Resource icon

All Versions Full vs Partial Color Ranges EXPLAINED for Streaming

EposVox

EposVox submitted a new resource:

Full vs Partial Color Ranges EXPLAINED for Streaming - Stop streaming washed out/overly-contrasty gameplay!

A subject of understandable confusion when it comes to streaming and content creation - especially with game consoles - is RGB Color Range settings. This is one of those things that you may have frustrations with even if you don’t know what I’m talking about. If you’ve had overly-punchy and dark video captures, unsaturated or washed out captures, or just generally want to know what this setting is - this post is for you.
View attachment 58229

So what is the RGB Color...

Read more about this resource...

indolering

As this post is the top google result when searching for OBS color range explanations, I thought I would add a note about washed out/desaturated screen captures. I was getting washed out colors from a screen capture on Windows 10 and thought it might be the color settings. However, when fiddling with the color range didn't fix the problem, I adjusted the source's capture method from "DXGI Desktop Duplication" to "Windows 10 (1903 and up)" - which resulted in proper color values.

Youda008

The question is: How do i know which color range is used by the game i'm trying to record? Or is it a matter of a graphics driver? I don't use any capture card or any other specialized hardware, i just record the fullscreen of a game using OBS.