[Deleted.]

• Thread starter Deleted member 225844
  • Start date

Chunky1311

Do we know if using a Resizable BAR affects OBS in any way?
I've had it enabled for as long as I can remember, I might fiddle with that and see if there is any difference.

Tonyturbo78

I can also confirm this niggling issue, it's driven me crazy for years spanning across 3 different incredibly high end gaming systems with very powerful streaming rigs using various top end capture cards. I spend days and days every few months trying to work out this micro stutter that occurs for a few seconds every minute or so. Zero dropped frames happen both on hardware or network. I've tried cloning, I've tried sending preview to streaming pc, I've tried passthrough, I've tried NDI... I've tried limiting fps to 60 on both gaming and streaming monitors, with vsync on/off, adaptive sync on/off, various other control panel settings... You name it I've done it. But nothing gives me the super smooth gameplay that I see many top tier content creators display on their YouTube videos or live streams.

At this point it's total luck of the draw I'm sure regarding what precise hardware combination you have in your system. I'm actually at a point now where I think using £5k water cooled rigs with the absolute highest flagship setups in both gaming and streaming pcs with the bestest capture cards actually works against you. As stupid as that sounds I'm at the point now like many others in here are of absolute rage and frustration that nothing gives me the buttery smooth recordings as I see others have. It's gotten to a point now where I just give in and put up with it. Sooner or later something will happen where all of a sudden I get that buttery smooth 1 to 1 recording of my gameplay, but until then I'm done with getting frustrated trying to chase perfection.... Over the years I've spent way to much money and wasted way to many days trying to resolve this little problem.

Tonyturbo78

Couldn't find an edit button but wanted to add.... The general response is always to cap fps to 60 or 120 (which I do I might add) ....yet go look at Shroud for a perfect example of how buttery smooth his gameplay is using an UNCAPPED frame rate in his GPS content, yet the video never stutters once in hours of streaming. So how is that done when his frames are going all over the place? According to all the gurus this is not possible to be smooth as frame time is all over the place.

TryHD

One of the problems is that OBS does use direct draw for composing the output which needs pretty much infinite single core performance and a other is that they don't sync with frames and instead to say it in easy words, take whatever is there at the time (to not block the render thread) which can result in maybe grabbing one frame later than expected or having a dublicate if the new frame is not in time there which results in stutter. So having a system which does all in the right timing is pretty lucky.

OoRacket

I've had the issue myself for maybe 6 months now, I didn't notice it before at all in the previous 3 years of streaming and recording, but it's suddenly creeped up. Maybe it was always there and it's just more obvious now, but I never caught on to it when watching back anything.

I've seen it creep in more in a lot of other streamers I watch too. Especially in the sim-racing community over the past few months, which is the main thing that helped easy my sanity a bit before seeing these posts, as I thought I was going crazy. Noticed it a lot in Jimmy Broadbent and GPLaps content recently, for example.

Don't know what setups they're using for recording and streaming but it's absolutely the same stutter I've seen from myself, and also posted in this threat.

SuperWhisk

Tested PC-free recording with the 4K60 S+. Problem persists. There is no stuttering when playing the games through the passthrough, but there is stuttering in the recordings.

:|
Am I reading this right? You recorded the output from your console with an external device and the PC was not involved or connected in any way... and the issue persists?
Did you try playing back the recording on a device OTHER than your PC? Or did you upload the file directly to youtube without any modification for us to see?

If this issue persists when your PC and/or OBS is not even involved then that points to this issue being caused by some other part of your setup.

Others here previously wondered about power issues and cable issues, and these are about the only things left that I can think of too if the above is correct. To rule out power issues is there any way you can run a test with all devices running off of some sort of battery? Perhaps capture with a laptop running on battery (not sure how to power the console on battery without a UPS or similar)? That would isolate AC electrical line noise since the battery is DC. Have you ever tried in another location (friend/relative's house?). Are you able to borrow a completely different set of HDMI cables from a friend to try? (you could buy new ones too but I don't want you spending more money when you don't know if it will fix the issue)

Sorry if you have tried half of these things, I'm just trying to help. This whole thread has been very strange to read.

Tomasz Góral

Maybe help hardware encoder, like Avermedia gc311, this grabber have encoder h264, to get compressed data use ffmpeg and Linux.
I build Raspberry pi and gc311, modem lte as mobile streaming device and free from capture problems.
This design is pc independent.

