Keep Disconnecting/Reconnecting when I start Streaming via Wi-Fi

ChickenStrips

Pretty much as the title says, every time when I'm on Wi-Fi, I hit the "Start Streaming" button, and that green sqaure on the bottom right will turn red and I'll lose connection to my Twitch Stream. Even though I'm still connected to the internet and I have no issues with anything else. A popup will come up saying "connecting...reconnecting" but looking at my Twitch stream it says I'm offline. I bought an ethernet cable and it seems to work most of the time. I even bought a new wifi usb adapter (Tp-Link AX1800) to see if it was my wi-fi in my motherboard but it still seems to not work. Weird though because I streamed last year just fine and had no issues and I was connected via wi-fi. I'm gonna grab my laptop from my brother soon so that I can test it out on there but has anyone else has/had this issue? I tried updating, rebooting my modem, updating everything, reinstalled obs. I'll attach some logs to see if anyone can find anything.

Attachments

• 2023-08-03 16-34-37.txt
    18.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 2023-08-03 16-32-05.txt
    23.2 KB · Views: 13

AaronD

Don't use WiFi if you can avoid it. In fact, don't use *anything* wireless if you can avoid it. Wireless is always an opportunity for something to go wrong that few people really understand in detail. Radio is weird.

String a long Cat-5 through doors and across the floor if you have to. And give it enough slack to not break something if you trip over it.

If you MUST use wireless for anything, be prepared for whatever that is to suddenly become unusable at any time, even if "it's always worked before." It might just be that your neighbor never used his microwave before, while you were streaming, and this time he did. He doesn't know that his shielding is bad, but you do!

qhobbes

If you don't want to run Ethernet through the house, look into Ethernet over power and MoCA adapters.

ChickenStrips

hmmm interesting. yeah i figured Wi-Fi isn't perfect but man every single time I tried to stream, I disconnected. I will look into the ethernet over power though. thanks for that recommendation

AaronD

If you don't want to run Ethernet through the house, look into Ethernet over power and MoCA adapters.
I will look into the ethernet over power though. thanks for that recommendation
I'm not convinced that anything over power is worth doing either. All kinds of noise there, mostly from brushed ("universal") motors and big linear (old cheap design) DC power supplies. I remember an analog phone extension over power that barely worked at all when used for a 56k modem. Maybe those things have gotten better now???

The coax one might work though: use the TV jacks that are more likely to exist in an older house. If you do that, I'd trace the wiring and disconnect it from the rest of the antenna distribution system. Make it into a dedicated run just for that. No splitters, active or passive, only 1:1 extensions.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
It looks like your Wi-Fi is using a 160 MHz channel, of which there is basically only one usable in the 5 GHz band so the chances of it being interference-free are extremely low. You could try using 80 / 40 / 20 MHz on your router / AP, this will reduce the bandwidth in exchange for increased resiliency to interference (and of course, try different channels at these bandwidths).