Question / Help Display Capture Not Working (No Properties Unavailable)

drchevalier

What helped in my case was to close OBS and restart it. The second time, OBS did show up as an option under 'screen recording' in the preferences. (here: Settings > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Screen Recording.)
Hope that works for you as well
Thanks kindly. I enabled screen recording and could see Display Capture finally in the configuration, but it displayed a black screen. The key was quitting and restarting OBS after granting it access and all is good now. Thanks for this, I can now focus on the task of getting content out.

RaySZ

Hi! Tried restarting OBS, made sure I'm on the latest version, nothing I do seems to have it show up on the list of apps I can give access to Screen Recording. I'd appreciate any further guidance.

RaySZ

Hi! Tried restarting OBS, made sure I'm on the latest version, nothing I do seems to have it show up on the list of apps I can give access to Screen Recording. I'd appreciate any further guidance.
Threw it in the trash, reinstalled, now it shows up on the Screen Recording list-- but now going to search for a thread that explains why Desktop Audio is disabled by default with no other options.

brysonprice

Fixed my problem by going to Settings > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Screen Recording. Then Check OBS.app, it doesn't automatically ask for permission so you have to manually give it permission. Hope this helps.

THANK YOU so much for this! ..Catalina's privacy is annoying and takes some getting used to

TKStudio

Fixed my problem by going to Settings > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Screen Recording. Then Check OBS.app, it doesn't automatically ask for permission so you have to manually give it permission. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much! This was exactly the resolution I needed

analoggus

I mean it doesn't show in security and Privacy. Sorry for mentioning before.
PS Please help
Seconded. I have OBS (latest version) installed on Catalina 10.15.5, and OBS is not showing in several places in Security and Privacy. It has requested Microphone Access and Disk access, but not camera access or screen recording access.

itylergarrett

Hello, found this forum while trying to debug OBS device capture privacy & security settings on macbook or macOS, thought it would be cool to write about it and make a video on how to handle this setup for people who aren't IT consultants.

Here's a video walk through for those macos security settings OBS setup and blog..

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 1.55.06 AM.png

If you're techie, you may not need a video or blog, and just need to know this setting needs to be checked. But if you've never done this kind of setting before and you're more of a business user trying to get something simple done, this video might help.

Best of luck.

PhiffDaddy

I'm having the same problem. I have given screen recording permission to OBS in system prefs but still get a black screen in facebook and youtube live when I try to stream.

Strangehill

Funny thing happened when I attempted the 're-install' solution for a second time... I noticed that when OBS launched it displayed the modal request for updating privacy settings... first a window for keylogging, and then a window for updating screen recording privacy settings... Since I had successfully granted microphone permissions, I suspect that in my first install attempt I saw this window and not the others. In my first re-install attempt I didn't notice the keylogging windows and screen recording windows. So I didn't see OB listed in the Privacy Settings for screen recording. In my second re-install I noticed that these windows appeared and then were covered up by the main OBS window covering the screen. Using keyboard shortcuts to switch between application windows did not switch over to the privacy settings request modals, and it's only when I got. a whole view of all windows on all apps currently running that I saw the two modals. And that's how I got them to request my system for privacy permissions.

TheOtherNiki

Update: I did some Googling and found out that if I create a new display capture, I am able to see the screen. However, if I close the software and reopen it again, I'm back to having a black screen and have to add a new display again.

*Edit: Never mind. Found another thread about turning off Automatic Graphics Switching in the Battery section of System Preferences. Solved!

Last edited:

JYCHER96

Update: I did some Googling and found out that if I create a new display capture, I am able to see the screen. However, if I close the software and reopen it again, I'm back to having a black screen and have to add a new display again.

*Edit: Never mind. Found another thread about turning off Automatic Graphics Switching in the Battery section of System Preferences. Solved!
Hi... TheOtherNiki...

Thanks for your update for the "black screen".... fixed my issue too !

DJPUMA

The fix for me was to switch from Window Capture to Display Capture when selecting my scene source. I kept accidentally choosing Window Capture. Choose Display Capture and it should bring up your desktop screen.