Echo with Realtek headphone virtualization enabled

Nayko93

Hi
I have a little problem ( also this could help some peoples with the same problem )

I tried to record some stuff in game and on my desktop with OBS and noticed my sound had a echo...
So I spent hours searching where it could come from, trying all solution I could find on the web, nothing worked... until I finally found it !
It was coming from this :

12.JPG

This, for those who are not familiar with it, is HRTF, without entering in too much details, it's something that allow a stereo sound to expand its sound-stage and have a "3D" effect and make your game or movie sound like you had a real home theater.
It's a "virtual surround" like you have in all gaming headset, or windows sonic, dolby atmos for windows, dts for windows... ( but better in my opinion, at least in MY ears with MY Sennheiser HD 598, because it depend a lot of your ears shape and headset, that's why a lot of people don't like it while others love it, so if you search for a good virtual surround, try it )

Anyway, it seem that OBS doesn't like when it's enabled and will capture the sound WITH the HRTF effect applied on it, but since OBS is not a headphone, it will just capture the stereo sound with a small delay between the 2 channel ( that's how HRTF works, with binaural sound ) creating this weird echo

So my question is : Is there a way to force OBS to NOT capture the sound AFTER the HRTF treatment have been applied but instead do it BEFORE ?
I don't want to "just disable it when I record", all sounds are so flat without it...

Also devs, maybe you could try to correct this ? I'm not sure this is the right way it should work, OBS should capture the sound at it's base and not after some treatment have been applied to it

AaronD

I don't think that's possible. Not with a single output device, anyway.

What you could do though, is send your audio to a "dummy device". Either a virtual thing that goes nowhere, or a physical thing that you're otherwise not using and keep silent by other means. Have OBS capture that, dry, and send OBS's Monitor to your "real" device. Then you can keep the "special sauce" on, with OBS capturing upstream from of it.

Eviluess

I don't think that's possible. Not with a single output device, anyway.

What you could do though, is send your audio to a "dummy device". Either a virtual thing that goes nowhere, or a physical thing that you're otherwise not using and keep silent by other means. Have OBS capture that, dry, and send OBS's Monitor to your "real" device. Then you can keep the "special sauce" on, with OBS capturing upstream from of it.
Hey, So OBS can record the audio in atmos format if I playing a video with atmos or games that enabling the atmos?
I just see the setup of OBS that it can only up to 7.1 channels, seems not containing the object data.

AaronD

Hey, So OBS can record the audio in atmos format if I playing a video with atmos or games that enabling the atmos?
I just see the setup of OBS that it can only up to 7.1 channels, seems not containing the object data.
7.1 is not Atmos. It's just a mashup of 8 channels.

I would not expect OBS to support *any* proprietary format, or anything that itself costs money. (licensing, etc.)