Question / Help Frame rate drops once i stream/record

Juzzy

Right so i've had this issue in the past with fornite, which didn't get resolved. And now I'm experiencing it AGAIN with Black Ops 4.

When ever i few my display though obs, it shows 60 fps flat. But, once i proceed to stream/record my gameplay, it suddenly drops, drastically. Is someone able to help me out with this one?

This is my most recent Log file https://obsproject.com/logs/MzprWlkpaJhS-aCe

Juzzy

Not at all, game runs fine, its just through obs. if i don't stream, it's fine, as soon as i do, it'll drop drastically

BK-Morpheus

The GPU priorization of Windows will prioritize your game, therefore it's not the game that is reducing FPS, it's the rendering process of OBS that also uses your GPU and that is crippled by the high GPU load of your game.

Juzzy

So limiting my fps in game could potentionally fix my problem? Ive tried both x254 and nvenc264 encoders, would thst have anything to do with it?

BK-Morpheus

The encoder has nothing to do with the rendering, so switching between x264 and NVENC will not solve the problem, but limiting the games framerate should fix it.

Juzzy

Lowered all settings to low and still experiencing this issue. I have a gtx 1070, would that impact my experience?

BK-Morpheus

Have you just lowered the settings or did you also set for example 60fps limit ingame? You need to reduce the GPU load, but without an fps cap, lowering the details ingame will just push more fps, while still maxing out the GPU load.

Juzzy

Yeah i dropped my settings to low and capped my fps at 60. I also uninstalled and reinstalled obs aswell to see if it would resolve the issue but it didnt. Could it possibly be my gpu thats the issue?

Juzzy

I feel like it could possibly be an optimisation issue with my pc its self. Becaause even on low settings and capped fps i still receive it. The games i play display how many Mgb of ddr5 memory I'd be using in the settings to run and with them settings it displays just over 1/4 of total memory used

Vokun Plays

I've been having this same problem with almost all of my games taking up all of my GPU unless I cap the frame rate and I have two Gigabyte 1080's and a threadripper 1920x and 32mb of RAM. Never had the issue before hand either. Could play games at high frames and record at whatever quality setting without it doing anything like this.

Peterson

I have the same problem, i lost 10 - 15 fps in game and a lot of lag when record/stream, plus, when i record whit NVIDIA SHARE its lag free i dont know what to do anymore

Narcogen

Nvidia captures frames directly from the card without additional rendering because it doesn't have the capability for adding arbitrary overlays and additional sources.

OBS does, meaning it needs to render frames prior to encoding. To do that it needs GPU resources. If you let your game max out the GPU, OBS will not be able to work.

If you need to do local recordings at the maximum framerate your game can run at, OBS cannot do that. OBS needs GPU overhead in order to work because of the additional features it enables. If you don't need them, you will be better off with ShadowPlay. If you do, you need to cap your in-game framerate.

CraftIsHappy

Play your game in small screen and make obs capture the game only. Run obs as an administartor. Turn game mode on. Lower the bitrate. I've spent almost a year on perfecting my obs settings. Maybe experimenting will help.

neovoid

i have the same problem but the weird thing is when i record with Relive its smooth af even when i ran my game to the max maybe its a compatibility issue with my pc