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN ANSWERED IN ADVANCE. I am responding to this post because I was having similar issue. So i referred to this post when i was trying to set up my PC for streaming. It has an i9 11900k liquid cooled, geforce rtx 3060, 64GB corsair Ram, 1000 watt corsair P/S. no reason there should be ANY lag at all. IT WAS TERRIBLE!!! My kid has a prebuilt i7 PC with an inferior Graphics card, and his streams flawlessly. I tried switching my 3060 to my 2070 super i have laying around and it did the same thing. I tried using only 1 monitor at 144Hz did same thing, tried turning graphics all the way down and adjusting the outputs to low resolution and it did the same thing. Tried adjusting the monitor to 75hz and it did the same thing. I know, Stop dude. we get it. you tried a lot of stuff.

ANYHOW

I ended up doing one simple thing. In windows, there is a graphic setting called Hardware-Accelerated GPU scheduling. Mine was turned off for some reason. I turned it on, and BOOM. that was all i needed to do. I have fortnite with EPIC everything, and my streaming software is seemless and smooth. So the hardward accelerated GPU scheduling reduces latency and improves performance. Not sure why this wasnt a standard thing to have turned on ???

Anyhow , hope this helps someone. It took me all day of messing around to finally figure this out!!