Google Chrome Tabs Look Blurry When Recording

Echon

When I record videos, the text in my Google Chrome tabs and my cursor look smudged and blurry. Kind of like that vision you have when you first wake up and everything is foggy and blurry.

Screenshots Provided:

blurry chrome tab.PNG
<<< OBS Recording
VS.
non blurry tabs.PNG
<<< Raw Screenshot

>-LOGS-<

qhobbes

1. Using Windows Update, update Windows 10 to 2004 or 20H2/09 if available per https://obsproject.com/blog/five-simple-tips-for-new-streamers and #2
2.The version of Windows you are running (1909) has a limitation which causes performance issues in hardware accelerated applications (such as games and OBS) if multiple monitors with different refresh rates are present. Your system's monitors have 2 different refresh rates (240 and 75), so you are affected by this limitation.

To fix this issue, we recommend updating to at least the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. Follow these instructions if you're not sure how to update. If you cannot update, set both to the same refresh rate or disconnect a monitor.
3. At least one of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Speakers (Yeti Stereo Microphone): 48000 Hz
VoiceMeeter Output (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO): 192000 Hz
4.To ensure that OBS Studio has the hardware resources it needs for realtime streaming and recording, we recommend disabling the "Game DVR Background Recording" feature via these instructions.
5. Record to MKV or FLV. If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable.

If you require MP4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window or enable Auto remux in the Advanced settings.
6. Multiple Game Capture sources are usually not needed, and can sometimes interfere with each other. You can use the same Game Capture for all your games! If you change games often, try out the hotkey mode, which lets you press a key to select your active game. If you play games in fullscreen, use 'Capture any fullscreen application' mode.
7. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene. Use Window Capture to capture Chrome.

carlmmii

While good advice, not a single one of those directions actually addresses the issue at hand.

The reason your recording looks blurry is due to chroma subsampling. No amount of bitrate is going to fix the issue.

Unfortunately, NVenc as far as I know will only use 4:2:0 color space for h264 encoding. Try setting your color format to I444 in advanced settings, and use x264 as your encoder. Also, use CRF rate control, set at 16 to start (the lower the number, the higher the quality).

Echon

1. Using Windows Update, update Windows 10 to 2004 or 20H2/09 if available per https://obsproject.com/blog/five-simple-tips-for-new-streamers and #2
2.The version of Windows you are running (1909) has a limitation which causes performance issues in hardware accelerated applications (such as games and OBS) if multiple monitors with different refresh rates are present. Your system's monitors have 2 different refresh rates (240 and 75), so you are affected by this limitation.

To fix this issue, we recommend updating to at least the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. Follow these instructions if you're not sure how to update. If you cannot update, set both to the same refresh rate or disconnect a monitor.
3. At least one of your audio devices has a sample rate that doesn't match the rest. This can result in audio drift over time or sound distortion. Check your audio devices in Windows settings (both Playback and Recording) and ensure the Default Format (under Advanced) is consistent. 48000 Hz is recommended.
OBS Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Speakers (Yeti Stereo Microphone): 48000 Hz
VoiceMeeter Output (VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO): 192000 Hz
4.To ensure that OBS Studio has the hardware resources it needs for realtime streaming and recording, we recommend disabling the "Game DVR Background Recording" feature via these instructions.
5. Record to MKV or FLV. If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable.

If you require MP4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window or enable Auto remux in the Advanced settings.
6. Multiple Game Capture sources are usually not needed, and can sometimes interfere with each other. You can use the same Game Capture for all your games! If you change games often, try out the hotkey mode, which lets you press a key to select your active game. If you play games in fullscreen, use 'Capture any fullscreen application' mode.
7. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene. Use Window Capture to capture Chrome.
I've updated Windows, and everything still looks the same.

Echon

While good advice, not a single one of those directions actually addresses the issue at hand.

The reason your recording looks blurry is due to chroma subsampling. No amount of bitrate is going to fix the issue.

Unfortunately, NVenc as far as I know will only use 4:2:0 color space for h264 encoding. Try setting your color format to I444 in advanced settings, and use x264 as your encoder. Also, use CRF rate control, set at 16 to start (the lower the number, the higher the quality).
When I try recording, the files come back up as corrupt or they are just black and never move.