Resource icon

All Versions Display Lyrics as Subtitles

amirchev

amirchev submitted a new resource:

Display Lyrics as Subtitles Using - Using the OBS Lyrics script, manage your songs and easily control lyrics during performance/worship.

Step 1: Install the script
First, go the OBS Lyrics script and download the zip file. Extract it and inside you will find a lyrics.lua file. Add that file to your OBS scripts and open up the script properties.

Step 2: Add a song
Now, you can open the script properties and you find that you can add a title and text for a song. Add your lyrics exactly the way you want...

Read more about this resource...

jb75

Thanks so much for this resource, it's just what I was looking for however I cannot get it to work...

I installed a fresh copy of OBS on macOS Catalina, downloaded the OBS Lyrics script.
In OBS under Tools>Scripts I click the + symbol to add a new script and pointed to the downloaded lyrics.lua file
I then get the following error in the script log:

[lyrics.lua] Error calling script_load: /Users/username/Downloads/OBS-Lyrics-1.2.0/lyrics.lua:308: attempt to call method 'gmatch' (a nil value)

I tried copying the lyrics.lua file to this folder: Applications\OBS\Contents\Resources\data\obs-plugins\frontend-tools\scripts
but it made no difference, I get the same error message.

I then installed the Python 3.8 framework from here: https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-385/
I still get the same error message

[lyrics.lua] Error calling script_load: ...urces/data/obs-plugins/frontend-tools/scripts/lyrics.lua:308: attempt to call method 'gmatch' (a nil value)

In the OBS script settings page where I added the lyrics.lua file I clicked into the Python settings tab and entered this after install the Python framework:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8

I would really appreciate some help to get this working.
Many thanks in advance

ct83

I am having the same problem as JB75. I am getting an error message and OBS is not displaying the text. I'm not even getting the same options for editing the text as you have shown in your guide.

ct83

I am having the same problem as JB75. I am getting an error message and OBS is not displaying the text. I'm not even getting the same options for editing the text as you have shown in your guide.

I figured this out!!!! This probably only applies to Mac users:

When you add a Text (FreeType 2) scene you need to edit the Transform properties. The Text scene will create a text box, like in Word...etc that can be stretched and transformed. Right-click the Text scene and go the Transform submenu. There you can select Edit Transform. In the Edit Transform submenu select Bounding Box Type and select Stretch To Bounds (this will allow you to stretch the text box that you created). IMPORTANT: when you select the Text scene you will see a small red square on your video feed (mine was in the upper left corner). Use your cursor to drag that box open and create a larger text box. I wouldn't be surprised if amirchev put this somewhere in the guide and I glossed over it. Also, given that I'm nota coder and my knowledge of these things is about average there is probably an easier way to do all of this but this is how I did it! I hope this helps!

amirchev

I figured this out!!!! This probably only applies to Mac users:

When you add a Text (FreeType 2) scene you need to edit the Transform properties. The Text scene will create a text box, like in Word...etc that can be stretched and transformed. Right-click the Text scene and go the Transform submenu. There you can select Edit Transform. In the Edit Transform submenu select Bounding Box Type and select Stretch To Bounds (this will allow you to stretch the text box that you created). IMPORTANT: when you select the Text scene you will see a small red square on your video feed (mine was in the upper left corner). Use your cursor to drag that box open and create a larger text box. I wouldn't be surprised if amirchev put this somewhere in the guide and I glossed over it. Also, given that I'm nota coder and my knowledge of these things is about average there is probably an easier way to do all of this but this is how I did it! I hope this helps!
That's an interesting solution. I wonder if this is a Mac issue.

Thanks so much for this resource, it's just what I was looking for however I cannot get it to work...

I installed a fresh copy of OBS on macOS Catalina, downloaded the OBS Lyrics script.
In OBS under Tools>Scripts I click the + symbol to add a new script and pointed to the downloaded lyrics.lua file

[lyrics.lua] Error calling script_load: /Users/username/Downloads/OBS-Lyrics-1.2.0/lyrics.lua:308: attempt to call method 'gmatch' (a nil value)

I tried copying the lyrics.lua file to this folder: Applications\OBS\Contents\Resources\data\obs-plugins\frontend-tools\scripts

I then installed the Python 3.8 framework from here: https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-385/

[lyrics.lua] Error calling script_load: ...urces/data/obs-plugins/frontend-tools/scripts/lyrics.lua:308: attempt to call method 'gmatch' (a nil value)

In the OBS script settings page where I added the lyrics.lua file I clicked into the Python settings tab and entered this after install the Python framework:

Many thanks in advance
I wonder if it is a Mac issue. Try what ct83 did and let me know, there doesn't seem to be an easy workaround since I'm not all too familiar with Lua either. Since this script is written in Lua, you don't need to mess with Python settings.

