Castro1477

Thats my current log i dont get whats wrong my equipment is pretty top notch but i dont get why im having issues now when i havent had issues in the past two years.
Encoding Overload almost the whole stream My average time to render frames is through the roof. I have tones of missed frames from rendering lag/encoding lag. What can I do. Any help will be greatly appreciated. And if its not annoying dumb down the changes if possible ive been breaking my head trying to figure this out.

I9-13900k, RTX 4090, 64 gb DDR5 Ram. 4 2TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1 2TB samsung 970 Pro, Asus z790 e mother board.

deFrisselle

Check your Task Manager to see what tasks are using CPU and GPU resources Something(s) is using a lot of system resources

What are you streaming

Castro1477

I've checked in game and my CPU is usually only at 50% my gpu is usually at 100% but because I have warzone and OBS running. But even when I play other games like Fortnite I still have the same issues. Easier games (manor lords, supermarket simulator) are a bit better but I still get encoding overload.

Suslik V

I can explain.
Message: "Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls" in the log says that graphics system of your PC overloaded and cannot process OBS task in time, so some frames were skipped.

OBS uses GPU for composing images, scaling, filtering of all sources etc. If OBS has no room to work then nothing will help. Cap the game's fps is what you can try first.

Lawrence_SoCal

I usually lock FPS at 165 since thats what my monitor goes up to.
see LOTS of threads in this forum on issues that can result from having uneven multiples between OBS Studio FPS and monitor refresh rate and game FPS. Like mismatched audio sampling rates .... best to avoid

a common recommendation is that If Recording/Streaming at 60FPS, then set monitor to 60 or 120Hz (or 180, I suppose for those that support such), and cap game FPS to 120
Also, previously ( and I don't know how well resolved it is currently) Windows OS had issues with multiple monitors at different refresh rates

And beware the concept that GPU is at 100% as NVENC is a separate set of chips, so GPU chips being maxed out wouldn't be an issue for NVENC, _presuming_ none of your other settings requiring other GPU resources and PCIe bus isn't saturated.. for the most part.. so I'd research lookahead impact, as well as where color correction is being processed
And if GPU that busy, maybe for certain titles, consider impact of downscaling and downscale filter being used (vs not Rescaling at main output level) and using default downscale filter

And beware ignoring the warning about recording to MP4 .. my OBS Studio auto remux of a 11GB MKV file to MP4 takes maybe 15 seconds... on lower-end hardware than you have

Castro1477

see LOTS of threads in this forum on issues that can result from having uneven multiples between OBS Studio FPS and monitor refresh rate and game FPS. Like mismatched audio sampling rates .... best to avoid

a common recommendation is that If Recording/Streaming at 60FPS, then set monitor to 60 or 120Hz (or 180, I suppose for those that support such), and cap game FPS to 120
Also, previously ( and I don't know how well resolved it is currently) Windows OS had issues with multiple monitors at different refresh rates

And beware the concept that GPU is at 100% as NVENC is a separate set of chips, so GPU chips being maxed out wouldn't be an issue for NVENC, _presuming_ none of your other settings requiring other GPU resources and PCIe bus isn't saturated.. for the most part.. so I'd research lookahead impact, as well as where color correction is being processed
And if GPU that busy, maybe for certain titles, consider impact of downscaling and downscale filter being used (vs not Rescaling at main output level) and using default downscale filter

And beware ignoring the warning about recording to MP4 .. my OBS Studio auto remux of a 11GB MKV file to MP4 takes maybe 15 seconds... on lower-end hardware than you have
The thing that’s throwing me off about all this is I’ve been freaking just fine for the past 2 years it’s only been the last like month maybe where I started having these issues not sure if it’s a bad update or something but I had zero issues before the only change I’ve made is install 2 new ssd’s one for more games and one just for bill storage neither have anything from my stream on them

rockbottom

So you have a total of (5) NVMe's in that Z790? This is from the owners manual of a ROG Z790 Hero. Might want to fire up GPU-Z if there is an NVMe in the top slot, it's shared.

1715721666659.png

rockbottom

It does but just like the Hero, at a cost of the PCI-e lane running @ x8 instead of x16. Your 4090 is being nerfed....

1715722942920.png

Castro1477

Not sure if it makes difference by my case is the hyte y60 with the riser cable. Can you like explain more what you mean about my gpu? So having the ssd in that top slot is slowing down my gpu that much?

Castro1477

So having an ssd in the top slot is slowing down my graphics card? Damn I thought adding the storage was going to help it not hurt it

rockbottom

Yes, my 3090 gets nerfed running @ x8, the 4090 is even worse. Running a ROG Z690 Extreme I built myself, there is no 980 Pro in my top slot...

Lawrence_SoCal

So having an ssd in the top slot is slowing down my graphics card? Damn I thought adding the storage was going to help it not hurt it
rockbottom is explaining just fine, but I'm guessing you are missing the meaning ??
The Storage, CPU, GPU, etc all connect to the main PCIe bus. By using the top NVMe slot (port), PCIe 'lanes' are taken away from the GPU so it runs at 1/2 normal bandwidth, per the motherboard manual.

Your fix to restore GPU back to x16 performance/bandwidth, presuming you need the internal disk space, is to get either larger SSDs (to your total TBs is same or more, just using less NVMe ports), or get a HDD to start archiving some content onto

where this gets interesting is if I'm reading the above manual correctly, and the top PCIe slot if v5. The 4090 is PCIe v4... however, a quick look indicates that many (all?) 4090s in a PCIe v5 slot can't get v5 x8 lanes and result in same bandwidth as v4 x16, being that card isn't able to 'talk' v5. maybe so future (or special, current ?) iteration/revision of a 4090 would work at full bandwidth in that scenario... ??? but nothing I'd hold my breath for.

so back to the short answer... your motherboard has only so many PCIe lanes. If you use a NVMe M.2 drive beware when that removes PCIe lanes from the adjacent PCIe slot device (GPU in your case). When might you want to leave in that M.2 drive? when you have a really high performance PCIe v5 NVME drive and are actually driving that much disk I/O, AND you don't need the GPU bandwidth