Encoder Overload when recording COD Warzone

BinaryBunny

So I've been facing some issue with recording Call of Duty Warzone recently, I've tried different games such as Minecraft and it works just fine, no issues what so ever. But as soon as I go to record COD Warzone I keep getting the message "Encoder Overload etc.." and I can't figure out why, or how to fix it. I'm currently running a Ryzen 3700x, 1080 Ti, RAM running at 3666MHz and I'm recording onto my M.2 NVMe SSD which has incredible speeds.

And looking back at the clips after recording, they're really choppy.
Why is this happening and what should I do?

BinaryBunny

Lowering the FPS to record at 60 rather than 240 seemed to have done the trick.. Is there a way to record at a higher framerate though?

qhobbes

1. The version of Windows you are running (1909) has a limitation which causes performance issues in hardware accelerated applications (such as games and OBS) if multiple monitors with different refresh rates are present. Your system's monitors have 2 different refresh rates (144 and 60), so you are affected by this limitation.

To fix this issue, we recommend updating to at least the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. Follow these instructions if you're not sure how to update. If the 20H2 update is available, update to that per https://obsproject.com/blog/five-simple-tips-for-new-streamers . If you cannot update, then set both to the same refresh rate or disconnect a monitor.
2. Assuming you have updated, set your 144 Hz monitor to 120 and cap your games at 120 or 240 FPS. Your OBS FPS, refresh rate and game FPS should be multiples of each other.
3. Run OBS as admin
4. Uncheck the boxes for Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning.

After making those change try OBS FPS 120, 120 Hz, Game FPS 120. Please be aware that recording at a tremendously high framerate (anything over 60) will not give you higher quality recordings. Usually quite the opposite. Most computers cannot handle encoding at high framerates.

BinaryBunny

1. The version of Windows you are running (1909) has a limitation which causes performance issues in hardware accelerated applications (such as games and OBS) if multiple monitors with different refresh rates are present. Your system's monitors have 2 different refresh rates (144 and 60), so you are affected by this limitation.

To fix this issue, we recommend updating to at least the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. Follow these instructions if you're not sure how to update. If the 20H2 update is available, update to that per https://obsproject.com/blog/five-simple-tips-for-new-streamers . If you cannot update, then set both to the same refresh rate or disconnect a monitor.
2. Assuming you have updated, set your 144 Hz monitor to 120 and cap your games at 120 or 240 FPS. Your OBS FPS, refresh rate and game FPS should be multiples of each other.
3. Run OBS as admin
4. Uncheck the boxes for Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning.

After making those change try OBS FPS 120, 120 Hz, Game FPS 120. Please be aware that recording at a tremendously high framerate (anything over 60) will not give you higher quality recordings. Usually quite the opposite. Most computers cannot handle encoding at high framerates.
I'll try this as soon as I get back from work! Thanks a bunch! I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond!