Question / Help Help! Running Beast PC (I think lol) and OBS keeps dropping frames

GoldenGamer

Hey All

I am new to this. I am trying to record 1080p 60fps gameplay off my Xbox One X with an Elgato HD60 Pro Internal and using OBS. I've been tweaking settings and searching online all day and I can't get OBS to stop dropping frames. The finished product looks terrible while still being HD. Every couple seconds it jerks and skips. The game I'm currently trying to record is Black Ops 4.

Here are my PC specs:

Processor: Intel Hexa Core i7-8700 @ 3.70 GHZ
Ram: 16 GB
System: Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
MoBo: Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
Primary HD: 240 GB SSD
Graphics Card: MSI Nvidia RTX 2080 Super

Here is the link to the log file of my most recent attempt.

https://obsproject.com/logs/knTqQPjNZQsPgag2

I've tried using x264, NVENC, NVENC NEW. I've tried adjusting the bit rate and quality levels, I've tried outputting to a separate HDD...I'm not sure where my problem is. I'm all out.

KapitanKlaps

I have exact same problem but I use xbox app streaming instead of Elgato. I have a $3200 worth PC dedicated at the moment to streaming my Xbox One X. I use Xbox app to stream game to display (works perfectly smooth at 60 fps) and then stream that display via obs. The thing is, as soon as I launch OBS the framerate drops so bad. There's constant stutter and generally, it's unwatchable.

koala

According to the log, there are no lagged or skipped frames within OBS. This points to an issue outside of OBS, i. e. the setup/configuration of capture card, cables, Console.

GoldenGamer

Hello!

I have attached a pic showing the capture settings I was using with that log.

My cables are certainly fine. FYI, the feed still comes thru to my "play" screen without lags or skips...does this rule out the capture card being bad?

I have triple checked my Nvidia drivers. They're up to date. What other drivers should I check for?

Thanks!
Screenshot (4).png

GoldenGamer

Hello!

I have attached a pic showing the capture settings I was using with that log.

My cables are certainly fine. FYI, the feed still comes thru to my "play" screen without lags or skips...does this rule out the capture card being bad?

I have triple checked my Nvidia drivers. They're up to date. What other drivers should I check for?

Thanks!View attachment 47666

Here is another log. I can't upload the video on here unfortunately. I ran it for just a few seconds and it skipped and lagged baaaaad. Right before this test, I downloaded and installed Elgatos driver and rebooted the pc.

https://obsproject.com/logs/wws3bDpUNcyotCtj

koala

How do the video look like if you use a different media player such as VLC? The same, or choppy as well?

GoldenGamer

How do the video look like if you use a different media player such as VLC? The same, or choppy as well?
I tried using VLC (then I uninstalled it), Quicktime, Windows Media Player, Movies and TV. The video would stutter and skip identically on each one.

koala

In this case, it's not only a media player issue. Your second logfile also contains no lags logged by OBS, i. e. it points to an outside issue as well. It's not your encoder settings, and it's not an overloading of your GPU, which are the most common issue for lags.
This still and again points to some issue with your capture card, whatever it may be.

GoldenGamer

I am going to purchase a new card and see if that solves anything. I'll update this thread shortly. Meanwhile, thanks for all the help!

GoldenGamer

Hello all

After trying everything I could think of - I swapped out all my HDMI cables for the "nice" ones that come packaged with the Xbox One X. I assume they're capable of handling 4k and now my recordings are not skipping or stuttering.

The cables I was using before were decent, but not good enough, clearly. I'm only mad it took me this long to figure it out lol. I know someone earlier mentioned cables and I assumed that since my gameplay screen was still smooth, the cables were sufficient. Anyways, thanks to everyone out there!

koala

I mentioned cables in my first post.

Cables are not "nice" or "decent". Cables are simply made according to some specification. You, the user, require cables with some specification by choosing some hardware and setting some video mode. If the cable matches the specification you require, the hardware will work. If the cables don't match, the hardware will not work. So the first step for such an issue is to verify that all hardware formally matches the required specifications. I'm quite sure that the cables that you describe as decent don't formally match the specification required for the video mode you chose.

Usually, cables are labeled or engraved with the specification they adhere to. It's the manufacturer's declaration they work according to that specification. Usage beyond this specification usually don't work.