[Deleted.]

• Thread starter Deleted member 225844
  • Start date

moendos99

The issue appears to be resolved for me so I'll state here what I'd done.

I changed from Win10 to Win11, though I doubt that contributed.
It's well known that RTSS and MSI Afterburner conflicted with OBS, however I was under the impression that this was only if overlays were enabled!
Now though, the latest RTSS has the option to use Microsoft Detours to inject.
OBS has also now migrated to using Microsoft Detours as their injection method.
Microsoft Detours is specifically designed to behave nicely with multiple MS Detours injections.
Checking the box to have RTSS use MS Detours, + OBS now using it, has resolved all stuttering issues I was having!
Just that simple change.
I'm legitimately shook at how smooth OBS records now.
I'll also state that this smoothness is while having G-sync enabled, with a framerate limiter set to 60fps (the same as OBS is recording at).
Dropping below that 60fps, while smooth for me cos G-sync, does show a stutter in recordings. It just looks like what dropping below 60fps on a normal V-Sync monitor would look like, so I I find that perfectly acceptable.

tl;dr, if you use RTSS, update to the latest version and check the box to have it inject via Microsoft Detours.

Does this work, can anyone confirm?

Mattk

The Problem:
When using capture cards on my PC to capture a games console or to capture my PC via monitor cloning, I get intermittent video stuttering in the capture, even though there is no stuttering on my monitor through the HDMI passthrough or monitor being cloned. This happens in the video preview without recording or streaming. In OBS, there is no rendering or encoding lag showing in the stats.

See these two videos (watch them in full screen):
Stuttering Video When Capturing Games Console: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzT3Fi4_ulM
Stuttering Video When Capturing Cloned Display: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro-j5T-5UJQ

I initially thought the cause was my Elgato 4K60Pro MK.2, so I bought a different card—a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI 4K Plus LT—but the exact same problem persists with this capture card, too, ruling them out as the cause. I've tried both them in both PCIe Slots 3 and 5. Problem persists. (Slot 1 is populated by my GPU, and Slots 2 and 4 are only x1—forget about them. Slot 1 is PCIe 4.0 x16, Slot 3 is PCIe 4.0 x8—which when used, drops Slot 1 to x8—and Slot 5 is PCIe 4.0 x4. That is: x16/x0/x4 or x8/x8/x4. Slots 1 and 3 use the Ryzen CPU lanes, and Slot 5 uses the X570 chipset lanes.)

I normally have my Focusrite external audio interface plugged into a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card (a Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge V1), which is plugged into PCIe Slot 5, so I tried disabling Thunderbolt in the MB's BIOS. Problem persists. I've even tried plugging the capture cards into an external PCIe to Thunderbolt 3 external enclosure (a HighPoint RocketStor 6661A), and plugging that into the TB card (in PCIe Slot 5). Problem persists. I've tried three different MB BIOSes (ASRock X570 Taichi BIOS versions 3.40, 3.00, and 2.70). Problem persists.

I've tried OBS, VirtualDub, Elgato 4K Capture Utility, and Magewell Capture Express. Problem persists. I've tried the x264 and new NVENC encoders, and various settings, resolutions, and frame rates in the softwares. Problem persists. The exact same video stuttering shows in all programs, whatever the settings are. As I said in the beginning, this happens whether I'm capturing a games console or I'm capturing my PC (in a single PC setup via duplicating my desktop).

I've tried turning off my GPU overclocking software (MSI Afterburner). Problem persists. I've tried disabling my second and third monitors. Problem persists. I've tried disabling G-Sync and messing with various other settings in Nvidia Control Panel. Problem persists.

I've updated Windows, all my software, drivers, firmware, etc. Problem persists.

Other than all this, about the only thing that I haven't tried out is throwing my PC out of my window! As I've already said, this intermittent video stuttering only shows in the capture; it doesn't show in the HDMI passthrough to my main monitor.

So, I've ruled out the capture cards, having Thunderbolt enabled in my BIOS, the capturing softwares and their encoding settings, and a dodgy motherboard BIOS. My CPU and RAM seem to be working well (they pass all tests in Memetest86). And my GPU seems to working well (no crashing or glitching in testing and playing intensive modern 3D games). I plan on upgrading my GPU to an RTX 3080 or 3090 soon (when I can get a hold of either one of them), which are PCIe 4.0, which my motherboard supports, so I'll see if that changes anything.

Anyway, what else could possibly be causing the problem? Could it by the motherboard? Everything else in my system works fine, including my Thunderbolt add-in card and audio interface when plugged into PCIe Slot 5. Could the motherboard be incompatible with capture cards??

