Resource icon

DirectShow Audio Source Plugin

Defuze

Hello everyone,
I use a headset on the computer to chat with my friends, but the headset doesn't play the sound from the desktop so I only hear the voice from the headset. The gamesound and everything comes from my speakers. Can I use this plugin somehow to add the voices from my friends into obs? It doesn't work when I just add the headset...

Musashie

I dont know this doesnt work for me at all. I am using a headset and loudspeakers at the same time what works fine for me, but while I'm ingame I dont want to listen to music. But as I want some music to be played for my viewers I downloaded this Plugin and unpacked it into the folder. My plan: Me and my viewers can here the sounds from my headset like we always used to + my viewers hear the music from the loudspeakers too (what should be done with a little help of this plugin) while i just turn down the volume at the loudspeaker so I dont have to hear it.

The Plugin appears on OBS correctly, i can chose my loudspeakers with that Plugin, but no matter if I chose "to desktop" or "only to stream" there is no music played, not even if I turn up the volume of my loudspeakers to max. This plugin does not detect any of my audio devices. :(

I am using the latest version of OBS and downloaded the Plugin today - both for 64bit. I am opening OBS always as Admin.

I would really appreciate any help!

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
I updated the plugin description and marked a part in red that may be interesting for some of you. (It was already there before my update, I just made it red and positioned it up top)

Elrinth

seems apehead.se is broken so I can't download the plugin. Anyone got it lying around somewhere? I recently did a format C: ._.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
I guess his page was down, download currently works fine. Still, I uploaded the current version to github and added alternate links, should this happen again. (Also added some info to the main post about the github. All hail the paibox!)

vmorreale

Hello everyone,
I use a headset on the computer to chat with my friends, but the headset doesn't play the sound from the desktop so I only hear the voice from the headset. The gamesound and everything comes from my speakers. Can I use this plugin somehow to add the voices from my friends into obs? It doesn't work when I just add the headset...

So, since this plugin does not yet work for this and it seems multiple people are looking for a solution without having to install FFSplit (browsing around Reddit and other forum sites), is there any plugin that accomplishes OP's goals?

vmorreale

@Musashie I figured it out:

Here's what I did (in VB speak):

CABLE-A -> Default
CABLE-A listen to Speakers
CABLE-B listen to Speakers
Microphone listen to Voicemeeter

In Voicemeeter: Input is CABLE-B output is Voicemeeter

Foobar: Set Output to CABLE-B
OBS: Set Desktop Audio to Desktop Speakers
Set Mic to VoiceMeeter Output

SeAlien

I have a little Problem with the Plugin: I cant pickup my Teamspeak output sound.
No matter which output I choose in TS, DAS is not putting it out to the stream, while I myself hear everything just fine.
My Mic und all other Windows sounds are fine too, as well as the audio picking from VLC via virtual cable.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Output devices will not work, but if you let Teamspeak output to a VAC Line similar to VLC, that should work with the Audio Plugin. As described in the first line, in red, output devices will not work.
Also be aware of the NOTE: At the moment, only one DirectShow audio source that outputs to desktop sound can be active at one time in a single scene, for additional sound output sources you must select option for outputting sound to stream only.

Greg Woolf

If you are getting a (string not found) in your list of plugins where DirectShow Audio Source should be located, then you may have a bad en.txt file in your OBS\plugins\DSShowAudioPlugin\locale file.

I went in and added the = sign in between the Some.text.example="Some text example" properties list and the menus now show the correct string. You should fix this throughout the document and save. Obviously this should NOT be edited while OBS is running. (At least I think that should be obvious)

Better example:

Was:

Plugin.Description "This plugin allows you to add a separate sound source, as long as the device has a compatible DirectShow interface"

Plugin.Name "DirectShow Audio Source Plugin"

I added:
Plugin.Description="This plugin allows you to add a separate sound source, as long as the device has a compatible DirectShow interface"

Plugin.Name="DirectShow Audio Source Plugin"

Altair

For anyone else experiencing the audio stuttering issue, in my (exhaustive) testing and troubleshooting, I've discovered something that seems to solve the issue, at least for me.

This is wild speculation because I haven't actually looked directly at the source code and I'm not familiar with the DirectShow API(s), but I think what is happening is that the scene attempts to capture the DirectShow devices too soon after initializing them for use, and as a result is unable to capture the audio source properly. This would be strange since I assume that OBS itself uses the same APIs to access those devices, but there might be some sort of conflict/race condition between the plugin and OBS accessing DirectShow sources at the same time. As I said this is completely wild speculation, I would love to hear from the developer to see if this sounds like a possible cause.

What worked for me was increasing the "scene buffering time" under Advanced in the settings of OBS (v0.637b as of writing). I had previously modified this to be 400ms, but I think that might be too short. I've increased it to 1200ms and have since had zero issues recording microphones properly. Your mileage may vary (I imagine it depends heavily on both your CPU and the devices themselves), so try playing around with various delays and see if it works for you.

redone

For anyone else experiencing the audio stuttering issue, in my (exhaustive) testing and troubleshooting, I've discovered something that seems to solve the issue, at least for me.

This is wild speculation because I haven't actually looked directly at the source code and I'm not familiar with the DirectShow API(s), but I think what is happening is that the scene attempts to capture the DirectShow devices too soon after initializing them for use, and as a result is unable to capture the audio source properly. This would be strange since I assume that OBS itself uses the same APIs to access those devices, but there might be some sort of conflict/race condition between the plugin and OBS accessing DirectShow sources at the same time. As I said this is completely wild speculation, I would love to hear from the developer to see if this sounds like a possible cause.

What worked for me was increasing the "scene buffering time" under Advanced in the settings of OBS (v0.637b as of writing). I had previously modified this to be 400ms, but I think that might be too short. I've increased it to 1200ms and have since had zero issues recording microphones properly. Your mileage may vary (I imagine it depends heavily on both your CPU and the devices themselves), so try playing around with various delays and see if it works for you.

thanks a lot man, it worked!!!

namitsoo

Worked for me too.Thanks a lot man!

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
The old OBS default scene buffering time was 400ms, and was raised to 700ms some time ago due to issues like this.