Question / Help Cursor lags in recording, but not WHEN recording!

BeardWix

Hello guys!
I know this is a very common problem, but it's not just "OBS lags".
It's more about the cursor lagging that's the problem; When I view a recording of the screen, it's unbearably laggy to the point that if I move the cursor quickly, it only moves about twice every second.
I'm using Windows 7 on a laptop, which pretty much explains the lagging. But please note that I am not doing heavy work (such as games), I'm just recording the screen for educational purposes and only flip around in browsers and folders a little. Nothing "heavy" going on, except maybe when a new page loads.
HOWEVER, it does NOT lag when I am actually recording the footage! When I am recording, it is very comfortable to use, unless I am doing a lot of things, such as watching a 60 FPS video (I tried, and it lags).
So, how can I:
-Make the cursor not lag in the recordings
-Make OBS lag less entirely
-And if none of the above are possible, is there some program I can use to "emulate" a cursor? Like, add it afterwards or during the recording to add a smooth cursor?

Thank you! I went through a lot of free screen recorders (even paid ones), and this one's my favorite! :)

koala

Your original Windows cursor never lags, because it is drawn by some lowlevel function within Windows itself, not by some application. It always works lag-less, even if Windows itself has long frozen up. The mouse pointer always works.

If it lags only in your recordings, it may be that the recording has a very low frame rate, for example because many frames are skipped due to encoding or rendering lag. The information you gave about your system (Windows 7, not upgraded to Windows 10, and not able to watch 60 fps videos) suggest you have a not very powerful machine, so the lack of computing resources may be the cause of your choppy video. To lower the demand of system resources, reduce the output resolution, reduce fps (15 is fine if you demonstrate mostly static content), use hardware encoder if possible instead of x264.

BeardWix

Your original Windows cursor never lags, because it is drawn by some lowlevel function within Windows itself, not by some application. It always works lag-less, even if Windows itself has long frozen up. The mouse pointer always works.

If it lags only in your recordings, it may be that the recording has a very low frame rate, for example because many frames are skipped due to encoding or rendering lag. The information you gave about your system (Windows 7, not upgraded to Windows 10, and not able to watch 60 fps videos) suggest you have a not very powerful machine, so the lack of computing resources may be the cause of your choppy video. To lower the demand of system resources, reduce the output resolution, reduce fps (15 is fine if you demonstrate mostly static content), use hardware encoder if possible instead of x264.

Thanks for the help!
I think I might have phrased it wrong though; I can watch 60 FPS, 4K videos on it, just not while RECORDING my screen. Then it becomes unbearably choppy. But yeah, the laptop is pretty old.
It turns out I had the FPS set at 60 (silly me), but will lowering it to 30 or 15 still make the mouse movement smooth? I'll have to try it out :)
Anyways, again, thank you for the help, and if possible, could you tell me other ways of lowering lag? I'd like to experiment with various ways until I find a combination I like.