Question / Help H.265/HEVC "An unspecified error occurred while recording."

zimm

Hello,

I have an Intel i5 6600k OC 4.2 GHz and an AMD RX 480. Whenever I try to record in HEVC, a message box pops up saying an error occurred. I'm not sure what to do about this since I would much rather use HEVC/H.265 than H.264 since the quality isn't compromised for space.

My recording settings:
https://gyazo.com/779d50f2772f885933b929fb1b5ba10c

Here's a log from my current recording session where I tried to record and the box displayed:
https://obsproject.com/logs/lWIJNEcYPeohYOIi

Last edited:

TryHD

your settings are crap for recording even if it would have worked, 4000 kbit/s bitrate is to low for anything that moves. Go with CRF. I don't know if a 480 has h265 encoding support, so maybe somebody with a AMD card help you on that.

zimm

your settings are crap for recording even if it would have worked, 4000 kbit/s bitrate is to low for anything that moves. Go with CRF. I don't know if a 480 has h265 encoding support, so maybe somebody with a AMD card help you on that.
The only options I have for recording are
  • Constant QP (CQP)
  • Constant Bitrate (CBR)
  • Variable Bitrate (Peak Constrained) (VBR)
  • Variable Bitrate (Latency Constrained) (VBRLAT)

Also can confirm a 480 has H265 support, link for that proof here:
https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-480
Under "Specifications" and click "+" next to "Supported Rendering Format".

zimm

your settings are crap for recording even if it would have worked, 4000 kbit/s bitrate is to low for anything that moves.
You're now the second person to say that; I did it to see if bumping down the settings to "crap" would help solve the problem, in which it didn't. I would like to hear any helpful IDEAS on how to solve THAT problem, not bitrate.

koala

@zimm: You're answering to some kind of bot that just echoes the first sentence of some previous post. Just ignore it. All posts of this user are such copies, he has nothing to contribute on his own account.

Narcogen

If you want high quality and minimal file size, record large files in x264 and then use Handbrake or something similar to do a re-encode. You're not going to get a good result if you want high quality and very small file size both at once; the best ways of getting quality recordings involve spending more bits, and all the best ways of ensuring small file sizes involve compromising quality.

So record large files first, reencode and then throw away the originals.

zimm

If you want high quality and minimal file size, record large files in x264 and then use Handbrake or something similar to do a re-encode. You're not going to get a good result if you want high quality and very small file size both at once; the best ways of getting quality recordings involve spending more bits, and all the best ways of ensuring small file sizes involve compromising quality.

So record large files first, reencode and then throw away the originals.
I've tried x264 but last time I tried I'm pretty sure it just used too much of cpu even though I have a pretty decent i5.