My system:
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X
RAM: 64 GB 3600 MHz HyperX Predator
GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio
Other PCIe card: Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge V1 (Thunderbolt 3 add-in card)
Audio inferface: Focusrite Clarett 2Pre Thunderbolt (audio interface)
PSU: Corsair RM1000x

I've also posted about this in an oldish thread on the Linus Tech Tips forums here (beginning from the third post down), where two other people seemed to have had the same problem:

If you read my posts there, you'll know that because of this problem I've gone insane and I'm now living in the woods. O_O Please get me out of the fucking woods. Someone. Anyone.
Did you ever have any luck resolving this? I’ve been fighting this myself for the last 2 years.

moendos99

Feel like i need to contribute to this post. Been fiddling around for ages now and tried everything in the book. Made software and hardware changes, but was never really satisfied with the result. Every time I was playing on >120Hz, the capture just stuttered. Not Micro stuttering, but just not running smooth. Playing on 120HZ (downscaled to 60 on capture card of course), was giving me no issues at all. Issues only happened in OBS.

I coincidently found out that the thing that was holding back my frames in OBS was the Video Format option. I always rocked the avermedia Capture Card (4k60 one). Video Format was on XRGB. I found out that YV12 option in OBS on the elgato 4k60Pro did miracles. Sadly the avermedia doesn't have YV12 (as far as i know), so i switched to Elgato. The capture is now way better.
Thought i just leave this here for you guys to check out, see if it helpes.
GL

Paul B

Sounds like a buffering problem. First thing I would do is lower frame rate. Second make sure the only windows open are the nes you need. Close minimized apps, then check your RAM. If you are using the minimum upgrade the amount of ram on your motherboard. Another problem is your video card. Make sure it is a good one and not just adequate. I have found in my video projects minimum requirements are inadequate. If you can upgrade your video card especially increasing onboard card RAM. Last resort upgrade CPU chip and or motherboard. Also if your computer is exchanging video on the hard drive, if you are using a standard hard drive, then upgrade to solid state. That can be very expensive so always do the cheaper checks first. Most problems are not complicated , so go the simple rate ffix first than get more complex.

Joeynator3000

Decided to return to this forum (I forgot that I even registered here, lol), been searching everywhere because I'm having a similar issue. Elgato HD60 Pro, just bought it. My videos, even in the preview, basically have these frequent "hiccups" with both the video and audio. For some odd reason, it's even worse in OBS, it's less noticeable SOMETIMES in Elgato's 4K Streaming Utility or whatever it's called. But yeah, it's really irritating and I feel like it's both the card and how the PC is handling it. Could be affecting other similar cards as well.

I found this while looking for help, but I'm too afraid to mess with BIOS stuff myself in order to test it. But it seems like the PC isn't putting much into the capture in general.

Phantomime

This is "The Stuttering" (watch it in 2160p, if you can):

Hi, SJP176. I think I've got the solution you're looking for.
The problem, if this works for you, is actually a very old one come back to (nearly) permanently haunt us in the newer UEFI's. If the problem is not found in unconverted framerates (usually adapted framerates from fractional to integer and vice cersa,) it's usually caused by the High Precision Event Timer in BIOS/UEFI. Unfortunately, I know of no X570 mobo's that allow to disable HPET, but you can disable it in Windows:

Find and disable 'High Precision Event Timer' in Device Manager > System Devices. Reboot and try your recording again. If it works, let us all know. (I've kept it disabled for over 20 years on every pc I've ever owned or built because of this.)

Games: Some newer games have been made that can use HPET today, but for older ones, microstuttering is a common problem.

Here is a wikipedia excerpt of HPET:
" The High Precision Event Timer (HPET) is a hardware timer used in personal computers. It was developed jointly by Intel and Microsoft and has been incorporated in PC chipsets since 2005. Formerly referred to by Intel as a Multimedia Timer,[1] the term HPET was selected to avoid confusion with the software multimedia timers introduced in the MultiMedia Extensions to Windows 3.0.[2] "
-AND-
"The specification does not require the timer to be particularly fine grained, to have low drift, or to be fast to read. Some typical implementations run the counter at about 18 MHz and require about the same amount of time (1–2 μs) to read the HPET as with the ACPI timer. Implementations have been observed in which the period register is off by 800 parts per million or more."[8]

As for Linux, as you've mentioned trying, I'm not sure yet, but I think it's HPET that's causing severe audio degradation and lag over time with Pulseaudio, requiring it to be restarted occasionally with the command, 'killall pulseaudio', after which it auto-restarts.

