Question / Help Help - no audio (external) all of a sudden.

beat scientist

Please help..

For for about five years I have been using OBS without even a sniff of a problem, it was so reliable for my needs that in all this time I never saw the need to update...
That was until yesterday, well last week to be exact.

I have a couple of soundcards (Focusrite 8i6 and maudio eight track) and I use windows 10 64bit, and I use OBS to livestream audio to YouTube and other places as well as use it to record offline.

The problem that has arisen is that OBS will no longer see/hear/detect audio that is coming in to my soundcards from external sources... Desktop audio sound is fine it only has a problem with incoming audio.

I have spend 15+ hours watching video and reading up anything that claims to have a 'fix' for this problem and nothing has worked (no exaggeration on the time spent). These supposed fixes have included using alternative ASIO drivers. Downloading dubious ASIO drivers made for OBS (which only caused crashes even when not in use), trying to route audio through DAWs, and so on.

Eventually I decided to update OBS, this never resolved the problem and when I retried all the remedies that did not work with the old version of OBS they did not work with the new version either.

Now I know that there is no problem with my soundcards, nor my ASIO drivers as both worked fine with OBS in the past.
However for some unknown reason they no longer work happily with OBS as they should.

So I have eventually as a last ditch effort resorted to heading to the forum in the hope that someone can tell me what the problem is and how it can be fixed.

Just to clarify OBS has no issue detecting and recording desktop audio such as YouTube videos, and it also sees the soundcard when they are connected to the PC it just does not hear the incoming audio (which it has done in the past so should do again).
I can verify that audio is indeed passing through the soundcard properly because it's levels are visible on the soundcards monitoring utility and I can record that audio in my DAW (reason etc) as well as hear the audio on my headphones.

Really hope someone can help me out with this!

Thanks.