Deullcore

Well ive tried every version of windows ive tried every nvidia driver possible for my video card ( rtx 2060 super) ive tested amd cpus ive tested intel cpus and i can assure you its OBS that is the problem as when i use mirillis action its perfect everytime unfortunately mirillis isnt as flexiblle as OBS but it just works perfect

Chunky1311

Holy shit, Tomasz, to reiterate what old mate said to you earlier:
Exit the conversation if you have nothing helpful to add.

Telling everyone they're wrong and the problems is non existent is beyond useless.

kaze_gif

Considering how this topic has been around for a while without getting a proper solution. I thought I'd share what worked for me. maybe it will help for some.

I and my brother are both using RTX 3070, with the major differences being that I'm using an AMD platform while he is using an Intel one. For me, streaming always felt fine out of the box. While he was having stuttering issues on streams and recorded videos whether it's done using x264 or NVEC.

Solution: Apparently in our case the culprit was windows power options. I always put it on "high performance" when I do fresh windows installations, and I do it out of habit without thinking about it too much. Since my brother installs his OS on his own it was left on "balanced" mode. after changing this to "high performance", both streams and recordings are better now.

I hope this helped out someone.

Sleazy831

not sure if this will help for you, but I was having the same issue with my video stuttering in obs and after the video was recorded. I was using two monitors, one to record and one to see the feed. all on the same graphics card(3090fe). what help me was I set all setting to 60 hertz/fps in the game, the pc, and the monitor/NVidia settings. make sure you check everything, because I changed everything and forgot one setting and the problem persisted until I found it and changed it to 60. once I did that everything worked buttery smooth.

msiamax

i have this same problem tested with elgato 4k60 pro and a 4k60 pro mk2 and a evga xr1 on a intel and amd rig with a 6900xt

Heatherfield

I think I had a similar but different problem from what the OP is suffering from.

I am using a 4k pro mk2 to capture hdmi output from my Panasonic G9 and was seeing intermittent stutters in OBS previews and they do get recorded as well (either x264 or nvenc). It is not very severe but very obvious to my eyes. However, Elgato's 4k Capture Utilities work just fine.

I was able to resolve my issue by changing the output fps in the "Video" setting tab from 60fps to what was shown here in the "configure video" view (59.94 fps - NTSC standard):
Snipaste_2022-01-13_22-31-06.png

Hope this might help someone.

TKTV

Enable buffering in the elgato capture card setting in obs. Removed all my stutters in recording/streams.

Unfortunately not an option for game capture, display capture etc. I still have issues with those.

Chunky1311

The issue appears to be resolved for me so I'll state here what I'd done.

I changed from Win10 to Win11, though I doubt that contributed.
It's well known that RTSS and MSI Afterburner conflicted with OBS, however I was under the impression that this was only if overlays were enabled!
Now though, the latest RTSS has the option to use Microsoft Detours to inject.
OBS has also now migrated to using Microsoft Detours as their injection method.
Microsoft Detours is specifically designed to behave nicely with multiple MS Detours injections.
Checking the box to have RTSS use MS Detours, + OBS now using it, has resolved all stuttering issues I was having!
Just that simple change.
I'm legitimately shook at how smooth OBS records now.
I'll also state that this smoothness is while having G-sync enabled, with a framerate limiter set to 60fps (the same as OBS is recording at).
Dropping below that 60fps, while smooth for me cos G-sync, does show a stutter in recordings. It just looks like what dropping below 60fps on a normal V-Sync monitor would look like, so I I find that perfectly acceptable.

tl;dr, if you use RTSS, update to the latest version and check the box to have it inject via Microsoft Detours.

Attachments

• MS Detours.png
    MS Detours.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 213

TKTV

The issue appears to be resolved for me so I'll state here what I'd done.

I changed from Win10 to Win11, though I doubt that contributed.
It's well known that RTSS and MSI Afterburner conflicted with OBS, however I was under the impression that this was only if overlays were enabled!
Now though, the latest RTSS has the option to use Microsoft Detours to inject.
OBS has also now migrated to using Microsoft Detours as their injection method.
Microsoft Detours is specifically designed to behave nicely with multiple MS Detours injections.
Checking the box to have RTSS use MS Detours, + OBS now using it, has resolved all stuttering issues I was having!
Just that simple change.
I'm legitimately shook at how smooth OBS records now.
I'll also state that this smoothness is while having G-sync enabled, with a framerate limiter set to 60fps (the same as OBS is recording at).
Dropping below that 60fps, while smooth for me cos G-sync, does show a stutter in recordings. It just looks like what dropping below 60fps on a normal V-Sync monitor would look like, so I I find that perfectly acceptable.

tl;dr, if you use RTSS, update to the latest version and check the box to have it inject via Microsoft Detours.

Congrats on your solution. I got excited until I realized I no longer run Afterburner.