Question / Help In order to record desktop audio, settings must be changed every time

mhmm yes

log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/-EAwb2xy8PtnghN6

After finding that only the mic audio could be heard in my recordings, despite the audio mixer indicating that desktop audio was being picked up, I found this thread from last May, and changed my audio settings accordingly, with "Desktop Audio" set to "default" and "Desktop Audio 2" set to "Speakers (Fiio Q1)." Doing this worked initially, but after ending a recording and hitting "Start Recording" again soon afterward, the desktop audio was once again inaudible in the resulting video.

In order to successfully record desktop audio each time, I set "Desktop Audio" to "default" or "Speakers (Fiio Q1)" and "Desktop Audio 2" to "disabled," hit "apply," and then change the settings back to the ones described in the above paragraph. In case it matters, this issue occurs whether I encode using x264 or Advanced Media Framework.

Is there anything I can do so that audio settings to not need to be changed back and forth each time I record?

Narcogen

If you know what your default device is, you should set Desktop audio to that, instead of "default". If anything changes your default device (if you change it; adding devices can change it, rebooting can change it) then this setting will change in OBS as well.

If your Speakers (Fiio Q1) ever become default, then you may have them in twice and that will cause echo, or, if you have exclusivity on, they may negate each other and you'll get no audio.

If you check what your default device is in Windows before launching OBS, and then make sure OBS is set to that device for desktop audio, it should always work as long as device exclusivity is off.

mhmm yes

If you know what your default device is, you should set Desktop audio to that, instead of "default". If anything changes your default device (if you change it; adding devices can change it, rebooting can change it) then this setting will change in OBS as well.

If your Speakers (Fiio Q1) ever become default, then you may have them in twice and that will cause echo, or, if you have exclusivity on, they may negate each other and you'll get no audio.

If you check what your default device is in Windows before launching OBS, and then make sure OBS is set to that device for desktop audio, it should always work as long as device exclusivity is off.

Thank you very much. I could've sworn this was this was the first configuration I tried when I started having the problem, but sure enough, these settings do work repeatedly. I probably should have tried these settings again before starting a thread in the first place. I will be more careful to avoid PEBCAKs in the future.

mhmm yes

I take that back. After a few clips, the same problem came up again, and setting Desktop Audio to Fiio Q1 and Desktop Audio 2 to disabled ceased to produce recordings with desktop audio. Restarting OBS seems to have allowed the settings described in the previous sentence to work again. I am not sure how to reliably reproduce my own problem at this point.

carlmmii

Can you provide a new log file with the audio devices set up exactly as you have stated (desktop audio to Fiio Q1, desktop audio 2 disabled), where OBS does not capture your audio? Make sure not to change anything, I just want to see what OBS reports in the initialization section for a time where things do not work, and it's trying to initialize just the single source.