I Can't Capture Vulkan Games / I Can No Longer Hook Vulkan Games (I could but now I can't)

Radrovsky

I usually use OBS for Rainbow Six Siege Vulkan API. But recently, after I installed R6Analyst I can't use game capture and even window capture to capture Rainbow Six Siege gameplay. I instantly uninstall R6Analyst to see if it was the problem. Turns out the problem persisted. My OBS still can't hook to my R6S Vulkan.
Game capture results in black screen, while window capture freezes whenever I'm back (alt-tab) to the game. Using DirectX version of Rainbow Six Siege, however solves the problem. I use OBS 26.1.1 so it SHOULD capture Vulkan games. But now it just stops doing that. I desperately need help. I've tried reinstalling OBS, installing previous version of OBS, changing OBS hardware accelerated options to Power Saving, but no luck. In every uninstall however I don't delete my user settings as I think it doesn't affect anything and if I do delete it, it will be such a huge pain to set everything up from 0.

The problem is, now I can't even use game capture to capture ANY vulkan games now, not even Doom ETERNAL.
In the logs it goes like this..

13:52:48.843: [game-capture: 'GAME CAP'] attempting to hook process: RainbowSix_Vulkan.exe
13:52:48.846: [game-capture: 'GAME CAP'] using helper (compatibility hook)
13:52:48.849: [game-capture: 'GAME CAP'] hook not loaded yet, retrying..
13:52:51.860: [game-capture: 'GAME CAP'] attempting to hook process: RainbowSix_Vulkan.exe
13:52:52.893: [game-capture: 'GAME CAP'] capture stopped
13:52:55.877: [game-capture: 'GAME CAP'] attempting to hook process: RainbowSix_Vulkan.exe
13:52:55.893: [game-capture: 'GAME CAP'] capture stopped
13:52:59.893: [game-capture: 'GAME CAP'] attempting to hook process: RainbowSix_Vulkan.exe
13:52:59.910: [game-capture: 'GAME CAP'] capture stopped

The same happens to DOOM ETERNAL. I don't know any other games that use Vulkan API but I think it will be the same. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 2021-05-03 13-52-08.txt
    20.8 KB · Views: 64

Harold

It was most likely a recent windows update that changed things.

Downgrading OBS won't fix this.

Radrovsky

So I'm assuming all people can't capture vulkan at the moment and not just me? I mean if that's the case then it's relieving for me because there will definitely be an update to fix this. It's frustrating to know if it's just me and there's no fix. Thanks for the info!

Paplet.

I have also met with such a problem when i try to stream Rainbow Six Siege Vulkan,but about 4 months ago that problem didn't exist.
It seems that it's a common problem.

Paplet.

My current windows version is 20H2 but about 4 months ago I guess it was 1909 or 1903.
Maybe return to 1909 can solve this problem.

Harold

It's not the feature edition that we suspect is causing the problem, it's one of the weekly updates as there are many people who have been on 20h2 for several months who only developed the problem in the past two weeks.

Massacher

I just setup my OBS Studio and it also doesn't show the game (Doom Eternal) when I point to it in game capture. I have to use display capture which I'd rather not do. As it shows my desktop and I don't want that to show on stream as it looks unprofessional. I do have a black image I open before I go live but I'd rather not have to do that every time as it'd be better if I didn't have to remember to do it. Sometimes I forget.

Dzmitry

Found a solution.

In game: go to video settings, switch to windowed mode
In OBS: select "Game capture", in window menu to the right select "[Youngblood_x64vk.exe....]"

Dzmitry

Found a solution.

In game: go to video settings, switch to windowed mode
In OBS: select "Game capture", in window menu to the right select "[Youngblood_x64vk.exe....]"