GPU overload, even with no sources in the scene

grahamdunning

Hi folks,
I've been using OBS for a while on an older Win10 laptop, just upgraded to one with dual GPUs and now it won't really run properly at all.
In task manager my Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 card is running at full pelt even with nothing happening in OBS.

Log file is here https://obsproject.com/logs/niQhAGjlvfShmS76
You can see I'm running 32bit here but had exactly the same problem with 64bit previously (trying 32 just in case it helped)

I'm trying telling it to use the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, which it seems to be doing, but the Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 is showing at 85%-100% at all times, even with nothing whatsoever loaded into the scene.

Any thoughts on this? I've tried running as administrator, 32bit/64bit, to no avail.
It seems a bit better if I run it in a tiny window or reduce the size of the preview screen (GPU then running around 50%) but that's not really a permanent solution.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Graham

dead_rebel

I've been having, what appears to be, the same issues - I see the Intel UHD GPU spike, and at the same time anywhere between 10-50% of frames drop due to render lag, even if the scene is empty.

Music playing stops and stutters, the mouse stutters, video in Chrome stutters.
If OBS isn't running, this doesn't happen.

I've tried updating the UHD Drivers, but that didn't do the trick either.
Oddly, sometimes it doesn't happen for a long period of time but eventually - whether because I restart the PC or randomly - it just starts doing this again.

qhobbes

Use the log analyzer or

dead_rebel

Use the log analyzer or
Thanks for this; I wasn't expecting someone to want to help me - more hoping the OP had figured what worked for them, if anything.

Here's my log: https://obsproject.com/logs/iycsDyQda7087104
It comes and goes, but I definitely see a spike in the Intel UHD GPU whenever the frames drop between 10-40%,

qhobbes

1. The new Windows 10 Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling ("HAGS") added with version 2004 is currently known to cause performance and capture issues with OBS, games and overlay tools. It's a new and experimental feature and we recommend disabling it via this screen or these instructions.
2. Run OBS as admin
3. Having the YUV Color range set to "Full" will cause playback issues in certain browsers and on various video platforms. Shadows, highlights and color will look off. In OBS, go to "Settings -> Advanced" and set "YUV Color Range" back to "Partial".
4. Your log contains no recording or streaming session. Results of this log analysis are limited. Please post a link to a clean log file.
To make a clean log file, please follow these steps:

1) Restart OBS as admin.
2) Start your stream/recording for about 30 seconds. Make sure you replicate any issues as best you can, which means having any games/apps open and captured, etc.
3) Stop your stream/recording.
4) Select Help > Log Files > Upload Current Log File. Send that link via this troubleshooting tool or whichever support chat you are using.

dead_rebel

Thank you so much @qhobbes - your response is very appreciated and I've taken every step you've suggested. I'll observe to see if I still have issues and definitely return to let you know.