GOOD INTERNET SPEEDS BAD BIT RATE

onlygallo1

Hello, i recently started experiencing problems while streaming (twitch) although i have not downloading anything to my pc, made changes in obs, or had any network changes happen. My upload speeds are about 100 down and 50 up which from the research i have done is more than enough to be able to stream in good high quality. What's happening is when i start my stream, instantly the bit rate drops and i start dropping frames (50-70%). I tried to lower the quality settings of the stream but it looks like im streaming off a potato. My pc isnt really under any stress (Specs: ryzen 5 3600, geforce rtx 3060, 32 gb ram) so i dont understand where the issue is. Twitch is my main source of income right now and i need to get this problem resolved as soon as i can! Please help!!!

onlygallo1

So I read a forum that said to try and change your streaming platform to see if its your connection that is the problem, and i changed to youtube and it had no problem at all streaming to youtube. I could hold and maintain 5000 bit rate.

Synergist

Are you using a specific Twitch ingest endpoint with a custom RTMP profile or are you using the default oauth/stream key setup? What server has it decided is optimal?

Run some tests and see if you get frame drops or packet loss to some other servers, including ones which are not geographically closest to you. It may be ISP routing or regional internet contention affecting your ingest stream if YouTube RTMP is OK with otherwise identical configuration. If you have a log you can supply from a recent stream with problems that's always useful.

onlygallo1

Are you using a specific Twitch ingest endpoint with a custom RTMP profile or are you using the default oauth/stream key setup? What server has it decided is optimal?

Run some tests and see if you get frame drops or packet loss to some other servers, including ones which are not geographically closest to you. It may be ISP routing or regional internet contention affecting your ingest stream if YouTube RTMP is OK with otherwise identical configuration. If you have a log you can supply from a recent stream with problems that's always useful.
I ran the twitch bandwith test to see which would be best for streaming on, they all were relative around 2000kbps some lower obviously the best i got was 2300. I was previously using the default server choice and have been using that during my tests, i have also tried a couple close points but nothing has fixed it.

onlygallo1

im new to all the problems as well, not sure how to pull up a log.

Synergist

im new to all the problems as well, not sure how to pull up a log.

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/please-post-a-log-with-your-issue-heres-how.23074/ tells you how (see the OBS Help menu).

if you reckon you have 50 Mbit/sec up but can only stream at 2 Mbit/sec, something's possibly up with your PC, firewall, router or internet connection. What do fast.com, speedtest.net and packetlosstest.com report, in particular for upload? Are you via ethernet cable or WiFi?

onlygallo1

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/please-post-a-log-with-your-issue-heres-how.23074/ tells you how (see the OBS Help menu).

if you reckon you have 50 Mbit/sec up but can only stream at 2 Mbit/sec, something's possibly up with your PC, firewall, router or internet connection. What do fast.com, speedtest.net and packetlosstest.com report, in particular for upload? Are you via ethernet cable or WiFi?
i am connected through ethernet.
fast.com- 94 mbps download
speedtest - 94.75mbps download 52.79 upload
packetlosstest.com - 0.7% packet loss on default settings.

Last edited:

Synergist

I'd run the packet loss tests a few times to get an average, I'd also try the second test at https://devicetests.com/packet-loss-test to compare its results (obviously you're reliant on the quality of the connection between their two servers for testing).

If you try to stream at 6 Mbit/sec, in the OBS Stats window, are you seeing constant dropped frames? Are you confident that your encoder settings are still fine and it's not GPU Overload? Uploading an OBS log and then running it through the OBS Log Analyzer is a good way to eliminate any unnoticed issues on the GPU encoder side or OBS scene / source problems.

Have you done the usual resets of modem/router recently?

onlygallo1

I'd run the packet loss tests a few times to get an average, I'd also try the second test at https://devicetests.com/packet-loss-test to compare its results (obviously you're reliant on the quality of the connection between their two servers for testing).

If you try to stream at 6 Mbit/sec, in the OBS Stats window, are you seeing constant dropped frames? Are you confident that your encoder settings are still fine and it's not GPU Overload? Uploading an OBS log and then running it through the OBS Log Analyzer is a good way to eliminate any unnoticed issues on the GPU encoder side or OBS scene / source problems.

