[Deleted.]

• Thread starter Deleted member 225844
  • Start date

WillemS

By the way, I'm sticking to my offer of £300 to anyone who solves this problem for me—boom: straight into your PayPal account. Fucking Hell! I can think of infinitely more ways to better spend my free time than this! And there's only so much of this shit that a person like me can take! Ha! I swear my beard is looking greyer today, you know!

Life is too short to be dealing with stuttering video capture problems!
I have been searching for a solution of a similar problem for days (not the same type of stutter though). Turns out that choosing the High Performance power plan in Windows solved it. Couldn't be more simple. You tried this probably, but you didn't mention it.

Also using a Ryzen 3900, x570, 5700XT here as well with the stuttering issue on a CamLink4k. Except I'm running MacOS 10.15
The problem is I'm seeing in OBS on MacOS is Much much worse.

After watching a video about MacOS having issues on multiple hardware platforms, I booted into Windows 10 that's already set up for high performance. I can verify the issue definitely does not exist and I'm seeing smooth video from a Video Camera. While I wasn't planning on using Windows for streaming.. It's a workaround.

vigrond

Try setting OBS Video settings to 64 fps instead of 60.

I've found OBS uses some CPU if the FPS is not a factor of 8, which may cause your stuttering.

fatmatrow

Tried disabling both CCD 1 and simultaneous multithreading in Ryzen Master (which made me feel quite insecure). Problem persists.

(Reminder: This problem exists with all video capture software I've tried: OBS, VirtualDub, Elgato 4K Capture Utility, Magewell Capture Express, and Action; and it seems to be specific to Ryzen and/or X570 systems.)
I've tried different mobos and ryzen gens and it is not mobo specific

carlmmii

Just want to first say... hi. I'm right there with you on this journey. Similar platform (3950x on x570 taichi, as well as 3900x on Asus Tuf x570), similar issues with stuttering in preview.

Something I've come to notice is that OBS's preview is not smooth, and it is not indicative of what goes into the actual recording. As in, even if you have stuttering in the preview, you may have a perfectly clean recording.

To add extra problems into the mix, VLC doesn't even have smooth 60fps playback. It's leaps better than the default windows media player, but it will have the occasional stutters randomly, and at different places depending on the specifics of playback. Even worse, it has a frame-by-frame option (the 'e' key), but that breaks after too many consecutive frames have been stepped through, which makes it near useless for actually verifying whether something is actually a baked-in stutter.

The only way I've successfully been able to verify recording integrity is by either using YouTube's frame-step option (the period '.' key), or by importing the video into DaVinci Resolve and stepping frame-by-frame.

… or, by playing the video on my MacBook, either in OS X or in Windows 7.

Basically, anything to get away from windows playback. That seems to be the underlying problem -- Windows 10 for whatever reason has broken media playback, and is unable to sync properly with display refresh rates for the content needing to be displayed. Even running the display(s) at 120hz does not help the issue.

There may be options to help windows 10 playback issues (someone mentioned overriding the power profile to force High Performance, as well as ensuring G-sync is disabled/full-screen only), but before any of that is tackled, you should do an actual verification that the recordings (not the preview) have stuttering in them (not just going by normal video playback -- take them into an editor and check frame-by-frame).

RyEk

Sorry for my bad English. I have Elgato 4K60 Pro MK2 and i have stuttering too but only with OBS with any resolution recording video, but in Elgato 4K Capture Utility stuttering is only in prewiev window but it's not here in captured videos. I think it is problem with OBS but i don't know why.
I have 2 PC: 1-gamming, 2-streaming. On gamming PC with RTX3070 when I record game with OBS it is everything OK but on streaming PC on the same time record with Elgato I have stuttering from times to times on every recording resolution. Gaming PC is on Ryzen 5 3600 and RTX3070 and streaming PC is on Ryzen 5 5600g APU + Elgato. Maybe i will try OBS in Linux ?

