Feature Request for Mac - Add Audio Input by application

moogotgame

Windows has this and I am overwhelming jealous that I can't add my Discord and Spotify set-up through my Rodecaster Duo from my streaming Mac to my Gaming PC. Mac needs the "ADD Audio Input from application window" like PC has. This seems like the only thing missing from being able to stream rather easily with a M1 Macbook Pro streaming machine and a Gaming PC.

Since PC has this already with OBS Studio, can the team implement this for the Mac version? It would be a huge weight lifted if I saw this feature come to the Mac.

THANK YOU to the OBS developers!!!
Moo

AaronD

Yes, Windows has it, but it's buggy. Lots of threads about it crackling or getting horribly out of sync, etc. I would not consider it ready to use yet. So don't feel bad for not having it at all. It's just not ready yet for Mac's "walled garden that just works".

To get audio from one app to another, the older methods are still bulletproof. Loopback, or an additional device that you don't listen to, which works because the operating system creates a loopback for each output device anyway, so you're still technically doing it that way. That's how the Desktop and Audio Output sources work.

moogotgame

Yes, Windows has it, but it's buggy. Lots of threads about it crackling or getting horribly out of sync, etc. I would not consider it ready to use yet. So don't feel bad for not having it at all. It's just not ready yet for Mac's "walled garden that just works".

To get audio from one app to another, the older methods are still bulletproof. Loopback, or an additional device that you don't listen to, which works because the operating system creates a loopback for each output device anyway, so you're still technically doing it that way. That's how the Desktop and Audio Output sources work.
Thank you for your reply. I am new to streaming and PC. I just got my gaming Rig set up last week. I will look into Loopdeck and search Youtube for videos on how to implement it into OBS on Mac. If you have any other guidance or pain points I can avoid it's much appreciated!

moogotgame

That requires a lot more detail about what you're trying to do.
I am trying to stream on my Mac (with OBS and Loopback) a game that's playing on my PC using RodeCaster Duo. I have all the physical wires all setup and the game is showing up in OBS, I just need to get the audio part down. I am going to purchase Loopback and see if that does the trick.

I want to be able to play music from Spotify and my audio from Discord, if I'm playing with others, to the Stream, but I want to record the audio separately. For example, I don't want Spotify and Discord chat being recorded into one file that I can clip later. I'd prefer separate audio files so I can choose what works best in post-production. Does Loopback just feed one mixed audio source into OBS all together or will I have the flexibility to record separate audio tracks?

AaronD

I am trying to stream on my Mac (with OBS and Loopback) a game that's playing on my PC using RodeCaster Duo. I have all the physical wires all setup and the game is showing up in OBS, I just need to get the audio part down. I am going to purchase Loopback and see if that does the trick.

I want to be able to play music from Spotify and my audio from Discord, if I'm playing with others, to the Stream, but I want to record the audio separately. For example, I don't want Spotify and Discord chat being recorded into one file that I can clip later. I'd prefer separate audio files so I can choose what works best in post-production. Does Loopback just feed one mixed audio source into OBS all together or will I have the flexibility to record separate audio tracks?
So, Spotify and Discord run on the OBS machine? And the game is on its own by itself? That'd be the way I'd recommend, since the game tends to require its own optimizations and usually works best if it has the entire machine available to it. OBS is the other big app, but it tends to share resources better, so a couple of 1% loads will do just fine on that machine alongside OBS.

Then the question is, "How to get audio from those other 1% apps into OBS?", which is precisely what the loopback is for. The game audio comes from the other PC, so it should be about as easy as the picture.

Whether you can keep multiple apps separate, to feed multiple sources in OBS, I don't know. You'll have to experiment with that. I've done it on both Windows and Linux, and I'm sure it's possible on Mac; I just haven't done it there myself.

For recording separate audio, OBS doesn't do multiple files, which is probably good anyway to avoid loss of sync at that step (it can still get out of sync somewhere else though, and the recording inherits that), but you can record up to 6 separate audio tracks in a single video file. Then a competent video editor can pick out those tracks and mix them as you want during post-production.

If you're streaming live, then Track 1 needs to be a complete stream mix all by itself. Then you can use the other 5 tracks for the split-out versions. Each thing goes to 2 tracks: everything goes to Track 1 for the stream, and each thing also has its own dedicated track between 2-6.

AaronD

Do you have a YouTube link on how to record up to 6 different audio tracks into 1 video file in OBS?
YouTube is overkill.
1698365126504.png

1698365219573.png

Done!