Again, let me know. Good luck.

Last edited:

rockbottom

I noticed some minor stuttering under certain 4k workloads. Went into the Nvidia control panel & changed Texture filtering - Quality from Quality to High Performance, stuttering gone.

GordoRlz

The Problem:
When using capture cards on my PC to capture a games console or to capture my PC via monitor cloning, I get intermittent video stuttering in the capture, even though there is no stuttering on my monitor through the HDMI passthrough or monitor being cloned. This happens in the video preview without recording or streaming. In OBS, there is no rendering or encoding lag showing in the stats.

Stuttering Video When Capturing Games Console: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzT3Fi4_ulM
Stuttering Video When Capturing Cloned Display: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro-j5T-5UJQ

I initially thought the cause was my Elgato 4K60Pro MK.2, so I bought a different card—a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI 4K Plus LT—but the exact same problem persists with this capture card, too, ruling them out as the cause. I've tried both them in both PCIe Slots 3 and 5. Problem persists. (Slot 1 is populated by my GPU, and Slots 2 and 4 are only x1—forget about them. Slot 1 is PCIe 4.0 x16, Slot 3 is PCIe 4.0 x8—which when used, drops Slot 1 to x8—and Slot 5 is PCIe 4.0 x4. That is: x16/x0/x4 or x8/x8/x4. Slots 1 and 3 use the Ryzen CPU lanes, and Slot 5 uses the X570 chipset lanes.)

I normally have my Focusrite external audio interface plugged into a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card (a Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge V1), which is plugged into PCIe Slot 5, so I tried disabling Thunderbolt in the MB's BIOS. Problem persists. I've even tried plugging the capture cards into an external PCIe to Thunderbolt 3 external enclosure (a HighPoint RocketStor 6661A), and plugging that into the TB card (in PCIe Slot 5). Problem persists. I've tried three different MB BIOSes (ASRock X570 Taichi BIOS versions 3.40, 3.00, and 2.70). Problem persists.

I've tried OBS, VirtualDub, Elgato 4K Capture Utility, and Magewell Capture Express. Problem persists. I've tried the x264 and new NVENC encoders, and various settings, resolutions, and frame rates in the softwares. Problem persists. The exact same video stuttering shows in all programs, whatever the settings are. As I said in the beginning, this happens whether I'm capturing a games console or I'm capturing my PC (in a single PC setup via duplicating my desktop).

I've tried turning off my GPU overclocking software (MSI Afterburner). Problem persists. I've tried disabling my second and third monitors. Problem persists. I've tried disabling G-Sync and messing with various other settings in Nvidia Control Panel. Problem persists.

I've updated Windows, all my software, drivers, firmware, etc. Problem persists.

Other than all this, about the only thing that I haven't tried out is throwing my PC out of my window! As I've already said, this intermittent video stuttering only shows in the capture; it doesn't show in the HDMI passthrough to my main monitor.

So, I've ruled out the capture cards, having Thunderbolt enabled in my BIOS, the capturing softwares and their encoding settings, and a dodgy motherboard BIOS. My CPU and RAM seem to be working well (they pass all tests in Memetest86). And my GPU seems to working well (no crashing or glitching in testing and playing intensive modern 3D games). I plan on upgrading my GPU to an RTX 3080 or 3090 soon (when I can get a hold of either one of them), which are PCIe 4.0, which my motherboard supports, so I'll see if that changes anything.

Anyway, what else could possibly be causing the problem? Could it by the motherboard? Everything else in my system works fine, including my Thunderbolt add-in card and audio interface when plugged into PCIe Slot 5. Could the motherboard be incompatible with capture cards??

My system:

I've also posted about this in an oldish thread on the Linus Tech Tips forums here (beginning from the third post down), where two other people seemed to have had the same problem:

If you read my posts there, you'll know that because of this problem I've gone insane and I'm now living in the woods. O_O Please get me out of the fucking woods. Someone. Anyo
This is just trolling now. Goodbye.
I have the same problem as you, I tried to do tests on other computers and the same thing happened to me and I already discovered what it is, the problem is caused by the RTX graphics cards, try any other that is not from that series and you will see that the stuttering will disappear completely, I tried a laptop with a GTX 1070 graphics card and it runs super smooth, try to try another video card that is not RTX and you will see that the stuttering will disappear (sorry for my bad english)

I'm guessing you would have updated this thread if you found a solution but any update on this at all? I have been spending weeks trying everything I can think of, I even built an entirely new computer, but the problem still persists.

