Filters (skin, face, voice?) for livestreams and post-production?

Tobias Claren

Hello.

I am interested in what there is outside of Instagram etc. for possibilities of filters for face etc. and possibly voice (are there realistic voice changers?).
Even though looks and clothes are unimportant to me privatley, and I possibly spend much less than 95% of the population on clothes (replacement only if defective, no "fashion"), never go to the hairdresser (cut my own hair.... a wig just for the videos would be a option ;-) ), the fact is, the overall impression has an impact on success.
Even if I want to make videos on political and social issues....

This is an OBS forum, so for streaming.
I am also interested in streaming with OBS with filters, but would also like information for face/body and voice filters in video editing.

What are the current options both live and in post production?

koala

Unfortunately, I don't know of any filter that turns an unwashed shag in rags with a drunkard's voice into a perfectly coiffed opera singer in tails.

FerretBomb

OBS does support video and audio filters, including VST support if the built-in filters do not do what you need them to do.

Unfortunately we can't really help with specifics on what it sounds like you're trying to do. You'll get much better results starting with high quality sources and relying on filters only for fine tweaking; there are no full body/voice replacement plugins for OBS.
You might consider looking into VTuber rigs if a complete virtual body/face/voice rework is what you want. OBS can take that output and stream/record it from there. :)

Tobias Claren

@koala

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.
(https://obsproject.com/forum/help/terms/)

I wrote nothing about "unwashed" or "rags" ("replacement only if defective, no "fashion"").
Also, I do NOT drink alcohol, and (at over 40 years of age) have never drunk alcohol.
And NO, I am not religious, a straight-edger, or a dry alcoholic.
I don't need an excuse to not drink alcohol.
But that doesn't mean I'm a "teetotaler."
NO worldview behind it.
I am also in favor of the release of drugs such as cannabis, cocaine, psillocybin, ayahusca, etc..
But I have never used any of these.
Nor tobacco. NEVER tried it.
I'm just not a follower who "has to" do something because the masses do it because the masses think it's "adult".
I'm also an atheist, don't listen to music, and have ZERO interest in sporting events.
Not even the big competitions. ZERO interest.

Do you ever drink more than ~17 US fl oz (500ml) of beer or 8.5 US fl oz (250ml) of wine in a day?
If so, you have a drinking problem as a man according to the World Health Organization.
This also applies to birthdays, New Year's Eve, travel, etc....
If you're a woman, half applies.
And you can't "save up."
You can't stay abstinent all week, and then drink two bottles of beer on the weekend.

Also, I wrote that I cut my hair short myself.
The length of my hair is usually 15mm, but maximum 35m (because the shearing machine can't cut longer).
How long is your hair?
Eventually the algorithms will be able to fake a realistic hairstyle and voice and probably even clothes.
And we're at a point now where individual things are already possible.
That's why I'm asking about it here.

I wanted to clarify with this statement that I do not belong to the "plain" people who try to distinguish themselves in everyday life via changing new "fashion" and hairstyles.
And I don't know if it's only in movies and series, but here you're allowed to wear outerwear and pants even on two, three, four.... days in a row.
It may be considered "weird" if you wear freshly washed pants and sweaters every day.
Fun Fact:
The Australian government recommends not washing a pair of jeans for an entire month.
And you're clean and don't stink if you don't shower twice a day, or even once a week, and wash your problem areas when necessary.

@FerretBomb

"You'll get much better results starting with high quality sources "

Of course.
I have a real microphone in microphone arm.
Not a telex mic or headset from a smartphone.
But you don't have a voice like James Earl Jones and co. even with a good microphone.

I have a good mic, green screen, teleprompter, Sony UHD camera (AX-53), UHD HDMI grabber and a great video light.
I even have a Victorian desk as a "prop".

I don't want to wear makeup or have my hair done by a hairdresser, though.
And you can't buy an exceptional voice.

Last edited:

AaronD

@koala

(https://obsproject.com/forum/help/terms/)

I wrote nothing about "unwashed" or "rags" ("replacement only if defective, no "fashion"").
Also, I do NOT drink alcohol, and (at over 40 years of age) have never drunk alcohol.
And NO, I am not religious, a straight-edger, or a dry alcoholic.
I don't need an excuse to not drink alcohol.
But that doesn't mean I'm a "teetotaler."
NO worldview behind it.
I am also in favor of the release of drugs such as cannabis, cocaine, psillocybin, ayahusca, etc..
But I have never used any of these.
Nor tobacco. NEVER tried it.
I'm just not a follower who "has to" do something because the masses do it because the masses think it's "adult".
I'm also an atheist, don't listen to music, and have ZERO interest in sporting events.
Not even the big competitions. ZERO interest.

Do you ever drink more than ~17 US fl oz (500ml) of beer or 8.5 US fl oz (250ml) of wine in a day?
If so, you have a drinking problem as a man according to the World Health Organization.
This also applies to birthdays, New Year's Eve, travel, etc....
If you're a woman, half applies.
And you can't "save up."
You can't stay abstinent all week, and then drink two bottles of beer on the weekend.

Also, I wrote that I cut my hair short myself.
The length of my hair is usually 15mm, but maximum 35m (because the shearing machine can't cut longer).
How long is your hair?
Eventually the algorithms will be able to fake a realistic hairstyle and voice and probably even clothes.
And we're at a point now where individual things are already possible.
That's why I'm asking about it here.

I wanted to clarify with this statement that I do not belong to the "plain" people who try to distinguish themselves in everyday life via changing new "fashion" and hairstyles.
And I don't know if it's only in movies and series, but here you're allowed to wear outerwear and pants even on two, three, four.... days in a row.
It may be considered "weird" if you wear freshly washed pants and sweaters every day.
Fun Fact:
The Australian government recommends not washing a pair of jeans for an entire month.
And you're clean and don't stink if you don't shower twice a day, or even once a week, and wash your problem areas when necessary.

@FerretBomb

"You'll get much better results starting with high quality sources "

Of course.
I have a real microphone in microphone arm.
Not a telex mic or headset from a smartphone.
But you don't have a voice like James Earl Jones and co. even with a good microphone.

I have a good mic, green screen, teleprompter, Sony UHD camera (AX-53), UHD HDMI grabber and a great video light.
I even have a Victorian desk as a "prop".

I don't want to wear makeup or have my hair done by a hairdresser, though.
And you can't buy an exceptional voice.
I thought it was obvious hyperbole. And I completely agree with the actual point.

My experience is more in audio, and the same thing applies there. You can't fix anything electronically. You can enhance what's already there, but it still has to be there to start with.

And of course you can wreck it all you want. There are countless stories of someone spending hours getting a processor just right, only to find that the bypass button (no processing at all) sounds lightyears better!