Question / Help Encoding overload with very low CPU usage

Merfesto

Hi, hope everyone is having a nice day.

I like recording videos for my YouTube channel and I have had this problem for a long time, I have tried many different things but the problem doesn't seem to go away completely, so I have decided to post here and look for help to try and fix this once and for all.

So, first things first, so try to make things easier, my computer specs:

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60 HZ

32 GB RAM

I have two monitors, the main one is 144 HZ and the secondary one is 60 HZ.

From my understanding, this is a very strong PC, so here goes my problem, whenever I start recording this message pops up very often: "Encoding overloaded! Consider turning down video settings or using a faster encoding preset."

I'm not an expert on this field, but from what I have read, this basically means your GPU is saturated with work and can't handle recording at the pace it is recording, hence the dropped frames and seeing stutters on the OBS screen. What baffles me the most is that, when I am playing Red Dead Redemption 2 at maximum settings and I have set the OBS process to Above Normal, High and Realtime priorities in the Details tab from the Task Manager, the CPU usage never goes above 3%, so it doesn't make sense that the message suggests my CPU is saturated if the CPU is not being used at all, so my best guess is something is off on my PC and is somehow locking the CPU usage on OBS, but I can't seem to find what it is and is driving me crazy.

I would love to fix this issue, I will provide any logs, screenshots or information needed to diagnose the problem.

Thanks to anyone reading this and if anyone is willing to help, it would be very much appreciated!

carlmmii

MJB

I see the exact same error message. It's never caused any issues with the live stream viewers or DVR file. Sorry, but I haven't figured out how to stop this error message either. Following....