Did I mess up audio recording when selecting just one track?

nevespaulo

After playing with the configurations in Desktop Audio (right click) -> Advanced audio properties, I forgot it with just track 2 selected. This way:

1601416765854.png

Now I recorded an online presentation, and it is without audio. I've tried to play the mkv file with VLC player, but I can't hear anything. VLC does not display any alternative audio track to play. I remuxed it to MP4 and no sound.

Did I lost the audio of the presentation, or it is hidden somewhere? Can I recover it using any tool?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Unfortunately if track 2 wasn't selected in the output settings, it wasn't written to the file and would be lost.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Settings / Output / Advanced / Recording. If you're in simple output mode, this defaults to single track recording.

nevespaulo

Thanks for your answer. It is really hidden. Maybe OBS should give me a warning if an audio source is selected but isn't present in the output.

koala

A notice would be fine, but please not some kind of popup message you have to click away.
I'd like to see a visual indication in Advanced Audio properties for the tracks that are enabled and disabled.
There are 3 kind of audio tracks:
  • the audio track that is sent to the stream
  • the audio track(s) that are saved to a recording
  • the audio track(s) that are not sent to anywhere
Perhaps the colorization of the track numbers can be an indication like this.
The streaming track is surrounded by a border
The recording tracks are as before
The inactive tracks have a dim font color but are not deactivated - the squares can still be selected/deselected)
1601478203251.png