Question / Help Encoding overloaded - Ryzen Threadripper 1950X

AdmiralE

Log file: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/de99bd090fd2f3614e6f92b0c8608304

Hey there,
I'm having some encoding problems regarding my new Ryzen Threadripper 1950X.
As you can see in the log files, the encoding overloads, although my CPU isn't even at 40% usage...
(For a picture of the CPU usage during the stream check the picture below)
Unbenannt.PNG

Sure, the stream settings are kinda high (10.000 bitrate + "slower" CPU-encoding), but a computer like this should be able to accomplish that, shouldn't he?
So what is the problem? Why does the encoder overload, although the CPU is just at 20-35% usage?

Thanks!

Log file: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/de99bd090fd2f3614e6f92b0c8608304

awolive

I'm having the exact same issue with my 1950x Threadripper, its not fully utilizing all the Threadripper processing power and overloads as well with only ~30-40% load on processor.

awolive

I'm trying to achieve 1080p60 at 5000-6000 bitrate using medium/slow preset but OBS claims its overloading at ~30-40% processor load.

AdmiralE

I'm having the exact same issue with my 1950x Threadripper, its not fully utilizing all the Threadripper processing power and overloads as well with only ~30-40% load on processor.

Hmm... Make sure to tell me when you found a solution. If I find something, I'll let you know asap

awolive

NoTick Member

Another discovery today while fiddling...

Changing the memory distribution on AMD Ryzen Master from 'Distributed' to 'Local' removed all encoding issues I was seeing as well. (I used Profile 1 -- and just turned it to 'Local' and saved.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found this on the site but I'm away from my computer to test it out but it possibly might solve the issue?

AdmiralE

NoTick Member

Changing the memory distribution on AMD Ryzen Master from 'Distributed' to 'Local' removed all encoding issues I was seeing as well. (I used Profile 1 -- and just turned it to 'Local' and saved.)

I found this on the site but I'm away from my computer to test it out but it possibly might solve the issue?

Interesting... See if it works

AdmiralE

NoTick Member

Doesn't change anything for me... Still the same problems

Videophile

Elgato
On my threadripper 1950x I can do 1080p60 at Slow. CPU usage stays around 50%.

If I go to slower, 70% of frames are dropped due to encoding lag.

I think that Slower just hits the actual speed limit of the 1950x. It needs more clockspeed, no cores, at this point.

AWOL1984

^what are your other settings in OBS, etc. Also, are you streaming to a platform like twitch or local recording? Thanks

Gradus

So what is the problem? Why does the encoder overload, although the CPU is just at 20-35% usage?

Disable SMT feature at BIOS (hyper-threading) and add threads=80 option to OBS (Custom x264 command section). After give a try let me know your CPU usage and the CPU utilization fluctuation.

awolive

^this seemed to work for me to stream 1080p60 6000 bitrate on twitch pretty smoothly but seemed to cause other issues. My mouse would keep disconnecting and reconnecting frequently. This only happens when streaming + playing overwatch.

Gradus

^this seemed to work for me to stream 1080p60 6000 bitrate on twitch pretty smoothly but seemed to cause other issues. My mouse would keep disconnecting and reconnecting frequently. This only happens when streaming + playing overwatch.

Glad that it worked. It can be tuned further, but I need to see the CPU utilization and the fluctation during the stream.

Your mouse issue has nothing to do with the above setting change. Change the USB port, update USB port driver or try another mouse.

Last edited:

awolive

I did a complete drive wipe and reinstalled windows 10 because I couldn't get rid of the mouse problem. Finally, everything the problem has been fixed. I will post a log file once I get OBS running to see what I can do to optimize the quality. Thanks again!

awolive

so I figured why my computer was making usb noises. Apparently the Threadripper starts to throttle at a 68 degrees and with my overclock I was running it kept hitting the throttle temp so I underclocked (now running 3.8ghz @ 1.2v very stable) and now it seems to have fixed the problem but now I'm noticing my frames while in game are all over the place compared to my old 7700k build computer. Maybe you can help with my OBS settings. I run my computer resolution at 1440p under output should I check rescale output and should I leave my settings under video at my default resolution of my monitor at 1440p or should I change it to 1080p and 1080p for both base and output resolution? Thank

KandiVan

On my threadripper 1950x I can do 1080p60 at Slow. CPU usage stays around 50%.

If I go to slower, 70% of frames are dropped due to encoding lag.

I think that Slower just hits the actual speed limit of the 1950x. It needs more clockspeed, no cores, at this point.

Every time I attempt to disable SMT my PC gets stuck in a continuous reboot and requires a CMOS reset to boot into bios. Any reason why that would be?

bureokjam

I suffered from this problem. I solved this problem by upgrading from dual-channel memory to quad-channel memory. I think this problem is a bottleneck due to the bandwidth problem of dual-channel memory. I got an idea from the benchmark for encoding speed of daul-channel memory and quad-channel memory. The CPU was overclocked at 4Ghz and ram was overclocked at 3400 Mhz. ram timing was completely untouched. I am not good at English, so I translate. I think you will understand the content. I am getting a lot of help here, so I answer this way. I hope it helps.

koala

This topic strangely reminds me of the comic strip Asterix the Gaul, where Asterix is kidnapped along with the Druid Getafix by the Romans. Getafix is forced to make his famous magic potion that makes the imbiber invincible. But instead, the druid brews a potion that makes the hair and beards growing faster.
There is an incredibly funny scene where the Romans test their supposed strength by trying to lift the heaviest stones and fail. Although they fail with all but the ordinary stones everybody is able to lift, they are still convinced they got the real potion and are really invincible.