Question / Help How to connect SONY HXR-MC88 to obs settings?

blackbean

So I got Sony HXR-MC88 and I got trouble while connecting to it.
It doesn't have software like EOS Utility for EOS series.
But while I connect via micro usb, it connect but showing folder with EULA text. I think the camera is connect but how I connect it to obs?
I have tried HDMI output in camera to HDMI on computer but nothing show, my thought that HDMI on computer only for output not for input source.

I hope someone can come and help me for church livestreaming

Thanks.

FerretBomb

You will need to buy a capture device, like an Elgato Camlink.

DSLRs and camcorders generally do not work as webcams over USB. The EOS live-preview is extremely low-quality, and still does not act as a webcam (though you can capture the window and crop it down, it will still be poor quality).
You will need to take the HDMI out from your Sony HXR-MC88 and plug it into a capture card to use it with OBS. Be sure to first plug it into a TV before buying a cap card, to check if the HDMI output from the camcorder is 'clean', or if it includes UI elements like battery level, focus, etc which will generally make it unsuitable for use (as they cannot be removed later if present, they are 'baked in' to the video signal).

prdglsn

Hey everybody. Ok I’m having the same issue as BlackBean, however I’m using the same camera with my hdmi out into my Blackmagic ultrastudio device. I have to plug and unplug multiple times before I get a picture. This is too inconsistent considering the camera prior was a cheap lil 250 handheld that worked every time we cut it on. Are there any resolution adjustments I need to make in the camera or in OBS?

Rico_G

No matter what I did, or settings, I could never get the Sony to sync with the Blackmagic Ultrastudio. I gave up. I did however get it to work with the AJA UTAP. However, You MUST have the memory card in for the camera to pass HDMI output. Previously, I could not get it to work, then thought, what if i put in the memory card? and then it worked. Open OBS first then connect the camera to the UTAP, then the USB cable to the utap, then to the computer, in that order.