DroidCam OBS Camera

DroidCam OBS Camera 2.3.2

cupuno

I would like to request a feature, could we record into phone when streaming.

This feature may similar with "source record" plugin, but save original source into phone instead of computer. I think this is a great option for post-production.

Thank you very much.

dev47

dev47 updated DroidCam OBS Camera with a new update entry:

• OBS v25 is the new minimum (previously v24).
  • Updated colorspace handling in video decoders (sRGB detection/support).
  • Added WiFi discovery: clicking [Refresh Device List] will update the Device drop-down with both usb and wifi search results. You can now select a wifi device instead of typing the IP manually.
    Requires latest iOS (v1.9.x) and Android (v1.6.x) phone apps.

Read the rest of this update entry...

dev47

I would like to request a feature, could we record into phone when streaming.

This feature may similar with "source record" plugin, but save original source into phone instead of computer. I think this is a great option for post-production.

Thank you very much.

Why not use source-record on the computer side, that seems like a better option than adding extra load on the phone?
Having said that, this feature is on the to-do list, as there have been other similar requests.

cupuno

Why not use source-record on the computer side, that seems like a better option than adding extra load on the phone?
Having said that, this feature is on the to-do list, as there have been other similar requests.
Thank you for your attention.

To save original source on the phone because it is safe to avoid computer overload or disconnect, phone record is still going on even lost connection with computer. Another reason is if we use 3-4 droidcam sources, each phone could share the its own job instead computer does all records.

robby98

Hey dev! Is there any way to add image stabilization while using my phone as a dashcam in my car? Looks a bit wierd when I hit a hole in my livestreams :D I mean...it's shakyyy

dev47

Hey dev! Is there any way to add image stabilization while using my phone as a dashcam in my car? Looks a bit wierd when I hit a hole in my livestreams :D I mean...it's shakyyy

There aren't good built-in stabilization options, any phones that may support this would introduce delay into the video.
The best option would be to buy an actual gimbal to physically hold & stabilize the phone.

robby98

There aren't good built-in stabilization options, any phones that may support this would introduce delay into the video.
The best option would be to buy an actual gimbal to physically hold & stabilize the phone.
I bought one of the best phone support but is still shaky :D

kayakyakr

Hi there. Was testing your app out seeing if it would work. First want to say well done, was surprisingly smooth over WiFi, almost no lag. USB worked as well.

So I was able to preview 720p with the watermark, but wasn't able to preview 1080. The phone popped up, "resolution not supported" when I tried to push it that high.

So what I want to know is if that was a problem with the phone or because I haven't purchased pro mode in the app?

The phone is a moto g5+ running android 8.1.4. the camera itself supports 4k 30fps or 1080 60fps. Is there a different limitation for your app?

The only other suggestion I might make is that it would be nice if there was an auto-start/background mode so bringing it up was just a matter of the phone having power and the whole thing could operate as seamlessly as a discrete webcam.

vip2810

Hi there, thanks a lot for this nice tool, it's really handy and works well! I am a pro-version user.
I want to use the remote zoom facility from OBS, inside the dock within OBS. I am using several docks for several cameras
I was wondering if I could have some keyboard (or streamdeck) for zoom in and zoom out for each camera which whould be very useful.

Thanks again

kayakyakr

The phone is a moto g5+ running android 8.1.4. the camera itself supports 4k 30fps or 1080 60fps. Is there a different limitation for your app?

I think I answered this... My newer phone (still 2 years old, needing to upgrade) is able to preview in 1080p, which means the older phone just cannot support it.

Will have to re-evaluate in a few month's time if I'm getting a new phone between using my existing phone as a dedicated OBS cam, or spending the $99 to get a used brio.

ukktu

Hey dev47,

I would like to support you with a PRO version. I use two smartphones. Once with Google Play Store connection (Xiaomi) and once without (Huawei). Can I buy the non-GSM version and use it on both smartphones or do I have to buy it separately?

greetings

dev47

@vip2810 hotkeys for browser docks are not available afaik, support would need to be added within OBS first and then the DroidCam remote page can accept shortcuts for all the functions.

You'd need to script something yourself to control the cam from a streamdeck at the moment.

dev47

@kayakyakr - try enabling Camera2 API in DroidCam on the moto g5+, if you haven't.
But some phones limit certain features to their own apps, including eg. 1080p/4K recording, by doing things in non-standard ways under the covers.

TomPlaysSemantle

I can't for the life of me get smooth 60fps working on the paid version of DroidCamOBS. My hardware:

Phone: Galaxy S20 FE
Computer: Ryzen 5 5600x + GeForce RTX 3080

See this video I posted as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyDTEbUHyNI - at the start I was recording video outside of OBS using native android cam. Halfway through the video I changed to DroidCamOBS - you can compare the lack of smoothness at 2m09s.

When running the app I can tell looking at my phone screen that it is definitely not filming at 60fps. I have:

Turned on Camera2API (Confirmed my phone has level_3 Camera2API enabled using Camera2Probe);
Set FPS to 60 in both DroidOBS and OBS
Altered every single setting within the android app (advanced video settings/lower resolution/flicker/OIS etc.)
Connected by both WiFi and USB (no difference)

I have no ideas left - could you please help?

Thanks
Tom

ElOptimista

I just purchased the Droidcam OBS app and tried to get the 60 FPS option working on my setup but I can't get it to work.

My phone is a Xiaomi Mi 9, with LEVEL_3 Camera2 support. Tried all settings in the app, even disabling Camera 2 API and selecting the FPS Boost option but still not working.

Tried in both USB and a 5GHz WiFi network. Any advice?

dev47

You can use the Bug Report feature in DroidCam (in the "Info" page) to send in your logs (after starting/stopping the camera). But enabling camera2 and setting target fps to 60 is basically it.

You can also use the Open Camera app to see if all options work as expected. Some phones limit certain features to their own apps...

ElOptimista

You can use the Bug Report feature in DroidCam (in the "Info" page) to send in your logs (after starting/stopping the camera). But enabling camera2 and setting target fps to 60 is basically it.

You can also use the Open Camera app to see if all options work as expected. Some phones limit certain features to their own apps...
After trying Open Camera and choosing Camera2 API I got some... interesting results. Apparently 60 FPS just crashes the app with a critical error. However, choosing 120 FPS actually records the video at 120 FPS, and you also lose a lot of quality and the video is extremely dark because of the low exposure which can't be changed while shooting HighSpeed framerates. I'll send a log anyways as there might be something useful in there but this seems like just incompatibility with third party apps (Google Camera port seems to work fine at 60 FPS though).

Masterlab

Hi, I just started jusing OBS Music Edition, mostly because of the output mixer options.
DroidCam doesn't show up in the sources.
I installed it in the correct folder (I think ;-)).
Any clue how to get it to work, or is it just not compatible yet?

BR Andreas

dev47

@Masterlab -- Just looked into this, it looks like obs-me has different FFmpeg libraries bundled, preventing DroidCam from loading.
I tried playing around with it to see if there's an easy way to work around it, but unfortunately obs-me just crashes when DroidCam is activated.