Resource icon

DistroAV - Network Audio/Video in OBS-Studio using NDI technology 4.14.1

Where do I find the NDI Video Monitor? I don't know what that is. I'm assuming when you say Programs you're referring to the OBS icon in the applications folder. You clicked show contents on the OBS icon correct?

No, I suspect that they're referring to the NDI Monitor that's bundled with the NDI Tools package. Since you're on a Mac, a platform I have no experience with NDI on (I'm a Windows shop here primarily), I'm unable to offer advice other than looking somewhere in the Applications folder.

--Katt. =^.^=

Rdelaura

I have been using the NDI plugin for some time now. I am still on OBS 28.1
I notice this plugin is causing almost a 20fps drop in game. As soon as I disable the Main NDI Output I get those frames back. Is this normal? I've never noticed it before. Whats the point of using it with that much loss? Any help would be appreciated

MyrtleV

Hello is this really the end of the line on this issue? I just thought tonight I would try to connect a second OBS camera device wirelessly - assuming it would be a pretty simple affair and I'd be up and running after 15 minutes max, without needing any additional plugins or information.

- Iphone intuitively switches in settings to NDI and is awaiting to connect to client.
- OBS Studio does not have NDI source available.
- Web search for plugin
- Installed plugin does not appear in sources
- Circular web searches lead me to download various instances of obs-ndi-4.8.0-macOS.pkg, https://ndi.palakis.fr/runtime/ndi-runtime-4.5.1-macOS.pkg and https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/releases/download/4.8.0/obs-ndi-4.8.0-macOS.pkg
- I discover some suggestions of 'fixes' in the form of terminal instructions, to which I receive the response no such file or directory: /usr/local/lib:
sudo ln libndi.dylib libndi.4.dylib
- I read instructions above in this thread regarding 'NDI video monitor' and file locations including /Programs which are not useful for Mac OS.
- I sit here in disbelief that this is a paid app and not only are these issues not collated into one place, but there is actually no solution given by you. Please take responsibility and provide answers and solutions for your paying customers. I spent 2 hours on this and got nowhere, all of which time I should have been spending rehearsing my livestream.

Lawrence_SoCal

- I sit here in disbelief that this is a paid app and not only are these issues not collated into one place, but there is actually no solution given by you.
I wish I was in disbelief. but ignorance abounds.

OBS Studio is NOT a paid app. seriously -re-read and confirm for yourself. If you paid for OBS Studio, then you screwed up.. hope for your sake isn't malware.
If you are talking about a different app, do yourself a favor and ask that app author... you are posting in the wrong place
NDI is a protocol. And NewTek has free software and tools available. If you are talking about NewTek's software, talk to them... again you are posting in wrong place
There is a NDI discussion in the MacOS OBS Studio forum, so why posting here?
My understanding of the issue, is that NewTek won't freely (or with acceptable license terms) allow developers of OBS Studio to natively integrate NDI into OBS Studio, a free, open-source software (FOSS) package. Again, complain to NewTek if you are so inclined
Please, whine elsewhere.

Personally, I have a Panasonic NDI PTZ camera. I use Panasonics's free Virtual USB driver to take NDI feed from camera and present them as locally-attached USB video device(s). easy peasy, rock-solid (fortunately for me). If the new version of OBS Studio causing you grief, and older version worked fine, why not go back to older version? There are no pressing features in OBS Studio v28 & 29 that motivate me, and FOSS plugin authors of also need time to update and mature their plugins for the new UI framework. So, I'm being patient and focusing on my livestreaming presentation. I also make full system backups befor emajor app updates, and I record my settings and steps, so I can easily re-create/reset a given setup

greedyintern

Working in OBS 29 but the NDI feed from a PTZOptics camera will randomly freeze in OBS (other apps it is still live). Sometimes it is good for 90 minutes, sometimes 55 minutes, sometimes only 5 before it freezes. And then if you click in OBS it will completely lock up and crash. The last line in the standard log file (crash log isn't created) is:

[obs-ndi] audio thread for 'NDI™ Source' completed​

Not sure where to go from here. Using NDI runtime 5.5. Any help is appreciated.

Tonny Sarmento

Palakis atualizado obs-ndi - NewTek NDI™ integração no OBS Studio
com uma nova entrada de atualização:

obs-ndi 4.11.0

Leia o resto desta entrada de atualização...
Essa atualização do NDI não resolveu para o meu OBS. Eu uso o Windows 10. O sinal transmitido pelo celular não chega ao OBS. No Prism Live Studio ele chega normalmente. Estou usando Samsung M52 telefone celular. Instalado no computador: OBS 29.0.2, NDI 5.5.3 e plugin 4.11.0 para Windows.

Attachments

• Captura de tela 2023-03-28 160330.png
    Captura de tela 2023-03-28 160330.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 126

Tonny Sarmento

Attachments

• Captura de tela 2023-03-28 160330.png
    Captura de tela 2023-03-28 160330.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 78

jsdray

Working in OBS 29 but the NDI feed from a PTZOptics camera will randomly freeze in OBS (other apps it is still live). Sometimes it is good for 90 minutes, sometimes 55 minutes, sometimes only 5 before it freezes. And then if you click in OBS it will completely lock up and crash. The last line in the standard log file (crash log isn't created) is:

[obs-ndi] audio thread for 'NDI™ Source' completed​

Not sure where to go from here. Using NDI runtime 5.5. Any help is appreciated.
This is exactly what I am experiencing. I just purchased 4 new NDI cameras for my church and now I can't use them... $7k !!
Any fix for this yet?

