Is there a way to view the stream chat from OBS on a cellphone or another computer while livestreaming?

Joe_Winko

This is a bit complicated but I'm using some site called melon to livestream on twitch & youtube at the same time.
unfortantely melon does not have the ability to display chat from both sites while livestreaming with OBS and they told me i'd have to view the chat through OBS instead, BUT when ever im livestreaming a computer game with obs, the computer game is always fullscreen and i don't want to alt+tab between the game & obs to check the chat,

here's my question: is there a way i can view the chat with OBS & have it displayed on my phone instead so i can just look at my phone to view the chat?
i dont want the chat to be listed on the screen of my livestream, i just want to be able to see it myself. how can i do that?

FerretBomb

OBS does not handle site-specific chat, or unified multi-site chat, just embeds the chatbox from certain sites as Custom Docks. What you're looking for is not something OBS handles. At all.

You'd need to look for a site that allows viewing chats from multiple sites simultaneously, and open it on your phone.

That said, multi-streaming is a terrible idea as a new/small content creator. It creates a fundamental divide in your community, which tends to lead to friction or outright hostility. Good luck though!

Joe_Winko

OBS does not handle site-specific chat, or unified multi-site chat, just embeds the chatbox from certain sites as Custom Docks. What you're looking for is not something OBS handles. At all.

You'd need to look for a site that allows viewing chats from multiple sites simultaneously, and open it on your phone.

That said, multi-streaming is a terrible idea as a new/small content creator. It creates a fundamental divide in your community, which tends to lead to friction or outright hostility. Good luck though!

i actually have been livestreaming for years and i'm at 13,000+ subscribers actually. not quite a small youtuber.
& it's mainly the problem with melon. they don't seem to have a good way of handling the chats from the different sites at all

FerretBomb

i actually have been livestreaming for years and i'm at 13,000+ subscribers actually. not quite a small youtuber.
& it's mainly the problem with melon. they don't seem to have a good way of handling the chats from the different sites at all
Heh. I'm just north of the 40K mark on Twitch and still consider myself small, so untwist the britches, bud. :)

Again, you'll need to find a chat aggregator site and use that. OBS doesn't do it.

Joe_Winko

Again, you'll need to find a chat aggregator site and use that. OBS doesn't do it.

what chat aggregator site do you reccomend?
nevermind... I found this video explaining how to: https://youtu.be/VM0S-J4bey4

Exactly how is it a bad idea?... I think it's an excellent idea to have people on 2 sites watch you. lots of people even use youtube AND twitch together.... Can you mame one example of that going wrong?...

Last edited:

FerretBomb

Exactly how is it a bad idea?... I think it's an excellent idea to have people on 2 sites watch you. lots of people even use youtube AND twitch together.... Can you mame one example of that going wrong?...
It is a fundamental divide in the community. YT and Twitch chatters cannot cross-communicate, by nature of the separated chats. Yes, you can respond to both yourself using an aggregator, but that intrinsic 'wall' tends to quickly lead to an 'us vs them' mentality, even with careful cultivation, at least as an undercurrent.
Worse, as you grow, you WILL eventually hit a point where platform-exclusivity is a requirement. You'll have to pick one, and dump the other. And yes, some from the other may make the jump across. But more often it leads to anger at a perceived (and very real) abandonment, as 'their side' loses.
All-around it's a bad call that looks good on the surface. Not from a practical or technical standpoint, but a sociological one.

It's absolutely your call to make, but it's fundamentally, deeply flawed in the long run, and not recommended. Much better to make platform-specific content; dead-file video for YT, livestreams on Twitch. Improves your overall funnel in playing to the strengths of each, instead of dumping everything together in one piled-up mess.

Joe_Winko

It is a fundamental divide in the community. YT and Twitch chatters cannot cross-communicate, by nature of the separated chats. Yes, you can respond to both yourself using an aggregator, but that intrinsic 'wall' tends to quickly lead to an 'us vs them' mentality, even with careful cultivation, at least as an undercurrent.

no offense but you're really over thinking it... either way, if viewers started feeling that way, I feel like most of the viewers would just simply think: "oh, Joe Winko is paying more attention to the youtube chat instead of the twitch chat, I should just type my messages to him on youtube instead" which doesn't seem to generate a rivalry...

But either way, since I discovered that you can use restream to manage all the messages, that won't even be an issue.

Worse, as you grow, you WILL eventually hit a point where platform-exclusivity is a requirement. You'll have to pick one, and dump the other. And yes, some from the other may make the jump across. But more often it leads to anger at a perceived (and very real) abandonment, as 'their side' loses.

this would Never occur with me.

I'm not trying to make money off my livestreams, im just doing it for fun. That will Definately never happen to me.
I do want more viewers but I'm DEFINATELY not aiming to become logan paul...
I never have & never will be joining any partnerships on either platform.

I have been streaming for years... I looked you up & see that you have too for a bit longer than I have.
I'm not sure what kind of people watch your streams, but based on what you're telling me here, I have a COMPLETELY different kind of audience. They never really seem to take my gaming streams that seriously. They wouldn't get 'angry' or 'betrayed' with me if i started using one site more than the other (which would Never happen anyway, because I'd be using both of them).

All-around it's a bad call that looks good on the surface. Not from a practical or technical standpoint, but a sociological one.

It's absolutely your call to make, but it's fundamentally, deeply flawed in the long run, and not recommended. Much better to make platform-specific content; dead-file video for YT, livestreams on Twitch. Improves your overall funnel in playing to the strengths of each, instead of dumping everything together in one piled-up mess.

It doesn't seem flawed at all to me... Another thing I forgot to mention is that I actually HAVE streamed on both twitch & youtube back when restream was for free, but i only stopped because restream started adding a watermark. Back then I never had any issues streaming to both sites & actually loved it.

Another MAJOR thing I noticed is that people from twitch ALSO had accounts on youtube & then started subscribing to my youtube channel as well to watch me there.

luck of the draw & matter of opinion for each person I guess, but I honestly think it's a really good idea.

FerretBomb

You are absolutely welcome to your opinion, and of course to run your stream(s) as you like.

In any case, we are well outside the Support scope at this point. Have a good one!

GeekyGamer

This is a bit complicated but I'm using some site called melon to livestream on twitch & youtube at the same time.
unfortantely melon does not have the ability to display chat from both sites while livestreaming with OBS and they told me i'd have to view the chat through OBS instead, BUT when ever im livestreaming a computer game with obs, the computer game is always fullscreen and i don't want to alt+tab between the game & obs to check the chat,

here's my question: is there a way i can view the chat with OBS & have it displayed on my phone instead so i can just look at my phone to view the chat?
i dont want the chat to be listed on the screen of my livestream, i just want to be able to see it myself. how can i do that?
I'm really new in streams but found really interesting article about that