GordoRlz

I'm guessing you would have updated this thread if you found a solution but any update on this at all? I have been spending weeks trying everything I can think of, I even built an entirely new computer, but the problem still persists.
I have come to think that this problem really happens to everyone but not everyone notices it, I have tried OBS on three different computers and the problem persists

I have come to think that this problem really happens to everyone but not everyone notices it, I have tried OBS on three different computers and the problem persists
I wouldn't put it past a lot of people to just not notice it which is fair enough, but it still doesn't explain why for a lot of us, after years of using OBS with no issues, it suddenly pops up and there's no way to get rid of it, even by switching entire hardware.

R@de

My ASUS CU4K30 also gets these little stutters randomly, the only way I cured this was to enable buffering on the video capture device in OBS.

TKTV

My ASUS CU4K30 also gets these little stutters randomly, the only way I cured this was to enable buffering on the video capture device in OBS.
I mentioned the buffer option a while back as a solution for capture cards and it does indeed work. Unfortunately, there is no similar option for game/window/display capture.

Padremayi

The Problem:

[...]

If you read my posts there, you'll know that because of this problem I've gone insane and I'm now living in the woods. O_O Please get me out of the fucking woods. Someone. Anyone.
I found the source of the stuttering, it is possible to completely remove the problem but it is not possible to remove it in real time while recording. You need to remove the stuttering source on the recorded video.

It is systematic and predictable and thinking of it after found the problem it is very obvious (the problem is not OBS)

rockbottom

12900k/3090, normally I run (3) 1080p monitors @ 60FPS. All good no stuttering.

Alternate set-up is 2160p & I use a Fit Headless GS @ 2160p 30FPS as my 4th monitor with Projector Preview to Monitor 3. I noticed if I leave monitor 3 @ 60FPS, stuttering. Set it @ 30FPS, no stuttering.

Also, if you're using v28.0.1 & the Custom Output with NVENC, try the P1-P7 Presets. I'm getting nice performance & quality gains compared to the old Presets.

RevealTheKraken

Made this account just to put in my observations. I have used the same setup for the last 2 years with no issues and all of a sudden have this issue.

Gaming pc specs
5900x
Asus Tuf x570 plus Mobo
3070FE
32gb of Corsair Vengance ram 3200mhz
MSI MAG321CQR Monitor 144hz
Windows 10

Streaming pc specs
3800x
Msi x470 gaming plus mobo
5500xt
16gb of Corsair Vengance ram 3200mhz
Capture card is a Avermedia Live gamer 2 plus
MSI MAG272CQR Monitor 165hz
Windows 10
X264 encoding

I have no idea why this suddenly started happening. I use the capture card in free pc mode and do not use the passthrough feature. It has to be a framerate issue between my gaming pc and capture card because if I capture my streaming pc's monitor the issue is not there in obs. Looked at a stream from 3 days ago and the issue was not there, fast forward to last night and it was pretty bad to the point I shut the stream down and spent the next 6 hours pulling my hair out. The only thing I succeeded to do is make the issue seemingly worse. I did notice that when projecting my gaming monitor to the capture card the task bar at the bottom is very pixelated as well as boxy. I'm going to try a new usb cable and hdmi tonight when I get home. If I find anything a think may be remotely helpful to anyone I'll post back. Good Luck to everyone having this issue!

Padremayi

As I said before it is possible to completely remove the stuttering AFTER recording. The problem is the different framerate between source, capture card output and OBS setting

RevealTheKraken

As I said before it is possible to completely remove the stuttering AFTER recording. The problem is the different framerate between source, capture card output and OBS setting
I mean that's fine if you are just recording, but I'm having this issue while streaming as well. I've been reading the forum and taking some notes of things to try. Guess I'm gonna use the old throw stuff at the wall until it sticks method.

The Problem:

My system:

Hey… so i figured this out by accident. I had my set up at another apartment and after my move I realized that my video had stutters and that had never happened before. I tried everything under the sun and could not figure it out. Then while looking at my connections I noticed that I was using a long white USB C cable from my HD60 S+ capture card to the PC. I remembered that this was a long cable I used to use at my old place for my mic because of where I had to set it up. I changed the cable with the USB C that I had previously used at my old apartment a very good thick and about 3’ long cable and it worked immediately! I did some research and cable quality does play a roll here and my set up is back to being as smooth as butter!! Hope this helps.