FYI: macOS Virtual Cam on OBS 26.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyMerry

Step 5 folder does not exist?!
Hey mondocongo, A user above commented on creating the folder themselves, [CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/] "DAL" or even "Plugin-Ins/DAL" then going through the entire process. I went through it about 4 times, and the 4th time it worked! Good luck!
-Tommy

elenbahr

Hi all. My Facebook Live audio and video don't sync and I'm not able to access the built in camera. I can use the FaceTime camera but it is since BigSur update that the sync doesn't happen. Apple Support sent me to this forum. I'm not a developer so am hoping someone can help me figure out what to do. I read this thread (it's where Apple sent me) but I don't know which .json files to delete. I don't have anything that says untitled.json. Do I just delete all .json files?
And then do I need to reinstall something?
I'm sorry to bug you all with this. Apple sent me to instructions I don't understand. Very frustrating.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 8.38.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 8.38.25 AM.png
    152.9 KB · Views: 390

georgmierau

I’m running OBS 26.1.2 on macOS 11.2.3 and the official Discord client 0.0.262 doesn’t recognize the Virtual Cam.
I’ve deleted obs-mac-virtualcam.plugin (step 3), but there is no folder named obs-mac-virtualcam (step 5).

dgatwood

( source : https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/issues/590 )

FIX INSTRUCTIONS
To fix this issue you'll need to download the OBS-NDI plugin and Newtek's NDI Studio Monitor program (https://ndi.tv/tools/).

You'll need to move the libndi.4.dylib file from /Applications/NewTek NDI Video Monitor.app/Contents/Frameworks TO /usr/local/lib/. You may need to hold down the "cmd" key while dragging this file so that it moves the file instead of creating an alias. Then restart your computer and open OBS. You should now see the NDI plugin in the source list.

If you are having troubles finding the correct folders just use the "Go To Folder" option in your Finder Window and search for the directories I posted above.

Good Luck!

That's bizarre. Installing that library in /usr/local/lib just fixed my ability to use NDI Virtual Input with Chrome and Safari on my work laptop. Did somebody get the rpath wrong in some critical binary? :-/

ssolomon

Frustrating: sometimes it works (in fact only twice), most doesn't. Always the same: problems in teams (everything looks just ok, but other participants don't get the video feed), and all good for the rest (zoom, web, ...).

Finally I solved the problem installing NDI (NDI runtime and NDI virtual input) and the OBS ndi plugin (I had to remove code signature from OBS with xcode to avoid crashing). Then, activate obs output to ndi (in the tools menu), select obs input from ndi, and then in Teams I can now select the NDI virtual camera. All works fine now.

An alternative I've found is using snap camera: in snap settings, select the obs virtual camera as input, use no filters, and in teams select snap virtual camera as input. Although it also works, and more straightforwardly (no obs plugins, no ndi installation in the system), looks like snap camera uses lots of resources compared to NDI, which is more efficient.

HTH!

I was having the same issues. I was on the latest OBS version and when using the built-in virtual camera it would just freeze in Teams. I tried to use the NDI option but the video and audio were terribly out of sync. I ended up just switching to Ecamm Live (paying the monthly cost of pro version) and the virtual camera into Teams of Zoom works flawlessly and the audio/video is perfectly synched. My issue is that the chroma key setting in Ecamm are limited to a green/blue toggle and a “fade” slider to control the effect. I really prefer the fine tuning capabilities on OBS but if the virtual camera freezes it doesn’t matter.

Anyway… wanted to complain and agree with your post. Would love to see this fixed to get the best of both worlds.

Sharadise

Hello,

The need has arisen for me to use OBS's virtual camera function for a voice call, while also using OBS to livestream a different scene at the same time (from the same computer).

Would I need to run two instances of OBS at the same time? Is this possible on macOS?
Or is there a better way of solving this?

Many thanks.

vaterwelten

[SOLVED] Apple M1 Silicon OBS 27.x Virtual Cam not shown / not clickable / not executable

For months now I've been trying to solve the problem with the virtual camera that isn't working. So far without success.