Last edited:

Gpalm

Try this: https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/actions/runs/1244236413
That help me get rid of the stutters, I had exactly the same symptoms
Build was updated 10 days ago with DXGI buffering, I'm sure it will help you
So, use Screen Capture with DXGI

M3t4lz0n3

Dear All,

Found a fix for this, instead of choosing the default "Elgato Game Capture HD". Choose the highlighted instead. See if this work's for you. Cheers~!

PS: If you have a 2nd monitor, do not run OBS on that monitor. Run it on the main monitor. Super buttery smooth guaranteed. :D

1639360840784.png

Last edited:

Chunky1311

The sheer amount of people suffering this issue with NONE of the forum posts provide any real help or answers.
It's been YEARS.

Worth noting, in my case at least, I tried Xsplit and SLOBS, the issue persists.
I've resorted to using 'Special K' (Kaldaien's Mod) as a troubleshooting device, to no avail.
Not even the power of that glorious program is any help >:c

Is it so difficult to have some sort of buffer for the frames being captured?
I got my hopes up when I saw Xsplit had an option to "Smooth frame rate" but it didn't seem to make any difference for me.

Tomasz Góral

Because is not true issue.
Why : too much variable

1. Operating system
2. Program who generate video frames (game, video input source)
3. Recording system
4. Framerate - some popular: 23.976 FPS for movie (but short version 24FPS), 25 FPS, 29.97 FPS, 30 FPS, 50 FPS, 59.94 FPS, 60 FPS
5. Your eys - yeep some people can't watch like you

These are my thoughts on this.

Chunky1311

Because is not true issue.
Why : too much variable

1. Operating system
2. Program who generate video frames (game, video input source)
3. Recording system
4. Framerate - some popular: 23.976 FPS for movie (but short version 24FPS), 25 FPS, 29.97 FPS, 30 FPS, 50 FPS, 59.94 FPS, 60 FPS
5. Your eys - yeep some people can't watch like you

These are my thoughts on this.

Well, thank you for showing you haven't read the posts here at all, I guess.
Plenty of log files and information...

1. Well we're all Windows 10 or 11. Win7, Linux, and Apple aren't ideal gaming platforms.
2. Irrelevant, it happens with all captures (game, screen, window).
3. OBS? Though again, irrelevant; neither NVENC nor x264 makes a difference to this issue.
4. You literally just spat out numbers, well done. I've personally tried 60, 50, and 30 fps, the issue plagues all. Ideally we're wanting smooth 60.
5. Yes... my (our?) eyes are sensitive to the stuttering... that's why we want it fixed...

Tomasz Góral

Read about Real Time OS, in RTOS all is on time.
All programs (like game) working fast as possible - not in time, not in 50 or 60 or 30 FPS (of course they have timers worst or better).

e.g. game working almost in time 28 to 31 FPS, timer in recording software catch video frame in 29-30 FPS is not possible to synchronize view from game and catch frame on time.

Either you accept some inconveniences or you are looking for the holy grail of software video recording.
The closest to the solution is hardware video recording.

fatmatrow

Read about Real Time OS, in RTOS all is on time.
All programs (like game) working fast as possible - not in time, not in 50 or 60 or 30 FPS (of course they have timers worst or better).

e.g. game working almost in time 28 to 31 FPS, timer in recording software catch video frame in 29-30 FPS is not possible to synchronize view from game and catch frame on time.

Either you accept some inconveniences or you are looking for the holy grail of software video recording.
The closest to the solution is hardware video recording.
I have been streaming since 2013. This is an issue that's cropped up in the last 2 years or so, beforehand myself and many others didn't have this problem at all. Nobody is expecting a 100 percent perfect stream with no hiccups, but this is a consistent stutter issue that happens regardless of controlling variables like high resource usage etc. You have NO IDEA what you're talking about. Exit the conversation if you have nothing helpful to add