Current video card driver does not support this NVENC version, please update your drivers.

soccerphiz

Hi,

Recently whenever I try to stream with my encoder set to Hardware (NVENC) I am unable to start and recieve the error message:

"Failed to start streaming
Failed to open NVENC codec: Function not implemented
Please check your video drivers are up to date."

I am able to stream if I set my encoder to Software (x264), but the stream quality is very poor and laggy.

I stream using an ASUS ROG GL502VMK. These are the specs for the laptop I believe:

I have updated my driver to the newest available driver on ASUS' website. (Using GL502VMK, Windows 10 64-bit):

Here is the obsproject log:

At the end of the log:
18:33:05.146: error: Driver does not support the required nvenc API version. Required: 9.0 Found: 8.0
18:33:05.146: error: The minimum required Nvidia driver for nvenc is 418.81 or newer
18:33:05.146: [NVENC encoder: 'simple_h264_stream'] Failed to open NVENC codec: Function not implemented
18:33:05.146: Stream output type 'rtmp_output' failed to start! Last Error: Your current video card driver does not support this NVENC version, please update your drivers.

I believe the problem is because the newest driver provided by ASUS is older than 418.81.

How can I fix this problem in order to continue streaming?

I can provide any other information needed to fix problem.

Thanks.

How can I fix the problem in order to stream?

VenomSWR

This is what I am thinking, however, I do not know how to get the correct driver from nvidia.
Do you have NVidia GEForce installed ? It litterally downloads drivers for you when there are new ones released, and you can install them from there, so you'll never have to go to the NVidia site to download that again. If you have your NVidia drivers installed you should have an NVidia logo in your taskbar (where your sound and internet status are), right-click it, chose "NVidia GEForce", it'll launch, go to the "drivers" tab, and voilà !

TIME4MUSIC

IT HINK THERE IS AN ISSUE BETWEEN ASUS NVDIA GEFORCE VIDEO CARDS AND THE NEW OBS UPDATE, I ALSO HAVE AN ASUS STRIX LAPTOP WITH AN UPDATED GEFORCE GTX 970M DRIVER 23.21.13.8873 (UPDATED 12/18/17) MIGRATED ON 10/16/2020; BEFORE I UPDATED TO 26.1.1 I HAD NO ISSUES, NOW EVEN WHEN I DELETED THE UPDATED VERSION AND WENT BACK TO 26.0 SAME ISSUES REMAINS- GONNA TRY TO GO BACK TO 25. AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

Harold

IT HINK THERE IS AN ISSUE BETWEEN ASUS NVDIA GEFORCE VIDEO CARDS AND THE NEW OBS UPDATE, I ALSO HAVE AN ASUS STRIX LAPTOP WITH AN UPDATED GEFORCE GTX 970M DRIVER 23.21.13.8873 (UPDATED 12/18/17) MIGRATED ON 10/16/2020; BEFORE I UPDATED TO 26.1.1 I HAD NO ISSUES, NOW EVEN WHEN I DELETED THE UPDATED VERSION AND WENT BACK TO 26.0 SAME ISSUES REMAINS- GONNA TRY TO GO BACK TO 25. AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS
Your issue is that your GPU drivers are over three years out of date

Zahra Panjali

Hi guys I have solved this problem for myself easily by changing the output setting encoder to other options, hope it is considered a good solution for you.

Attachments

• Error-fixing.JPG
    Error-fixing.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 10,803

HOW DO YOU GO BACK TO AN OLDER VERSION

PLS TY

l7077ark

Hello
Sorry to bump this again but seems so much easier then starting new thread and explaining the same thing. I'm trying to start using OBS and having the same problem, happen to have similar Asus laptop with a 1060. Hopefully someone knows of a workaround?

r4spberry

Update your nvidia drivers. Done
I can't. I am limited by 422.15. Can I instead downgrade OBS and ffmpeg? If yes, how?
Some people also badly need a handbrake version supporting this 422.15 nvidia driver (back in 2018).
thank you.

it_just_works

If updating drivers didn't help, then try downgrading OBS to the last 27-series version (27.2.4).

Especially if your computer is not new.

I've made a video of the whole process:
1. Showing/reproducing problem.
2. Uninstalling OBS.
3. Downloading and installing older version (not much different than new).
4. Testing.

Vasco1377

So what exactly is the point of this software if it doesn't work on anything bar the latest hardware? Donate to developers? In their dreams, I'll pay for registration of Bandicam instead.

Harold

If by "Latest hardware" you mean "anything from the nvidia 900-series and newer", sure you may have an argument, but that's still 5 generations of video card that things work just fine on. Update your nvidia drivers.

Alexsdfsdf

I have the same error message, I'm on a laptop with a Nvidia T500, updated all drivers through Nvidia itself. Fixed by going to Settings > Output > Recording, then changing Video Encoder to Hardware (QSV, H.264).

The current error message seem to send people of into the wrong direction.