When I updated to OBS 27.x, the virtual camera stopped working. I couldn't click it either. Maybe you have the same problem and have to work with OBS 26.0.2 and the Virtual Camera Plugin in Rosetta on M1 like me?

This workaround helped me and I am very happy to finally be able to use the full power of the M1 processor

It took the following steps:

1. Create a new account on your Mac
2. Start OBS 27.x on this new account
3. Place your camera on the scene
4. Start the virtual camera (should work now)
5. Exit the virtual camera
6. Switch back to your first account.
7. Start OBS 27.x
8. Activate the virtual camera (should work now).

Cheers, Heiner

Joe Garoutte

[SOLVED] Apple M1 Silicon OBS 27.x Virtual Cam not shown / not clickable / not executable

For months now I've been trying to solve the problem with the virtual camera that isn't working. So far without success.

When I updated to OBS 27.x, the virtual camera stopped working. I couldn't click it either. Maybe you have the same problem and have to work with OBS 26.0.2 and the Virtual Camera Plugin in Rosetta on M1 like me?

This workaround helped me and I am very happy to finally be able to use the full power of the M1 processor

7. Start OBS 27.x

Cheers, Heiner
I can't thank you enough for this simple, albeit convoluted, fix. I am so grateful. Thank you.

mgw

Frustrating: sometimes it works (in fact only twice), most doesn't. Always the same: problems in teams (everything looks just ok, but other participants don't get the video feed), and all good for the rest (zoom, web, ...).

Finally I solved the problem installing NDI (NDI runtime and NDI virtual input) and the OBS ndi plugin (I had to remove code signature from OBS with xcode to avoid crashing). Then, activate obs output to ndi (in the tools menu), select obs input from ndi, and then in Teams I can now select the NDI virtual camera. All works fine now.

An alternative I've found is using snap camera: in snap settings, select the obs virtual camera as input, use no filters, and in teams select snap virtual camera as input. Although it also works, and more straightforwardly (no obs plugins, no ndi installation in the system), looks like snap camera uses lots of resources compared to NDI, which is more efficient.

HTH!
Hi, How did you remove code signing on OBS? That seems like a good thing to do.

mgw

7. Start OBS 27.x

Cheers, Heiner
Hi All, this also worked for me on OBS 27.1.x with MacOS Catalina. My symptoms where that if I had a USB camera plugged in, and OBS Virtual Cam running, apps (including chrome) wouldn't recognize either camera for selection, or if selected they wouldn't work. After this procedure, both my USB Cam and the OBS Virtual Cam show up and both can be selected and work. One thing to note, when I logged into the new user and ran OBS, it insisted that I download and install the NDI package, which I did as the new user. Danke Heiner!

linnik

My MacBook program won't start.
I installed it 3 times and removed it.
By setting version 26.1.2
and 27.1.3
Macos Monterey version 12.0.1
Overloaded the MacBook.
just doesn't start
and it is said - the program does not respond https://prnt.sc/2156v44

How do I start the program?

erossound

Hello all! Discord is not recognizing Obs virtual cam, any tips?

I'm currently running OBS 27.1.3
Discord .264
MacOS Montery 12.01 M1 Chip

I've followed the steps 1-5 and no luck.

Note that in OBS Studio v26.1 on macOS, if you already have the original version of the virtual camera plugin from johnboiles, you may need to uninstall it first before using the built-in version of the plugin:

Make sure OBS is closed, and then do the following:
  1. Open a new Finder window

2. Hit "CMD+SHIFT+G", then enter /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/

3. Delete the file named obs-mac-virtualcam.plugin - you might be asked for your password to confirm the deletion

4. Hit "CMD+SHIFT+G" again, now enter /Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins

5. Delete the folder named obs-mac-virtualcam - again, you might be asked for your password
Now you are set to use OBS' built-in virtual camera plugin
Hi Fenrir, Thank You for posting this possible fix, but it didn't help me unfortunately. I was wondering if it has anything to do with disabling SIP. I briefly read the crash report that goes to Apple and it said that "sip" was enabled. Thanks in advance!