TecAlex

Ich habe das gleiche Problem wie JB75. Ich erhalte eine Fehlermeldung, und OBS zeigt den Text nicht an. Ich bekomme nicht einmal die gleichen Optionen zum Bearbeiten des Textes, wie Sie in Ihrem Handbuch gezeigt haben.
[/ZITAT]

Es freut mich, das nicht nur ich so Probleme habe. Ich bin ziemlich am Ende. Ständig steht da etwas anderes und es klappt absolut gar nichts, so wie es im Handbuch angegeben ist.

amirchev

Many thanks in advance

Ich habe das gleiche Problem wie JB75. Ich erhalte eine Fehlermeldung, und OBS zeigt den Text nicht an. Ich bekomme nicht einmal die gleichen Optionen zum Bearbeiten des Textes, wie Sie in Ihrem Handbuch gezeigt haben.

Es freut mich, das nicht nur ich so Probleme habe. Ich bin ziemlich am Ende. Ständig steht da etwas anderes und es klappt absolut gar nichts, so wie es im Handbuch angegeben ist.

So I did some digging into this, it seems like it might be an issue with Macs or OBS not being updated. First, try to check for updates for OBS by going to Help -> Check For Updates. Next, please wait until I release the next version of this script later this week, God-willing, and try it again as I made a change that might fix that stubborn error.

Reaby

I coded as well a tool for OBS for our congregation streaming needs. I might just leave it here in case someone finds it useful....With this solution the lyrics diplaying person can use tablet on same wifi, so obs machine can be operated with different operator at the same time.

I use nodejs backend to display lower 3rd overlay and song lyrics. We've found out that the obs operator (and sound engineer) is too busy with mixing the audio, so person we have different person displaying the lyrics on a tablet, so she changes the scenes as well using websocket interface. Works out quite good with 5 streams done already :)

rkrause

I like the idea of the lyrics as subtitles, but for some reason when I connect it to my Text GDI source, it sets the opacity to 0% and when I try to change it, it keeps going back to 0%. I am running Windows 10 with OBS 26.1.0. I tried resetting to defaults and even setup a new text source with three same results. Anyone have a suggestion of what is wrong?

amirchev

It would be really nice if there was a way to center the text on the screen. How do I make a feature request?
Hey there, you most definitely can do that. Please look at step 3 in the guide, it shows you how to set up the transform so the text remains centered. It's not part of the app, it is part of the settings for the text source that you're adding.

Dudendop

I like the idea of the lyrics as subtitles, but for some reason when I connect it to my Text GDI source, it sets the opacity to 0% and when I try to change it, it keeps going back to 0%. I am running Windows 10 with OBS 26.1.0. I tried resetting to defaults and even setup a new text source with three same results. Anyone have a suggestion of what is wrong?
I have the exact same issue. Running OBS 26.1.1 on Win 10. Text is fine until I connect it to the Lyrics script. Then opacity goes down to 0%, and no way to change it. Did you find a sollution?

amirchev

I have the exact same issue. Running OBS 26.1.1 on Win 10. Text is fine until I connect it to the Lyrics script. Then opacity goes down to 0%, and no way to change it. Did you find a sollution?
For now, the only solution is to go back to previous version of OBS. I was able to replicate the problem and will post here once it has been resolved. Thanks.

tpkwan

In the function update_lyrics_display(), there are a few lines of codes (lines 294, 303, 304) that set the opacity=0. I am not exactly sure why it is so. But when I comment out those 3 lines, the opacity=0 problem is resolved. This may probably cause other issues. But so far it works for me.

Dudendop

Solved!
For now, the only solution is to go back to previous version of OBS. I was able to replicate the problem and will post here once it has been resolved. Thanks.
Thank you. I managed to "solve" it by fiddling with the fade in/out function in the script! Now it works, even with the fader turned off.