Have you done the usual resets of modem/router recently?
No matter what mbps i run it at i recieve about an average of 60-70% dropped frames. Unless i go around 2300-2500 kbps then it is fine but the quality isnt good enough and my viewers are having a hard time seeing gameplay. I’ve reset my router multiple times as well. I monitored my gpu and cpu both while tunning the stream and both never went higher than 30-40% usage

onlygallo1

No matter what mbps i run it at i recieve about an average of 60-70% dropped frames. Unless i go around 2300-2500 kbps then it is fine but the quality isnt good enough and my viewers are having a hard time seeing gameplay. I’ve reset my router multiple times as well. I monitored my gpu and cpu both while tunning the stream and both never went higher than 30-40% usage
Keep in mind i had previously been streaming 5000kbps and the exact same settings everyday for the last 2 months since i got my pc with no problem. Nothing was changed on my pc. Now my internet speeds dont show a change either which isn’t making sense. Also the fact i can stream to youtube and not twitch something is definitely off. But i’ve tried every option in this forum almost and so far nothing has worked.

Synergist

Keep in mind i had previously been streaming 5000kbps and the exact same settings everyday for the last 2 months since i got my pc with no problem. Nothing was changed on my pc. Now my internet speeds dont show a change either which isn’t making sense. Also the fact i can stream to youtube and not twitch something is definitely off. But i’ve tried every option in this forum almost and so far nothing has worked.

Out of curiosity have you contacted Twitch support to investigate why performance to their ingest servers is so poor? They may be able to see more useful details about the state of your streams.

If you've not restarted any of your network equipment since the problems began, I would definitely do so. If you run any network optimizer or enhancer software or drivers, disable anything which might be affecting or managing your network connection (AORUS gaming optimizers, etc).

Have you asked your ISP whether there's any issues affecting network connectivity to Twitch or might be impacting streaming services? Again they may know something but may not have disclosed it to customers. If you're on a cable service I would also ask if they can perform any diagnostics on your home router, if it's one they've supplied, to see if any errors have been logged or the unit is not functioning correctly.

PaiSand

Please check the analizer

For streaming to Twitch use 30fps or 60fps.

Also, to test your connection against Twitch it's better to use

koala

According to your log, you have a Gigabit network adapter your PC, but you are only connected with 100 mbit to your router. If your router has gigabit ports, you should connect with 1 GBit. Check your LAN cabling.
OBS reports dropped frames due to connection stalls for every bitrate you define, even with a crawling 2150 kbit, so it's probably not a real bandwidth issue but a hardware issue with bad cabling or bad basic PC or router configuration in general.
See here: https://obsproject.com/wiki/Dropped-Frames-and-General-Connection-Issues
Especially the parts "software related" and "hardware related".

onlygallo1

I have tried everything in the recommended none of this worked. My next step was to call my ISP and have them replace the modem we have. If this fixes i will let you all know. Thank you for trying to help.

onlygallo1

I replaced my ethernet cable, and did another test, andd here is the results.. still having the fram drop issue with obs though
Desktop Screenshot 2022.04.12 - 10.46.35.67.png

Synergist

Run an OBS log from a problematic session through the log analyzer and look for things like GPU overload. If you're happy your connection is good, you may have to adjust your scene complexity or change some of the NVENC settings.

onlygallo1

Run an OBS log from a problematic session through the log analyzer and look for things like GPU overload. If you're happy your connection is good, you may have to adjust your scene complexity or change some of the NVENC settings.
So i got the new modem installed, still dropping frames and low bit rate, even though i have good internet. Going to have my pc optimized tomorrow maybe they can find the issue..

d0wsha

Did you ever solved this? I have the same issue, my ISP changed my modem after calling them my upload is like not stable, but whenever i do an upload stress stest its stable and not dropping. In OBS no skipped/dropped frames.. I managed to stabilize OBS bitrate drop, but whenever i start stream i get ping spikes in CS:GO, even with low settings, low bitrate.. No matter its 2000kbps or 6000kpbs.. Random ping spikes, like every 10 seconds. I'll try to go back to Windows 10 today and update you guys.. It smells like something is not okay with W11 and OBS, like it's throttling my upload or kinda firewall problems. I have super connection to twitch server 9000 - 10000+kpbs and 90+ quality to servers in Europe. Idk what's happening, gonna see today. (game mode and HAGP turned off, same problem happens).

R5 5600x, 3060, 32gb rams, b550m aorus elite (didn't installed their drivers, full clean win11) no overclocking, temps are 60 with AIO.