7. Start OBS 27.x

Cheers, Heiner
Hi Heiner, I created a new account and installed a fresh copy of OBS. The Virtual Camera works, but when I went back to my original account the Virtual Camera did not. You did give me something to going on that it's got to be a software conflict somewhere. Hopefully I'll find it sooner than later. Thanks!

Hi Heiner, I created a new account and installed a fresh copy of OBS. The Virtual Camera works, but when I went back to my original account the Virtual Camera did not. You did give me something to going on that it's got to be a software conflict somewhere. Hopefully I'll find it sooner than later. Thanks!
UPDATE: I went to my new login account and brought a copy of the contents of the "scene folder" that was made in scene collections by Exeldro. They are .json files found in scenes within the OBS folder. I wanted to know if I delete everything then install a fresh copy of OBS if I would lose my work and I didn't. I just have to keep those scene backups close by and import them back! This is great, because I want to use OBS for lessons via zoom. If the Virtual Camera isn't working then it can't go through zoom. It's probably the only free way that I can do on-line lessons. Thanks for suggesting to try creating a new account/login screen. Now I can start off fresh and not worry about losing anything.

UPDATE: I went to my new login account and brought a copy of the contents of the "scene folder" that was made in scene collections by Exeldro. They are .json files found in scenes within the OBS folder. I wanted to know if I delete everything then install a fresh copy of OBS if I would lose my work and I didn't. I just have to keep those scene backups close by and import them back! This is great, because I want to use OBS for lessons via zoom. If the Virtual Camera isn't working then it can't go through zoom. It's probably the only free way that I can do on-line lessons. Thanks for suggesting to try creating a new account/login screen. Now I can start off fresh and not worry about losing anything.
2nd update: It didn't work anymore, so I made a backup of the scenes and took out that OBS-Studio folder as was suggested by that youtube video. I made a copy of it first. After I installed a fresh copy of the entire OBS app the Virtual Camera works. However, when I tried to reinstall those scene files from the backup it would not allow Virtual Camera to work again. I suspect it was a software conflict somewhere? Good luck!

LeRoyh

I have the same issue. removed the plugins and restarted and asked for password but still not seeing OBS virtual cam in zoom.

14:25:42.416: Rosetta translation used: true
14:25:42.416: CPU Name: Apple M1
14:25:42.416: CPU Speed: 2400MHz
14:25:42.416: Physical Cores: 8, Logical Cores: 8
14:25:42.416: Physical Memory: 8192MB Total
14:25:42.416: OS Name: Mac OS X
14:25:42.416: OS Version: Version 12.2.1 (Build 21D62)
14:25:42.416: Kernel Version: 21.3.0
14:25:42.448: hotkeys-cocoa: Using layout 'com.apple.keylayout.US'
14:25:42.448: Current Date/Time: 2022-03-06, 14:25:42
14:25:42.448: Browser Hardware Acceleration: true
14:25:42.448: Qt Version: 5.15.2 (runtime), 5.15.2 (compiled)
14:25:42.448: Portable mode: false
14:25:42.562: OBS 27.2.2 (mac)

Attachments

• 2022-03-06 14-25-42.txt
    14.9 KB · Views: 88

dariusp

Hi,

I am running OBS v27.2.2 on a Mac that is slightly restricted by my work's IT dept.

Everything seems to be running fine and I can see the virtual camera in Zoom and Teams however it does not appear in Google Meet.

I tried following these instruction but while there is a obs-mac-virtualcam.plugin in /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/ there is no obs-studio directory in /Library/Application Support. There is an obs-studio directory in ~/Library/Application Support but that does not have a plugins directory, only a plugin_config dir.

Any guidance on how I can get the virtual camera to appear in Google Meet?

Thanks

Darius

DRMDJ

7. Start OBS 27.x

Cheers, Heiner
thanks that worked for me

Status
Not open for further replies.