Frames drop every 2 seconds

simonits

Hello. On 17th September I noticed my Twitch VOD and the local recordings done on OBS 27.0.1 (64 bit) were dropping frames roughly every 2 seconds or so. At first they were very minor, but in another stream they became much more apparent (as can be seen here https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1153709989?t=0h19m55s). I tried different games and the issue persisted. Then I realized it was happening when using game capture. Window or monitor capture didn't have it, but they're obviously worse for streaming and recording a game so they're only a temporary band-aid. I haven't changed any setting recently except tried using different Twitch servers. I start noticing it about 1h 16m in to the vod (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1159447662?t=1h16m40s) but it gets worse later. I've attached the log file.

Attachments

• 2021-09-26 05-08-11.txt
    69.8 KB · Views: 19

Lawrence_SoCal

Take a look at your own log. Your first recording session looked ok
05:17:04.291: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 1 (0.0%)
Most (all?) of the others show rendering lag in the 5% range

You are using a CPU based encoder on a 5 generation old CPU (next month, 6 generation old) trying to do real-time video encoding is VERY computationally demanding. I recommend monitoring hardware resource (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc) utilization [for ex. using Task manager’s Performance tab and/or Resource Monitor] to see if your system is being maxed out with your settings. My suspicion, is that you were fine recording, and now aren't. Right? if yes, then you might be running a new update or process in the background consuming (more) CPU cycles than before. That could be OS, OBS, plugin, or other (games themselves). Optimizing your OS for an under-powered system would be a place to start (if not already done). Is there a new or updated OBS plug-in? Most folks don't do hardware resource utilization monitoring. If you also did not, you may have been on the edge before and an update has changed CPU utilization just enough to push your system beyond its capabilities

Then again, I'm not a gamer, so maybe someone else will see something from such a perspective and provide more targeted advice

Last edited:

simonits

Thank you for the reply. I updated my Nvidia drivers and changed my local recording to the stream encoder settings and one of those fixed the issue. As for optimization, I usually kill off some processes that idle in the background and use a "gaming mode" setting on my antivirus to prevent scanning while streaming. Still weird that it happened in the first place but I'm happy now.