Emphyrio

We are going to try The PTZOptics Camera Software.

It works with OBS.

Lawrence_SoCal

I'm thankful my NDI PTZ camera vendor (Panasonic) provides a free Virtual USB driver, so NDI camera feed appears as local USB webcam to OBS. no plugins required

This is exactly what I am experiencing. I just purchased 4 new NDI cameras for my church and now I can't use them... $7k !!
Any fix for this yet?

I also do not, for our HoW, upgrade unnecessarily (don't fix what isn't broken). For our live/production environment, we have NOT needed any new features/bug fixes in OBS v28 and newer, so are holding off for now until the 'dust settles', so to speak. I like what I see, and I'm looking forward to upgrading our GPU to support AV1, probably in a year or so, when more than YouTube accepts it as stream input

So @jsdray - any reason you needed to upgrade? I'd presume cameras are more important that other upgrade features, so go back to OBS v27 for now??

Last edited:

jsdray

I'm thankful my NDI PTZ camera vendor (Panasonic) provides a free Virtual USB driver, so NDI camera feed appears as local USB webcam to OBS. no plugins required

I also do not, for our HoW, upgrade unnecessarily (don't fix what isn't broken). For our live/production environment, we have NOT needed any new features/bug fixes in OBS v28 and newer, so are holding off for now until the 'dust settles', so to speak. I like what I see, and I'm looking forward to upgrading our GPU to support AV1, probably in a year or so, when more than YouTube accepts it as stream input

So @jsdray - any reason you needed to upgrade? I'd presume cameras are more important that other upgrade features, so go back to OBS v27 for now??
We had a camera fail and so we went ahead and upgraded all 3 from SDI to NDI cameras. Obviously we were unaware of this issue. They were simple to install and it looked great... no delays... etc. But I can't have it freezing randomly. I had to configure the new cameras in OBS via rtsp just to get through our Easter Sunday services and buy some time for a resolution. I use SAMMI to control 3 livestream cameras (using about 20 presets) with websocket-5 so I have to use OBS28+. I can't find anything that this is being addressed or will be addressed. I'm hoping this will be fixed before I have to downgrade anything else. Is there any talk of being fixed? Has the issue even been acknowledged?

Lawrence_SoCal

Is there any talk of being fixed? Has the issue even been acknowledged?
Depends on what you mean
My understanding is that NewTek (author of NDI) prevents OBS Studio (a free, open-source software {FOSS} package) to natively incorporate NDI protocol (whether that is license fees, unreasonable license terms, or ?? I don' t know). Notice that some pay software alternatives to OBS Studio does natively include NDI connection options. So, complain to NewTek and your camera vendor about this.

Is this a known 'challenge' - Yes, of course
With FOSS, the end-user assumes responsibility for educating oneself on caveats, etc. With OBS Studio, that includes NDI. My understanding is that there a number of different approaches to getting NDI feeds into OBS Studio. I mentioned that my camera vendor provides their own solution. So, my recommendation, is to start with your camera vendor. Then I'd look into NewTek's free NDO Tools. Then, I'd look into 3rd party alternatives, like possibly the new PTZOptics camera control system?

jsdray

4.11 is crashing OBS 29 randomly. 5, 15, sometimes longer, the video feed appears to freeze. Scenes are still changeable but video (multi camera) is frozen in all scenes. Clicking exit results in OBS "not responding" Has this issue been acknowledged as an issue?

jsdray

Depends on what you mean
My understanding is that NewTek (author of NDI) prevents OBS Studio (a free, open-source software {FOSS} package) to natively incorporate NDI protocol (whether that is license fees, unreasonable license terms, or ?? I don' t know). Notice that some pay software alternatives to OBS Studio does natively include NDI connection options. So, complain to NewTek and your camera vendor about this.

Is this a known 'challenge' - Yes, of course
With FOSS, the end-user assumes responsibility for educating oneself on caveats, etc. With OBS Studio, that includes NDI. My understanding is that there a number of different approaches to getting NDI feeds into OBS Studio. I mentioned that my camera vendor provides their own solution. So, my recommendation, is to start with your camera vendor. Then I'd look into NewTek's free NDO Tools. Then, I'd look into 3rd party alternatives, like possibly the new PTZOptics camera control system?
Thanks for the reply, but it didn't really tell me anything I didn't know already. I have contacted the other parties. I'm trying to cover all the bases to get to a resolution. I was looking for more of a response like I'm using version blah, with version blah... before I began downgrading to find a fix. I was hoping it was on the radar and a fix would be out soon. Also, in response to FOSS, we are a non-profit. I have to be extremely frugal with a limited budget. I spend hours of my free time as a volunteer to do this and I am a team of 1. I research, I install, I configure, and I run 3 cameras, sound and a robotic spot light... I think I'm as educated as I need to be...

jsdray

@greedyintern,
I'm feeling pretty good about finding the right combination to fix this issue you described... I'm 1.5 hours into my 3rd successful test run.
I ended up downgrading from OBS 29 to OBS v28.1.2 with the obs-ndi plugin v4.10.0, and the NDI runtime 4.5.1
This may introduce audio issues based on what I've read, but I do not use the cameras for an audio source. I'm running 3 NDI cameras with SAMMI control deck... I hope this helps you too since I wasn't finding anything for our issue.