BirdieCloud

I am trying to connect my iPad Pro (4th gen) to OBS via the Apple USB-C - HDMI adapter and the Elgato HD60 S. I can sometimes get it to connect for a few seconds at most, but it inevitably drops and gives me "no signal".

I have tried FIVE different adapters now, and all of them have given me inconsistent signals in one way or another (some flicker, some display the colors way off, some have trouble establishing a connection at all.)
I have also tried a work-around someone suggested using a certain type of HDMI splitter that processes the signal differently, but that didn't work either.

For reference, I have tested all my devices and HDMI cables individually and have updated and restarted my iPad, my computer, and OBS many times. I am able to successfully stream / record from my Nintendo Switch as well as my iPhone and iPad Mini 4 (with their respective adapter) in OBS with no problem whatsoever. It is only my new iPad Pro that is having issues.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Lawrence_SoCal

Good luck, and I'll be watching to see if someone has a good suggestion, and hopefully you find an answer, as I coudl see myself wanting/needing to use such in the future

In the interim, as much as I always pushed for wired over wireless, with Apple frequently not following standards, have you considered a wireless option like NDI or similar?

BirdieCloud

Hmm, I wasn't even familiar with wireless options like NDI, so thank you for mentioning that! I'll look into it some more, but likewise, I would hope that a wired set up would be the most reliable. Especially since I already have all the pieces that would be needed theoretically.

Tomasz Góral

It is true that I do not have an iPad Pro, but have you thought about a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort then HDMI adapter?
And of course, after connecting the device, did you change the resolution to Ipad Pro?

BirdieCloud

I'm not sure I understand how these extra conversions would aid connectivity. The iPad Pro only has a USB-C port, where I connect the HDMI adapter, through which I connect it to my capture card, and then to my computer and OBS. Are you suggesting I find an adapter for USB-C to DisplayPort, then DisplayPort to HDMI in order to connect it to my capture card? And if so, how does that help the inconsistent signal?

As for resolution and other settings, I think I have everything set up alright. Again, I've been able to get it to connect for brief moments and the display was just fine in OBS. The only issue is that it doesn't hold the signal.

Tomasz Góral

Original cable is only USB-C - DisplayPort, other to HDMI is from other suppliers (not from Apple).
have you checked all resolutions?

Lexnos

I am having the exact same problem at the moment. My iPad Air and iPhone work fine with the Elgato capture card to OBS but as soon as I switch to the iPad Pro 4th gen I get no signal after a few seconds of it working properly.

Please let me know if you resolve the issue. I’ll keep trying to figure it out on my own as well and let you know if I figure it out.

Tomasz Góral

One more thought came to me, with Avermedia products, it is possible to disable HDCP in the description there is the information 'If you use IOS'. Can your device receive HDCP encoded signal?

BirdieCloud

I retraced my steps on some of my earlier trouble shooting research, and it seems that bypassing HDCP was the purpose of the HDMI splitter suggestion, which ultimately didn't solve the problem when I tried it. I have looked but haven't found a way to enable/disable HDCP on any of my devices, but most resources are saying that it is off by default on iOS (unless apps like Netflix are open, which I have never had).

chinfinite

so any solutions or fix in this situations we have? because i already facing same problem. i owned Elgato HD60s i have tried bunch of USB-C to HDMI adapters and also HDMI cables Premium/Cheap but nothings work either. im very disappointed :(

rwick

I am trying to connect my iPad Pro (4th gen) to OBS via the Apple USB-C - HDMI adapter and the Elgato HD60 S. I can sometimes get it to connect for a few seconds at most, but it inevitably drops and gives me "no signal".

I have tried FIVE different adapters now, and all of them have given me inconsistent signals in one way or another (some flicker, some display the colors way off, some have trouble establishing a connection at all.)
I have also tried a work-around someone suggested using a certain type of HDMI splitter that processes the signal differently, but that didn't work either.

For reference, I have tested all my devices and HDMI cables individually and have updated and restarted my iPad, my computer, and OBS many times. I am able to successfully stream / record from my Nintendo Switch as well as my iPhone and iPad Mini 4 (with their respective adapter) in OBS with no problem whatsoever. It is only my new iPad Pro that is having issues.

