FYI: macOS Virtual Cam on OBS 26.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reneke

On macOS BigSur I can't get the Virtual camera to work at all. On Catalina it works in QuickTime, but sadly not in Teams.

MiKaCe

Hey guys, I had the same issue, I had to erase OBS completely, install the version 26 again and wait until the program advice again for the new update to 26.1, then I installed it and everything worked fine. Also if you install the 26.1 directly it WILL NOT WORK, it didn't open for me, it was sending me an error, thats why I errased the OBS and installed again the old version.
Hope it works for you....

ArthurV

Thanks for your advice. I tried removing 26.1 and install 26 and then auto update to 26.1. No difference Virtual Camera works fine on Zoom but not on TEAMS....
It's frustrating...I need virtual camera from OBS to work with Teams beginning of Januari!.......

Phoenixfeuer

I can confirm the same issue on my MacBook Pro with the new M1 Processor. The Virtual Camera is not available on Teams, or TeamViewer. I tried to go back to Version 26.0.2 but sadly the Mac Virtual CAM Plugin is not available at Git-Hub any longer :(Looks like I need to go back to my Windows System...

hey everyone, glad I'm not going crazy and others see this same issue...I'm on mac OS Big Sur 11.1 with a fresh install of OBS 26.1.0 (mac) and can only get "Start Virtual Camera" to work with zoom (which I'm trying to get away from) and can't get it to work with Discord at all. Would love to hear of any solutions.

Gordon D

What worked for me on Skype, with both preview and real video chat, was deleting the code signing on Skype. This was already posted by OliFrieda earlier, but I think people will appreciate the reason why this works. I'll also repost the commands posted by OliFrieda for your convenience.

I came to this after following a link in other discussions about how various apps were disabling virtual cameras through application restrictions. It turns out that hardened applications can tell the OS that they only want to use libraries signed by Apple, or the same developer. This was stopping the obs virtual camera working.
Deleting the signature from Skype meant that this extra level of security was disabled allowing the obs virtual camera to work.

Should you delete the code signature from Skype. Well, this is up to you. The code signature is providing several security benefits, but on their own, you're not opening up a big hole in your security, and few attackers will look to exploit an unsigned instance of Skype, because it is so rare.

From OliFrieda ( Skype only, see Oli's post for the rest)

I removed the signature from Skype and Teams. Now the preview works, but no output through the network. No one can see my video.

Bash:
# everything executed with sudo

codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper (Renderer).app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper (GPU).app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper (Plugin).app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper.app"

ArthurV

YES! 26.1 with virtual camera works with Teams. However its not simple. I asked a Mac programmer to do it for me. So if you, just as I, are not experienced to use the terminal mode ask some to do it for you.

Bash:

codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper (Renderer).app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper (GPU).app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper (Plugin).app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Frameworks/Skype Helper.app"

You also have to remove the 'Microsoft Keys identities cash' in keychain access app.

Now virtual camera with 26.1 works with Teams!

studiogirl005

hey everyone, i'm really thankful for your advices. I had the same problems, as the virtual camera did not work on either Zoom nor Skype or Hangouts. So I followed the advice and deleted and reinstalled everything, now it is working just fine :) i was already getting frustrated, so thank you all for your input!

Artbat

I removed code signing for Teams using those console commands and deleting microsoft keychain cache, as described, with an intel i5 MacBook Pro, Big Sur & OBS 26.1 and... IT WORKS!!

But I have to ask now: ¿what commands would be necessary for Google Meet within Safari?

Bash:
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper.app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper (GPU).app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper (Plugin).app"
codesign --remove-signature "/Applications/Microsoft Teams.app/Contents/Frameworks/Microsoft Teams Helper (Renderer).app"

Thanks in advance!!

storkinsj

So ... this is a slightly scary thread like so many I have seen. Security blocks something from working because something was misconfigured, then we remove security completely. I am guessing that when we launch these applications now we have to go through one extra hoop.

I would really like to get this fixed on the OBS side. My hope is that we are slightly wrong here, and that the problem is that the code is not signed "at all" (instead of not signed by apple or the same developer as the application). That seems like such an arbitrarily stupid decision on a platform that support plugins and frameworks of several kinds that work across a wide variety of applications.

sixninewonder

The NDI virtual input isn't working. I used to use it on Zoom. Will there be an update that allows this to work on a M1 and or Big Sur?

yakafm

The NDI virtual input isn't working. I used to use it on Zoom. Will there be an update that allows this to work on a M1 and or Big Sur?

( source : https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/issues/590 )

FIX INSTRUCTIONS
To fix this issue you'll need to download the OBS-NDI plugin and Newtek's NDI Studio Monitor program (https://ndi.tv/tools/).

You'll need to move the libndi.4.dylib file from /Applications/NewTek NDI Video Monitor.app/Contents/Frameworks TO /usr/local/lib/. You may need to hold down the "cmd" key while dragging this file so that it moves the file instead of creating an alias. Then restart your computer and open OBS. You should now see the NDI plugin in the source list.

If you are having troubles finding the correct folders just use the "Go To Folder" option in your Finder Window and search for the directories I posted above.

Good Luck!

sixninewonder

( source : https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/issues/590 )

FIX INSTRUCTIONS
To fix this issue you'll need to download the OBS-NDI plugin and Newtek's NDI Studio Monitor program (https://ndi.tv/tools/).

You'll need to move the libndi.4.dylib file from /Applications/NewTek NDI Video Monitor.app/Contents/Frameworks TO /usr/local/lib/. You may need to hold down the "cmd" key while dragging this file so that it moves the file instead of creating an alias. Then restart your computer and open OBS. You should now see the NDI plugin in the source list.

If you are having troubles finding the correct folders just use the "Go To Folder" option in your Finder Window and search for the directories I posted above.

Good Luck!

The problem I have is getting OBS to have the option in tools to select NDI output settings.

slackermind

hi folks, just letting you all know 26.1.2 Virtual Camera also doesn't work on OS 10.14.6 Mojave. It produces some very interesting video patterns in Firefox, but that's about it. I am now trying to deprecate to 26.0.2 + the OG plugin which worked just fine... and now will no longer work (just tried that). I am now unable to stream my usual show... what a clusterf*. Any word on this being actually fixed?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 9.13.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 9.13.13 PM.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 98

slackermind

Another quick update. Deleted all OBS, reinstalled 26.0.2 and updated in-app to 26.1.2. Now the Virtual Cam is recognized in Streamyard / Firefox but seems to be "zoomed in" on the 1/3rd the 720p output canvas. Going to try to deprecate again and use the plugin.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 9.36.48 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 9.36.48 PM.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 102

slackermind

Well folks, I'm now left with no working solutions whatsoever. Wasted two hours now & unable to stream. Sorely disappointed with this update which has left all versions non-functional. Evidently 26.1.2 must install some code somewhere about the cam, because even after deprecating to 26.0.2 and reinstalling Virtual Cam, it still doesn't work, and yes I've restarted multiple times.

Any help appreciated. I need this to work as I go back to teaching online on Friday.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 10.01.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 10.01.46 PM.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 95

slackermind

Finally got it working.

Tried 26.0.2 + VC again. No dice. Uninstalled Virtual Cam.

This time upgraded to 26.1 from Github — NOT 26.1.2.

Works.

I'm not upgrading for awhile now, lol.

Reneke

I can confirm Virtual Camera is working with my MacBook Pro M1, BigSur and OBS 26.1.2 in Teams.
However, you do have to remove the code signing from Teams as described above. Not a problem for me, but it shouldn't be necessary.
Another challenge for the developers ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.