I've been having the same problem: I have tried 3 HDMI capture systems (including Elagato 60s); 5 usb-c to HDMI dongles; 4 HDMI cables. The dongles and cables are *known good* because they work even at 4K on 3 difft 4K monitors. Bottom line: I am *guessing* the iPad Pro 2020, with only usb-c, is trying to bundle *too many signals* all at once all piping through the usb-c port. Once I switch to an *OLDER* ipad that uses a lightning connector instead, ie, thunderbolt 3, all goes well. I don't know whether it's because the OSB code doesn't handshake w the usb-c video signal properly, or whether it is just the newer Apple hardware/sw combo that is at issue. But it IS a problem.

chinfinite

I've been having the same problem: I have tried 3 HDMI capture systems (including Elagato 60s); 5 usb-c to HDMI dongles; 4 HDMI cables. The dongles and cables are *known good* because they work even at 4K on 3 difft 4K monitors. Bottom line: I am *guessing* the iPad Pro 2020, with only usb-c, is trying to bundle *too many signals* all at once all piping through the usb-c port. Once I switch to an *OLDER* ipad that uses a lightning connector instead, ie, thunderbolt 3, all goes well. I don't know whether it's because the OSB code doesn't handshake w the usb-c video signal properly, or whether it is just the newer Apple hardware/sw combo that is at issue. But it IS a problem.
i think you are right maybe the problem is the Ipad Pro 2018/2020 because also my friend having no issues in iphones & any other device. i also buy a hdmi splitter bot nothings work.

For my condition, I have a iPhone XS Max and a iPad Pro 12.9 2020.
I use a Avermedia GC553 as the capture box.
Before I also own a 2nd Gen iPad Pro 12.9.
Today I first try to broadcast with my iPad pro with a hdmi to type c cable.
I also meet the problem.
Seems OBS cannot recognize the correct resolution of the iPad Pro.
To fix it, I need to set the custom resolution of video from capture in OBS to 2580x1440 for my iPad Pro.
On the other hand 1920x1080 is used for the iPhone XS Max and my old 2nd Gen iPad Pro.
Hope this may help you.

TCMeta

I just set up my 2018 iPad Pro to my 2020 MacBook Pro. It would not initially work because I was using third party lightning to usb cables (these cables do work when I connect my iPad using QuickTime player). I switched to an actual Apple lightning/usb cable and it worked fine. Be sure your cables can transfer data well.

affoltep

I would like to reactivate this topic - Does anybody has found a solution meanwhile?
iPad pro (2.gen, iOS 14.5) over usb-d to hdmi adapter (original or anything else) doesn't seem to work with capture devices and certain beamers. However, together with a common HDMI display it is working without any issues.
The screen from the iPad appears right after connecting for a glance of certain seconds, then it disappears.All tips above, as fixed resolution, different adapters, different hdmi cables do not fix the issue.

Lawrence_SoCal

Have you compared capturing the iPad's camera output )ie using iPad as video camera) vs HDCP protected content being played on the iPad?

affoltep

It try to summarize my investigations:
iPad pro hdmi output from USB-C connector does not work with screen capture devices (hdmi to usb). Neither it is a problem of the cable nor it is a problem of HDCP. I as well tried in combination with several signal amplifiers and hdmi splitters. The HDMI signal from the iPad seems to be at the limit of quality for certain devices.
As acceptable workaround I am using now an app, which is called "apowermirror". This seems to be the only app which allows a reliable connection by an usb cable and transfer the screen of the iPad to Win 10. I tried as well other apps for screen sharing, but they all use wifi to transfer the screen, which is not stable enough for presentations and use a lot of network bandwidth.

Yahya Al Zain

Any updates, i have the same issue with my iPad pro 2021 the screen keeps disconnecting randomly every moments ???

Lawrence_SoCal

A number of comments above indicate they think the issue is OBS. I suspect OBS has nothing to do with the problem, rather OBS is only where the problem is noticed. As I regularly advise for audio and video input troubleshooting - start outside of OBS (OBS not running)
There are plenty of Operating System native viewers one can use to monitor the captured signal. Either that or very well-known open-source (relatively simple) recording software (vs OBS sophisticated compositing capability). My suspicion is that the video signal stability issue exists outside of OBS. And using OBS simply adds too many variables to facilitate quick troubleshooting.
Be sure to be aware of the actual resolution, frame rate, color depth, etc of the incoming/captured video signal
Once that is working stably to the Operating System, then work on using that signal in OBS

Another real possibility is simply Apple's lack of following standards, especially around USB-C. This may be something that needs an iOS update to resolve. And/or firmware updates to the adapters (if possible)